Best wayto send agent a full manuscript

Dr. Musgrave

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have an agent requesting the full manuscript of my memoir and I was hoping to get some tips on the proper way to send it. Do you bind it into a 3-ring binder, etc? Any tips would be helpful.

I'm sure the answer is buried in some thread but I'm limited on time with in-laws in town, working nights as a surgical intern, etc.

Thanks!

Dr. Musgrave

Kirby

Destined to serve and roam.
Registered
Reaction score
Do not bind the pages. Make sure your last name, title, and page number are at the top of each page.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Danthia

No bindings, though a rubber band is acceptable. I just wrapped a single sheet of bubble wrap around mine with one small piece of tape to keep it closed, then put the entire thing in a US Postal box. Stuffed the top with paper since the box was a tad too long.

Good luck!

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Adding to the advice, include materials you sent with your original query. I separate my cover letter/original query/synopsis/manu with a colored sheet of paper and bind with a rubber band as stated above. In two cases I was responding to an email request, so I printed out the email and added it to the sub packet. And, I sent mine via Priority Mail.

Good luck on your submission!!

Dr. Musgrave

Registered
Reaction score
So it's going to cost over $30 to print my manuscript at kinkos. I was wondering if I also need to send a SASE. Does anyone actually reuse these manuscripts? I would think it would look used even after one person reading through it. I also don't want to pay $30 every time plus shipping.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
If you want your manuscript returned, you'll need to include a stamped box or padded envelope (with appropriate postage) for its return. I instruct the agent to shred the manuscript (in the cover letter) and include a regular SASE (42 cents postage) for their reply. I agree that once someone has looked at it, the manuscript no longer looks professional and it becomes useless.

BTW - about your Kinko's comment. There've been several discussion on this board about buying a laser printer. A couple of times having copies made at Kinko's will pay for the printer.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...looks like writing, too, requires financial investment before you start seeing the profits (if ever).

I am hoping that any agent who requests a full from me is going to ask for it electronically. That would be immensely helpful for someone on the other side of the planet.

OP: I am under the impression that one should not physically bind the MS in any way. (And if there are any colors on the MS pages (trust me, I've actually seen one with colors) then get rid of them!)

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I would suggest not obsessing about getting it returned- it can't be used to send to another agent as the pages will be obviously read. Let them shred it.
It is really common to used a thick rubber band to hold it together and my publisher (when we are sending manuscripts around) uses those with manuscript boxes- that's the same thing I used when i had an agent ask for a hard copy-
I just received a manuscript to read for a blurb and it was sent the same way-
Many of my requests were for electronic copies and they are much easier.
Don't quibble at the cost- It's the investment you make for your career- the more professional you look the better...

Dr. Musgrave

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your resonses, they were immensely helpful. There were a lot of nuances that I didn't know about that would have made me look like an amateur. The manuscript has officially been mailed. I went with kinkos (~$33) and priority 2-day mail (another $8). Not too bad but I think I will try to print the document myself next time, if there is a next time.

Here's hoping...

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Don't quibble at the cost- It's the investment you make for your career- the more professional you look the better...

Yes I agree. I just have some problems with securing US stamps for SASEs since I'm in Sri Lanka. Shipping costs are significantly higher from here, though for a full MS.