PDA

View Full Version : Why the Writers of Absolute Write DESERVE an 850 BILLION dollar bailout

SherryTex
10-12-2008, 02:43 AM
Congress okayed 850 billion..just like that ...for bad banking decisions...just like that...so I think the writers here, who craft GOOD material, deserve a bit of the pork pie being handed out...I mean, I'll even promise to be patriotic and pay any taxes that Congress then decides to levy on me as part of the new class of the very rich.

But given the small nature of this very well read, well written, DIVERSE community --we have writers from all genres, we have PA victims. We have book authors, magazine and newspaper columnists, creators of comic books, poets and playwrites. We could easily manage this money. What would we do?

We'd promise to put in the BIC time, as we could now eat and write without fear of foreclosure --so we wouldn't contribute to the mortgage crisis. We'd crank out great works that editors would pay for, and which would then make money which we would then pay back into the government. Consider this 850 billion seed money. I promise it would bear good fruit! Who's with me? Call congress today!

joyce
10-12-2008, 02:54 AM
Sounds good to me! I'd rather be bailing out the normal folk than bailing out all these rich bast@$%$ who just plan retreats with the money. :D

regdog
10-12-2008, 02:56 AM
Works for me. When do we schedule our $443,000 spa retreat, after we get our first bailout cheque or before the second?

Disa
10-12-2008, 02:58 AM
Hell, I'd be happy with just the money they spent at the spa. I do my own hair and nails for what less than $40 a month.

Where's the petition, I'll sign it :)

rhymegirl
10-12-2008, 03:17 AM
We'd promise to put in the BIC time, as we could now eat and write without fear of foreclosure --so we wouldn't contribute to the mortgage crisis. We'd crank out great works that editors would pay for

Editors?

If I had a big windfall of money, I'd start my own publishing company and be my own boss--editor, writer, etc.

odocoileus
10-12-2008, 03:30 AM
we could now eat and write without fear of foreclosure --so we wouldn't contribute to the mortgage crisis. We'd crank out great works that editors would pay for,

Why can't you do that now?

Also, what about the artistic ambitions of the people who work to grow and distribute the food, who generate the electricity, who who locate, extract, and refine the gasoline? What about the people who staff the hospitals and run the water and sewage plants, who pick up the trash? Do they get to take time off to play in their polka bands, to paint their watercolors, to customize their '68 Caddies?

joyce
10-12-2008, 03:42 AM
Why can't you do that now?

I could but soon I'd be living under a tree. :)

odocoileus
10-12-2008, 04:13 AM
Work only takes up 50 hours or so a week. Some people work over 60, though. For them I'd recommend a focus on getting their finances in shape.

The question I'm getting at, though, is why should I expect anyone else to work to subsidize my creative endeavors? The guy who delivers eggs to Trader Joe's still has to work, otherwise I don't get breakfast. I in turn have to work so I can indirectly pay him.

Who knows, maybe he'd like to take time off to work on his heavy metal - art rock, music video masterpiece? I'm sure he'd prefer that I keep working, so the traffic here in the Valley doesn't get worse than it already is. So the buses and trains don't quit running because one of the guys who figures out how many buses for how many people for what length of time for how much money, felt like working on screenplays instead of running computer simulations.

Phoebe H
10-12-2008, 04:28 AM
The question I'm getting at, though, is why should I expect anyone else to work to subsidize my creative endeavors?

Because your creative endeavors will enrich society far more than mere money would.

SherryTex
10-12-2008, 05:40 AM
Okay...this was a Mock.

I'm so ready for my spa treatment...please.

LaurieD
10-12-2008, 06:18 AM
Well, SherryTex, it sounds good to me!

ETA: I mean, if $X00,000 is being used to bailout these companies and yet the people largely responsible for the mess they're in are walking away with fat pockets, I agree that those balancing a paying job and a creative career shoulda/coulda/woulda enjoy a little bit of a financial break. Sure, if the guy that changes the price signs at the gas station has a garage band that sounds like mating wild cats - pay him! Maybe his music makes somebody's day a little better, just like books, magazines, comics do.

Unique
10-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Absolute Write deserves a portion of the bailout money because anyone, anywhere can come to our forums and take the pulse of the nation. Indeed, with our international membership, one can take away a measure of opinions from around the globe.

We represent a cross section of America and the World unrivaled on the InterWebs and we are all literate. We're passionate about writing and unafraid to express our opinions. We have members from the Far Left to the Far Right and everyone in between.

MacAllister and Jenna before her have the good grace to let everyone's opinion be shared as long as the said opinion does not degenerate into personal attack.

Our community represents the best of the best from all walks of life.

Rolling Thunder
10-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Can I get enough cash to buy a McMuffin?

Rolling Thunder
10-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Oh. I forgot. Moving this to Office Party.

Unique
10-12-2008, 03:42 PM

Name brand or generic?

Plot Device
10-12-2008, 05:45 PM
I am told (I have no link) there was once a government sponsored art program in Holland where the government would buy something like three paintings per month from all "qualifying artists" in Holland, just to artificially support the arts in that nation. The result was a massive Indiana Jones-style government warehouse full of thousands and thousands of paintings, sitting in crates in the darkness, and getting added to daily for years on end.

The upshot of such a program for "qualifying novelists" is that the only storage the government would need to provide for their purchases would be server space.

Susie
10-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Luvs it! And it's definitely true about all the great writers, etc. here at AW.

SherryTex
10-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Well, SherryTex, it sounds good to me!

ETA: I mean, if $X00,000 is being used to bailout these companies and yet the people largely responsible for the mess they're in are walking away with fat pockets, I agree that those balancing a paying job and a creative career shoulda/coulda/woulda enjoy a little bit of a financial break. Sure, if the guy that changes the price signs at the gas station has a garage band that sounds like mating wild cats - pay him! Maybe his music makes somebody's day a little better, just like books, magazines, comics do.

Bet it makes it better for the mating cats.:D

SherryTex
10-12-2008, 07:26 PM

:Wha:You want one?