PDA

View Full Version : The 'I'm scared of NeuroFizz's thread' thread

Ms Hollands
10-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Following on from this thread (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118356), post comments, congratulations, rants etc. here.

I'll start.

I just sat down and wrote a 1,000-word 'romance' fiction to give to a website in exchange for a link to my blog and hopefully some appreciative readers who might recognise my name in a bookshop one day. I *hate* short romances.

Have I just sold myself short? Or is it an 'achievement' that I should list on NeuroFizz's thread once it's published?

willfulone
10-11-2008, 08:39 PM
You meet the guidelines. Completed short story. That is one of his rules. Post it. You did it. You met his challenge. Post it.

Good luck!

Christine

Sean D. Schaffer
10-11-2008, 09:09 PM
I, for one, am glad he posted that thread. :) I need a challenge, as I pretty well never finish anything or submit it. This will give me the spark I need to actually complete my work AND submit it.

Neuro, thanks for the challenge. :Thumbs:

geardrops
10-11-2008, 09:11 PM
It's not "completed" it's "submitted"--for shorts. Otherwise I would have posted that I finished a short the other night.

I hate that this thread caught me during rewrites. I finished a draft in June (two and a half months, 60K) and am now rewriting it (going by my outline I am 15% complete, started rewrites last month--writing + moving + code-complete deadline at work = hard to write).

I love that damn thread and can't wait to see posts and post there myself. Do you think NeuroFizz has a date to prom?

willfulone
10-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Oh, let me clarify.

She states it is for submission to a site. I DID missread in that I believed she already did submit it.

Once she does, then my first reply applies.

It IS a good challenge.

I do not THINK he has a date yet. But, I cannot be sure. He keeps ignoring my PM invites to such. I can only surmise that is for he HAS a date. OR, just does not wish me to be his date....sigh.

Bubastes
10-11-2008, 10:40 PM
I think it's a great challenge. It will give me an extra kick in the butt.

I just finished the first draft of my "short" story today. Now I need to cut at least 3K words to get it ready for submission. I'm hoping to drop it in the mail in a week or two.

Ms Hollands
10-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Well, I've just submitted my short story, so I'll add my 'achievement' to the other thread. I'm unlikely to contribute to it again very soon as I'd like to get my novel finished now, and I still have a few chapters to go and then a lot of editing to do.

tehuti88
10-12-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm not submitting for publication, so I think that rather disqualifies me from the thread. :/ Also, there's the cutoff point of August for multiple works that have actually been finished, so since I've been kind of depressed and slacking on writing lately, another reason why I can't post there. I'm kind of puzzled as to why only works from August on qualify, but it's not my thread.

Like I said in my response to the original thread about working on multiple projects, some years back (2001-2005, I believe), I was working on two serials (one after another) while also working on numerous short stories and novellas, some of them tied in to the serials, some of them not. Both serials were completed (2001-2003, 2003-2005), and many of the shorter items were as well. I'm working on another serial right now which WILL be completed at some point. Not as many shorter items, but a few.

By "completed," since I'm not submitting, I mean the writing was finished and I polished them up and proofed them as best I could to post them online. ("Online self-publication," perhaps?)

And since I don't really qualify for anything else I guess that's all I can contribute. *shrug*

vixey
10-12-2008, 06:25 PM
I like his challenge and I want to post there in a bad way! He made a really good point.

I subbed a novel last June so I didn't make the August cut off. I'm waiting on a partial on that novel at this point. I have 3 projects going right now and nothing close to completion. Unless something happens with the partial soon, I don't expect to post in Neuro's thread until the end of November when I complete Nano.

Crossing my fingers for everyone!

NeuroFizz
10-12-2008, 06:48 PM
One of the reasons I chose August--I wanted to keep it current. That way it is a level field for new and more established writers. For example, it ruled out the novel I finished and I'm shopping, and I'm only half-way through my current WIP, so I won't get to post in my own thread for a few months.

The main motivation for me, though, was to get a reality check. When I look in the mirror, what I see is a borderline butthead. Am I one, or not? Right now it's a coin flip. The thread is your chance to provide the data necessary to tip the balance. (And you get an "I am a butthead" rep from me).

In reality, it was written with good intentions, although with a calculated bluntness. We all need to undergo a periodic look-in-the-mirror introspection. It should be honest and brutal (and motivating). Some people have a mirror that is either permanently fogged or warped by excuse and rationalization, and they will probably just be angry with my comments, and with the thread. But most of us can see value in an honest appraisal.

I won't back down on my thesis, however--self-discipline is one of the most important atttributes in this business. I've been harping on it for a couple of years right here in AW.

The best part--the responses we've seen in just one day has my reflection showing a little cleavage at the top of my forehead. Excellent work, AW writers. And get the lead out, all you not-quite-there writers. Finish something or be banished to poserville.

ChaosTitan
10-12-2008, 07:05 PM
I won't back down on my thesis, however--self-discipline is one of the most important atttributes in this business. I've been harping on it for a couple of years right here in AW.

And I agree with you one-hundred percent. Thank you for starting the thread and for being blunt about it. It's a good way for the regulars here to look into a mirror and make an honest evaluation (myself included).

Even with the awesome stuff I've accomplished this year, I still beat myself up for having not yet finished a manuscript. I wrote three novels last year. Here it is October, and I haven't completed one (although I hope to have a first draft done by November). It's been a year of editing, mostly, for me.

So yeah, thank you for the thread. I hope to post there in a month or so, but until then, "HUZZAH!" for everyone else striving to post there, too.

katiemac
10-13-2008, 12:18 AM
Even with the awesome stuff I've accomplished this year,

....like signing with an agent. And what was that other part? Ohhhh right, selling two books to Bantam Dell? :D Beat yourself up later and finish that other manuscript with a glass of champagne.

geardrops
10-13-2008, 09:06 AM
I noticed Neuro elegantly dodged my question about prom.

My uncle owns a limo company and he'll totally hook us up with wine coolers ;)

NeuroFizz
10-13-2008, 03:58 PM
I noticed Neuro elegantly dodged my question about prom.

My uncle owns a limo company and he'll totally hook us up with wine coolers
If you saw my dancing--groovin' overbite, robotic arms, cha-cha knees, and tin-man hips--you'd probably prefer to go with your father. Also, I'm from the Boone's farm wine cooler generation, but only if Ripple or Thunderbird wasn't available. (The pint bottle of ripple used to cost $0.33! Back in those days we had to buy double the needed amount--half for us and half for the wine-o who would go in and make the purchase for us.)

Oh, and I grew up in Vallejo.

Sean D. Schaffer
10-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Well, Neuro's thread did wonders for my short story. I've finished and submitted it to three separate publications now. I'm still in the process of submitting it to any other companies I can think of to go to, and I'm having loads of fun, knowing that I'm actually doing what I've been preaching about for the last three or four years. :)

I hope you're all having a good day, and that your writing endeavors will go well with you. :)

Bubastes
01-15-2009, 06:35 PM
OK, does anyone else have this problem? After I finish and submit a WIP, I feel content for, oh, half a day and then I'm itching to get to the next WIP so I could finish that one too. It's like I'm unable to rest on my laurels for any extended period of time (maybe I'm afraid they'll turn to compost).

Compulsive Goal Setting and Finishing Syndrome. I guess it's a good problem to have, right?

NeuroFizz
01-15-2009, 09:27 PM
OK, does anyone else have this problem? After I finish and submit a WIP, I feel content for, oh, half a day and then I'm itching to get to the next WIP so I could finish that one too. It's like I'm unable to rest on my laurels for any extended period of time (maybe I'm afraid they'll turn to compost).

Compulsive Goal Setting and Finishing Syndrome. I guess it's a good problem to have, right?
As long as it doesn't interfere with your personal happiness or that of your family and friends, it's a good trait used wisely. Otherwise, it's a good trait of questionable usage. Sometimes in this life, we forget to reach out for the things that make us, and our loved ones, happy. Celebrate the trait. Use it wisely.