PDA

View Full Version : Fast acting muscle relaxer...

Branwyn
10-13-2008, 07:25 AM
I looked through about 30 pages of posts and couldn't find what I need. A drug that can be added to a liquid--to be ingested--that will make a person woozy and...pliable within a few minutes. I had a benzo mentioned and my editor didn't think it was believable.
I wasn't going to mention a name, but I don't think that's going to fly either.

Thanks.

mrockwell
10-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Something like GHB? There was a product, Aquadots, that had a liquid filling which, if ingested, produced effects very similar to those caused by GHB, so depending on your time period/age of the one doing the dosing, that might be another option.

-- Marcy

jennifer75
10-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Not sure if a Vic can be disolved or not, but I'm sure if it could be, you'd have your muscle relaxer.

whooooooooooooooo those Vic's are potent.

DisenchantedDoc
10-14-2008, 05:34 AM
If you want to drug someone, the GHB and Roofies are the drugs of choice.

Most prescription muscle relexers take about 30-60 minutes to start working, and most don't dissolve easily.

Of course, there's always liquid morphine. A few drops under the tongue is all you need. Very potent and fast acting.

ColoradoGuy
10-14-2008, 05:49 AM
There is no oral agent that can work reliably within a few minutes. Even on an empty stomach, most agents will take about 15 minutes. In my day job I give all these kinds of drugs (and consider myself an expert on them), and I think your editor is wrong -- a benzodiazepine in liquid form would be best.

All these sedative drugs work centrally, that is on the brain, and not directly on the muscles. Specific muscle relaxers are injected, work very quickly, and don't affect level of consciousness. They are dangerous to give to someone in an uncontrolled situation because they paralyze the person (which is, in fact, what we want them to do) and make them unable to breathe.

Among the benzodiazepines you would have two reasonable choices. Diazepam (Valium), the granddaddy of the group, is too slow in onset. Better would be lorazepam (Ativan), which comes as either a liquid or a pill. Midazolam (Versed) also works even faster if you give the IV form out of the vial orally, but it has a very bitter taste that is hard to disguise (chocolate syrup seems to work best at hiding it, but it's still bitter).

ETA: Remember that the individual response to all these drugs is just that--individual. So predicting exactly how a person will respond to a given dose is no more than a rough guess based upon body weight. When I want to produce a specific level of unawareness in a patient I nearly always have to titrate the drug, giving dribs and drabs until I have the person just where I want them to be.

2Wheels
10-16-2008, 05:45 AM
What about ketamine? A controlled substance frequently abused, and can be taken orally in beverages (according to Wikipedia).