The Neuro-is-a-butthead finish-it challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is AW's opportunity to prove I'm full of sh!t. Too many times, I read posts by people here about how they can (or have to) work on multiple projects, when a scan of their sig lines shows they've completed nothing. This thread is an in-my-face challenge of the "completing" ability of our fellow AWers. Here are the rules. Post here when you complete a long project (novels, screenplays, non-fiction projects of significant length, etc.). First drafts are okay. If it is a short story, a short non-fiction project, any flash-type writing, poem, essay, or anything of short length, post here when you submit it somewhere. This will be a testament to the self-discipline of AWers.

Please don't post here to congratulate or comment on the success of others. Use rep points for that because a completed project is certainly worthy of that recongition.

Show me that AW is full of self-discipined writers, not a bunch of posers. Show me to be the bastard I am for assuming that we have too many of the latter.

For those who have completed something in the recent past, post it, but let's not go back too much farther than, say, August.

If you think I'm being a jerk here, use that energy. For all others, let's celebrate your successes.

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
To prevent this from falling any farther down the page, here's a bump.

I fairly recently completed an nth novel draft.

But I hope someone will come along with something more impressive...

ShyViolet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shyviolet.net
I'm new to writing fiction - I started last year during Nano. Since November 2007:

Novel 1: first draft Dec. 07, first edit Feb. 08, second edit/major revision Aug. 08, waiting on second round of feedback from betas - I've also sent a few queries but am not seriously pursuing this yet.

Novel 2: first draft Feb. 08, first edit May 08, second edit Sept. 08, waiting on first round of feedback from betas

Street Fox (short story): drafted and edited Sept. 08, submitted 1x Oct. 08

Heroes (short story): drafted, edited, and submitted 1x Oct. 08

Street Fox spawned a potential novel, so that's what I'm working on now.

ETA: Also.... I'm probably not who this is aimed at, because I have nothing in my signature. I assumed I wouldn't put anything in my sig. until it was published. Is that weird? Also.... apparently I don't read directions well. I mentioned my novels because I completed major milestones in this timeperiod, but I guess I didn't complete the first draft since August. Sorry. :(

Last edited:

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
Since I'm anonymous here and don't have any works listed in my sig, and since I'm a working writer who makes my living at this, I assume I don't fit into Neuro's challenge.

But, for what it's worth, I complete 1-3 novels every year, depending on deadlines and what projects I have under contract.

Have for a good many years.

:Shrug:

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
I just submitted a short story but it really doesn't feel like an achievement: it was a very short story and I managed to write and edit it within a couple of hours. Let's see if it gets published.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
I finished and submitted my longest short story so far (5,600 words) a couple weeks ago. It was a nice change after writing so much flash fiction this year.

Yay!

Nicole

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
*checks Duotrope numbers*

2 shorts submitted this week.

3 shorts total submitted for this month, to date.

28 shorts submitted in last 12 months. This does, of course, include resubmissions. :)

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Since October began, I've submitted three short stories and one flash. I finished the first draft of a novel in late August. Working on lots of stuff at once works for me.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Since August, you say?

Variety of subs of short stories, humorous essays, writing and submission of blog posts (to support writing career <not stream of consciousness>, so crafted) on various websites. Several acceptances, including a paying market on my first actually sold horror short.

Started latest WIP in mid-July, while I was finishing up edits on the WIP prior, but as of right now, I'm at 108,425 words and it should finish this weekend. Then I roll right into the next WIP, while the current goes into beta. (Agent is axiously waiting for both, and the next 2 in the line, so there is no rest period. Not that I'd take it anyway. :D)

I've also spent a lot of time on my website (for the pen name that's sold) and related activities, and I went to a writing conference with my agent. Do those count to? (ETA: Oh yeah, I also had outpatient surgery. Still wrote.)

Last edited:

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Show me that AW is full of self-discipined writers, not a bunch of posers. Show me to be the bastard I am for assuming that we have too many of the latter.
If I was the huffy type, I'd get huffy:D Poser indeed! Okay, so my last book was published 3 years ago and I'm nowhere near finished my current wip but I take a lo-o-o-ng time to write a first draft. Painfully long. Just sayin'.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
August 1 - publication date of my historical novel.

During August finished and submitted lengthy short story for contest with Aug. 31 deadline.

Sept. 12 submitted short story for contest with Sept 30 deadline.

Sept. 22 sent a contemporary novel off for a contest.

Sept. 26 began rewrite of my scientifically accurate sci-fi/thriller novel. (I wouldn't let myself start on the re-write until I had something going on with the contemporary novel.)

That enough? Puma

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm one of NeuroFizz's multi-simultanious-project people. So I'll chime in.

Since August, as the rules state, I've completed and submitted 4 short stories and signed one contract. I've also finished an edit of one novel.

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
Submitted two pieces (one poem and one short) and both are being published in an anthology that will probably never make it outside our local area. I expect printed copies next week.

Also have three or four WIPs in various edit stages.

Does this all count?

Mason

Cool Smoke
Registered
Reaction score
Website
addisblogs.blogspot.com
I started to write seriously around the same time I joined this forum, back in May.

I've submitted one short story two weeks ago and have another three that are ready to submit... yeah, I procrastinate a little.

These were all completed after August.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Since August?

Two shorts finished.

One novel re-edited and submitted, "partialled", and a full out (by request, from the partial) a few weeks ago.

Two long works in progress.

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com
What? Who knew we were supposed to put our finished stuff in the signature? I need to investigate that.

I finished and submitted a short story in September and it was published a couple a days ago- Oct 5, I think.

So far this year, 2 other stories have been published and one more has been accepted for publication later this year. I'd say 4 published in a year is good, but they were only publications, no money involved, does that count?

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Nice thread, Neuro. :)

I'm one of them there multi-WIP people. I finished a novel (number 11 completed, woot!) in late August, then I finished my agent's edits some time in September. It's still on submission. Maybe this one'll actually sell (ha ha).

Guess I'll revisit this thread when I finish another one, whichever that may be...

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Nice thread, Neuro. :)

It is, isn't it?

It's about finishing what we start, and then doing something with it--submitting or shopping.

If we're serious about what we're doing here, I don't know any other way to prove it.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
A short story on sub, no acceptances yet.

A middle-grade novel, with multiple rewrites and redrafts. Still not finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.