Which chapters to send?

Emy

Registered
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but I have no shame, so I'll ask it anyway :)

If an agent asks for "the first chapter and two other chapters" from a novel, would it preferable to send them chapters 2 & 3, so that they can be read in a sequential order and the agent can get a feel for your style etc. ... or is is better to send them chapters from the middle and end, to show how your plot develops?

I've had a look through some older posts and couldn't find an answer to this. Thanks for any help!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Emy, not a stupid question at all, since I've seen it asked and answered at every writing site.

Send the first three. It will do no harm to enclose a one-page synopsis to show how your plot develops.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Usually, agents want the first 3 chapters, or the first 50 pages, so I would send 1-3. I had one partial request where the publisher wanted first 3 chapters and the last chapter.

Sounds odd for the agent to request "two other chapters."

You may want to search AW for that agent/agency's thread. You're likely to get your answer there.

Emy

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both! I am finding this whole process so bizarre. So many tricks and loopholes, I'm always second-guessing myself.
Emy

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely, send the first three chapters.