Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Shaman or medicine man/woman who CLEANSE houses

I am looking for either a Shaman or Native American Medicine Man/Woman who cleans houses which are haunted. I am especially interested in someone of that category who has experience doing this. Does anyone know of someone I can interview for this? It is for a chapter in my book about haunted houses, which will be published next summer. LAST MINUTE CHAPTER! So I need to make it fast and find the source and write the chapter. If you or someone you know is willing to answer some questions from me, please email Dawn at [email protected]

I have to send this in on Monday evening so a prompt response would be most appreciated. Thank you. :)

Last edited:

comradebunny

"It *is* the rabbitt!"
Registered
Reaction score
I think the ceremony used would depend on which tribe the person came from. I live on a reservation, but this is not a subject I would feel comfortable asking about. Many in my area are very touchy about their practices and ceremonies being "exploited" (which is not what I think you are doing, but I know people who would see it this way).

Would it be possible to change the person who cleanses the house to perhaps a Wiccan or demonologist?

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
First, I must say that it is NOT my intention to exploit anyone. I would never do that.

I am writing this chapter because there are people who have hauntings in their home and may not be aware that a Shaman/medicine man/woman can help them resolve or end the haunting. I want to explain what they do, why they do it and how they can help people who need their help.

I don't know about Wiccans or demonologists who can cleanse a home. I am interested in anyone with a special skill (such as clairvoyance) and training who can do this. I have heard that there are Shamans who are able to do this. If they do willingly try to help people with a haunting and they HAVE done so, then I would like to include one such person to share what they do in this chapter.

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You might check out websites for particular tribes and see if there are any forums where one might ask questions, but like comradebunny said, I'm not sure you'll get a response. Another source you might try is on profnet. . . request someone to interview with that type knowledge.

I think some burn sage - you might put something like "burning of sage" in your search engine & see what pops up.

comradebunny

"It *is* the rabbitt!"
Registered
Reaction score
Sage would definately be burned. It's burned at every Dakota/Lakota ceremony I've attended and I've been to a lot. My school make culture a large part of the curriculum.

I do remember that there was a cleansing of the school after a student commited suicide. They did it when the building was empty so I can't tell you much, but I do know that they had to burn sage throughout every corner of the school.

Kateri

Registered
Reaction score
Shaman who cleans houses

I have done some Shaman training and work as a Clairvoyant/Medium. It is true, sage is great. The Shaman I trained with is Lakota/Sioux and he uses tobacco grown organically at home as he says it is the supreme cleanser. I am happy to share any more information you need so will email you. Serendipitous surely and all the best!

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Kateri, THANK YOU SO MUCH for everything!! You have been extremely helpful and I'm glad I was able to get everything down accurately.

Thank you, comradebunny and Fern. Yes, I cover using sage in this chapter, for smudgings. Most interesting indeed! I just may try it myself sometime...if needed.

gophergrrrl

Been a while but I've returned...
Registered
Reaction score
My boyfriend is wiccan, well, he was but he's kind of moved away from it over the years. He's performed cleansing in houses where the residents believed there to be some activity. Two times that I know of, there were some very strange events followed. He just used sage water and some kind of wiccan speak stuff.

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. =o]

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for either a Shaman or Native American Medicine Man/Woman who cleans houses which are haunted.

Do you mean "cleanse", as in remove ghosts? Or "clean" as in remove dirt?

That is not a ritual practiced by any tribe whose rituals I am familiar with, and I know most of those along the Rocky Mountains. If you have ghosts, you either avoid the place like the Navajo or just ignore them.

The New Age "Shamans" around here practice Willie Nelson shamanism: If you've got the money, honey, I've got the time. I'm sure they would have a ritual for it, if they had to look it upo on the internet. :(

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Things are getting a little ripe around here and I hate vacuuming. Could you pass on my contact information if you find somebody?

My house isn't haunted, but sometimes the dog emits frightening smells.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm Zuni (New Mexico pueblo tribe) and we have medicine men who will sometimes do things like this. Not really for "haunted houses," but if there's reason to believe it might be bewitched by evil spirits, or something of the sort. For example, one of my relatives was very sick (I forget what it was) and wasn't responding to treatment, so a medicine man came to the house and cleansed it in case there were evil spirits preventing him from getting better. I wasn't there, so I'm not entirely sure what he did, but if I remember correctly, I believe it involved sprinkling ash around the house as part of the ritual.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
CLEANSE, not "cleans"

I am sorry for the typo. I was really under a lot of stress working on the manuscript and my brain was fried.

I DID mean "cleanse."

I managed to secure some interviews for this chapter, from a clairvoyant and Lakota shaman. I did include information about using ash. There were some interesting suggestions to rid a home of ghosts or end a haunting and I'm grateful I was able to get this information for my chapter.

MagicMan

Registered
Reaction score
You may find results under smudging, the use of a bowl or smudge pot to burn herbs.

Sage - dispels negative thoughts and feelings
Cedar - a purifyer and a blessing
Lavender - love, protection, peace and happiness
Sweetgrass - usually used in conjunction with Sage. This attracts positive
energy, good vibrations and balance
Bay leaf - used against colds and flu
Fennel - useful for repelling negative energies and calming nerves

Any combination of these herbs may be used depending on the type of spirit believed to be present.

If evil spirits are possible:

Angelica Root
Gives protection and can be used to banish negative spirits.

Basil leaf
Basil is strewn on floors, because it is believed that where it is, no evil can live, it is used in exorcism incenses, and purification baths
Powers :Love, Exorcism, Wealth, Protection

Different tribes have different beliefs. To be generic reference only the smudge pot, a bird feather with special herbs mixed for this event.

Smiles
Bob