Is this snotty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thistle

Hipster Doofus
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a query to Writer-Base.com two weeks ago and received an encouragement to re-apply. I had other projects I was working on, so I didn't re-apply until today.

Here's what I received in reply:

We are no longer seeking applicants. Two weeks, you will concede, is quite a long time in the business world, and I regret to inform you that we have moved on. Consult writer-base.com for future updates.

I think that second sentence is snotty. Maybe I'm just sensitive, but I feel like I've been dumped before the first date! Moved on...honestly.

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
Would you rather get We are no longer seeking applicants. We found a bunch of really great writers who could probably write circles around you, and quite frankly, we don't need you, or your sort, anymore. You can check back, but really, what's the point?

See? That would be snotty.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
thistle said:
I submitted a query to Writer-Base.com two weeks ago and received an encouragement to re-apply. I had other projects I was working on, so I didn't re-apply until today.

We are no longer seeking applicants. Two weeks, you will concede, is quite a long time in the business world, and I regret to inform you that we have moved on. Consult writer-base.com for future updates.

I think that second sentence is snotty. Maybe I'm just sensitive, but I feel like I've been dumped before the first date! Moved on...honestly.

Yep, that was snotty...testy even. I think would have said it differently because I'm interested in leaving a good impression. That said, I don't do what that respondent does for a living. I work for a company that bonuses it's employees very nicely for high customer satisfaction scores. So I would have said:

"Thank you for your correspondence. We are not seeking further applicants at this time. Two weeks is quite a long time in our fast-paced online world, and we have all the material needed for now. Please consult writer-base.com for future updates." I think the bit about 2 weeks is ok to keep in as it lets you know what to expect in the future...anyway, my 2 cents...

thistle

Hipster Doofus
Registered
Reaction score
Dawno said:
Yep, that was snotty...testy even.

Thanks, Dawno. I don't mind that they have enough writers or even that I shouldn't have waited two weeks. I understand that everyone has deadlines and quotas, etc. However, the person didn't have to be so snotty.

pepperlandgirl said:
We are no longer seeking applicants. We found a bunch of really great writers who could probably write circles around you, and quite frankly, we don't need you, or your sort, anymore. You can check back, but really, what's the point?

Um, Pepper, I think that crosses the line from snotty to evil. :) I suppose I should be grateful the editor hadn't crossed to the dark side... (You scare me...) :gone:

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
You think I'm scary now, wait until I have real power....BWAAHAHAHAHAHA!

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Hey Thistle -

I think that just falls into the category of...Why? Why? As in, why does someone feel the need to ADD a phrase like that? I'm sorry - yes, it's their perogative to use whatever rejection language they want, but Why? Who is it serving? What do they accomplish by doing that? Honestly - I'm sorry, but I just think such language speaks poorly about the market, about the individual representing the market in whatever capacity they occupy and frankly, it means that their parents never taught them that someday it could be them on the end of that rejection.

Really now - why? why do people need to word things that way? Silly, silly, silly.

thistle

Hipster Doofus
Registered
Reaction score
mommie4a said:
I think that just falls into the category of...Why? Why? As in, why does someone feel the need to ADD a phrase like that? I'm sorry - yes, it's their perogative to use whatever rejection language they want, but Why? Who is it serving?

Thanks, Jill. I was worried that I was being too sensitive, but it sounded snarky to me, too.

This is why I love AW! You people are a wonderful, supportive sounding board! :Hug2:

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
One thing I have learned in reading AW (especially the Learn Writing thread) and going to other sites that posts here reference, is that rejection letters run the gamut from impersonal form letters to hand written notes of encouragement on impersonal form letters to snark like you got. I'm learning that writers need to be a bit thick skinned.

What I'm trying to say is that this note was snarky and mean and others probably will be too...just don't let it discourage you. I believe in the long run success is the best revenge. :)

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score

I think the word "concede" is the problem. It suggests a battle or at least a chess game: some adversarial encounter. Maybe the note came from a person who doesn't use words precisely and thinks "concede" means agree or acknowledge.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
"Snotty" is the right word. There's an airy, supercilious tone to it that is completely unnecessary...

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, this seems cold. But I would save it. One day you could turn it around and use it on agents. Like,

I am no longer seeking representation. Two years, you will concede, is quite a long time in the business world, and I regret to inform you that I have moved on. Consult the New York Times bestseller list for future updates.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Dawno said:
What I'm trying to say is that this note was snarky and mean and others probably will be too...just don't let it discourage you. I believe in the long run success is the best revenge. :)

This point is well-taken - more snotty, snarky rejections are bound to be in the mail or e-mail. And we do have to just toss them aside and forget them or, as someone else said, wait until we can use them. BUT...I have to say (sorry to be so mommie-ish here) that I really think we don't need to lower ourselves to such tactics. Yeah, it feels good - but again, does it really DO anything for us? Just knowing that what someone else said to us didn't deter us from attaining a goal is adequate (yes, really - it is!!! Come on!)

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
mommie4a said:
Yeah, it feels good - but again, does it really DO anything for us?

Bitching is one of the great pleasures of life. Of course, back in the old country, we could do so much more. We’d be talking and drinking at a sidewalk café, and someone would cry out: LITERARY AGENT! A moment later the agent would go down under a barrage of cobblestones. But this country is so civilized. No stoning allowed, just the bitching.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
From Lord Abinger's judicial summing-up in Fraser v. Berkeley, 1836: `I really think that this assault was carried to a very inconsiderate length, and that if an author is to go and give a beating to a publisher who has offended him, two or three blows with a horsewhip ought to be quite enough to satisfy his irritated feelings.'

wurdwise

Banned
Reaction score
Julie Worth said:
Yes, this seems cold. But I would save it. One day you could turn it around and use it on agents. Like,

I am no longer seeking representation. Two years, you will concede, is quite a long time in the business world, and I regret to inform you that I have moved on. Consult the New York Times bestseller list for future updates.

:Trophy:

bcg61

Something the cat dragged in
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writing-in-the-sand.com
thistle said:

I received a similar reply (I can't access the email right now or I'd quote it); but the difference was that I had applied three weeks ago and never heard anything; so I sent an email asking if they'd received my application. I included my original application attached to the end of my email. The response I received made it sound like mine was a new application and not one they'd had for three weeks. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they should have responded to the original application.

Last edited:

thistle

Hipster Doofus
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I am so over him, no, it. I've moved on. (Insert Drama Queen here.)

Julie Worth said:
I tell you, Julie, I don't think I would ever say that, but it is so fun to think about. I'm printing out a copy to add to my file along with the rejection. Thanks for the smile! :D

Griping about the whole thing has been very theraputic. My husband doesn't get it. He said that a rejection is a rejection: I need to form a tougher skin.

He may be right; however, I think that anything can be managed with professionalism and respect. No one needs a jab on top of a rejection.

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
reph said:
I think the word "concede" is the problem. It suggests a battle or at least a chess game: some adversarial encounter. Maybe the note came from a person who doesn't use words precisely and thinks "concede" means agree or acknowledge.

Concede does mean to agree or acknowledge, albeit reluctantly or unwillingly. I concede, though, that it does have adversarial connotations. :D

The letter sounded pretty snippy to me, unless the person included a two week deadline in the original "please re-apply" note.

thistle

Hipster Doofus
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Soloset, there was no deadline in the original please re-apply note. Let me see if I can find it...

Hi Diane,

Thanks for your email. Your sample indicates that you have the skills we need. However, another author has been assigned the topic of Deciphering Shakespeare. Feel free to select another topic or two for approval, either from the list, or of your own creation. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Writer-Base.com

The tone was encouraging and friendly, not snippy and short.

But, I am so over it! What did I ever see in that guy anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.