Not open for further replies.

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Oops? Where do the days go? Starting the May thread a day late, but here we go!

Everyone welcome--newbies, folks currently trying to change their lifestyle in a healthy way. Some folks want to lose weight, some want to gain. Some quit smoking, some exercise more. Some have medical reasons for changing their diet, some would like to get into a smaller clothing size.

A lot of good things have happened here in the past few months since I started this thread. One of our gang ditched a wheelchair, and started exercising and eating healthier, losing many inches and pounds. Another has quit smoking. ChunkyC, the AW administrator has lost many pounds. We won't be able to call him Chunky for much longer! And there are many other successes, big and small.

My goal is that I really wanted to get healthier by losing weight and increasing my fitness level. I really really really wanted to be able to fit into a pair of jeans that I haven't been able to wear for a long time by May 14, when I'm leaving on a big trip out of the country. And today I am sitting here wearing them! They are pretty snug, mind you, but if I just lose a couple of pounds more, they'll be comfortable enough to wear on my trip.

I have a fair amount of weight to lose, and haven't lost that many pounds (probably less than ten), but I've decided to not weigh myself for a month or so, so while I don't know exactly what I weigh, I have a very good idea. For me, weighing-in too often isn't useful, because no matter how great the loss is from the last time I weighed myself, it's NEVER enough. So I've decided to do it less. For some people, though, weighing in weekly is a good motivator.

From exercising, I've lost inches and increased my muscle mass a bit. And I haven't given up red wine or chocolate, although I do have bit less. I bike at least once per week. I try to work out at least 3 times per week, and have help from a trainer to keep me motivated and my routine varied. I even started doing the Stairmaster. Whodathunkit?

I have to admit, I give up A LOT. But, I figure, if I start again, every day, I'll get there eventually. I'm a tortoise, not a hare. But a tortoise that can probably leg press a Cooper Mini. :)

I'm really proud to be a part of this, and am really happy that so many people are getting and giving health support here at AW.

So, what do you want to work on this month?

Nivvie

Rejections, She Wrote.
Registered
Reaction score
This belly is still not fit for human consumption, and it's nearly summer.

Good thing I don't live near a beach.

I've put my name down for a 5k run (hahaha), and humiliation being the powerful tool it is, it's making me get out there and train.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all you health nuts!

I have been stuck on 218 for a while now, 2 pounds short of my goal for April. I wanted to hit 216. Oh well, it's the first time I fell short since I started, so that's pretty good in the grand scheme of things.

To reach my goal of being 170lbs by my birthday in October, I would have to lose 9.6lbs per month from here on out. Most docs will tell you that you really shouldn't lose more than 8 pounds per month, so that's what I'm going to shoot for from now on. It means I will probably still have a bit to lose by my birthday, but what the heck. So what if it takes until Halloween or Thanksgiving, so long as I get there?

So, with the revised math, here's the weight I want to reach by the end of May:

210lbs.

When I get to this weight, I will have lost 40lbs, and be halfway to my goal.

Good luck this month, everyone!

Last edited:

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah! The healthy thread is back. Stopped by yesterday after I got home and it wasn't here, darn. I was afeerd it was gone forever. Thank you for bringing it back. Was wondering where I'd find support.

Congrats on fitting into the jeans, very kewl.

Chuck, I like your attitude, your new math ain't bad either. You still gonna have a slimming good time on your birthday cause you'll be so close to your ideal weight.

As for me, I'm still on the slimming path. Although, I'm going down even slower than Chuck. To date I've shed 14-15 pounds, in 4 months. That's about 4lbs. a month. I'm hoping to up that just a little, like maybe 5lbs a month? I can get into one of the dresses I want to wear at the end of the month, more slimming won't hurt though. The other one, actually, it's a skirt and jacket, is still a couple of inches away. May not get into it by the deadline, but I'm gonna give it a good shot. I like weighing (well, not "like" exactly) once a week. Monday mornings is the time I've chosen for whatever reason. I also measure. Sometimes the scale doesn't stop at a lower number, but the tape measure does. And at least I can feel good about dropping a fraction of an inch or so.

How about those of you trying to gain weight - any success yet?

Good health to ya'll.
Nita

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
My goals for May are:
  1. Start walking every day - 2 miles to start with, but I would like to be up to 3 miles for the same amount of time or the same 2 miles in a shorter time frame by the end of the month. Also, to begin to add some flexibility exercises. I want to be able to do the splits again.
  2. Quit smoking - I quit last week and the stress from finals and the lack of sleep ruined me. I picked up cigarettes again this weekend. Once finals are over (Wed.) I hope to move towards quitting again.
  3. Incorporate more fruits and vegetables into my diet - Since I am starting 2 other major things, I don't want to overdo it. I figure I can still eat whatever I want, but by eating more fruits and vegetables, there will be less room for junk food.
Current Weight - Yeah, right! I'm not telling!! :tongue
Current Amount of Weight over Ideal Weight - 70 lbs.
Main Goal - Not so much to lose the weight as to get in shape.

Good Luck to Everyone Else! :Trophy:

P.S. CC, you have probably hit the plateau phase of weight loss, since you said you were getting to close to the half of the goal. Google it and there is plenty of good advice out there

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I'm just basically checking in here, saying that I will get back on track this month. I need to get on the blasted scale so I'll know exactly where I'm at, but I don't want to. lol.

I'll do it sometime this week and plan to be on the South Beach diet again by Monday.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
My goal this month is to start a routine of exercising everyday. So for a month, I want to get into the habit of exercising one hour a day, five days a week.

scribbler

Helpful web site

With me, it's the blood pressure thing. Less weight, less medication. Plus, I was also upset at not being able to button my slacks. Either lose weight or buy new clothes, the latter not an option. Seemed like a no-brainer, but how to get motivated? Then I stumbled upon a web site (www.fitday.com) where I could see my eating and exercise habits in black and white, and also keep track of them. See what you think. It's helped me already. There's another similar one recently created by the government (Dept of Agriculture, I think) and based on the newly designed food pyramid. It's good, but I like the ease of handling for fitday.com better.

Last edited:

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, my best friend's sister finally convinced me to join aerobics. The classes are from 6.30 to 7.30 in the morning, which also means I'll have the additional benefit of setting straight my routine (no more staying awake till 6 am!) :thankyou:

I went for my first class today, and it was a whole lotta fun. The downside is that I don't think I'm going to be able to get out of bed for a week. :Wha:

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
KitKat said:
I went for my first class today, and it was a whole lotta fun. The downside is that I don't think I'm going to be able to get out of bed for a week. :Wha:

I remember that feeling all too well. Though I did enjoy aerobics too. I'm so uncoordinated, though, that I always tried to stay back far enough that not everyone would see me but still close enough that I could see well enough to know what to do. Somehow, I always ended up on the first or second row anyway.

LisaHa

Registered
Reaction score
Can I join?

This might be the extra motivation I need.

I am overweight (by at least 70lbs) and have PCOS. Most diets have failed in the past. Even when the doctor put me on a special drug and I slogged my guts out on WW, I still only lost 14lbs (in a YEAR!!!!!). After that, I just decided I would be happy as a big girl.

But, I know I'm not very healthy due to the excess weight, even though I eat plenty of fruit and veg and try to fit exercise into my 13 hour working days! I am high risk for developing diabetes and heart disease.

So, I have been doing a lot of research into what diets should help sufferers of PCOS and the general consensus from the US and Australia (UK is miles behind on this) is that a low carb diet is the way to go (all to do with insulin levels etc). This is not saying Atkins is the only answer - most low carb diets encourage the right fruit and veg. I have found a book by an Australian doctor which makes a lot of sense but I am finding it hard to re-educate myself and my tastebuds. and to find ways to fit it around my hectic lifestyle.

So, after that long introduction, my aim for May is to MAKE it fit my lifestyle even when I am away from home and eating out (as I will be quite a bit this month), exercise more regularly, and lose at least 5lbs by the end of the month.

Lisa x

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya, Lisa! Welcome and good luck with your goals.

I'm still stuck at 218. I bounce around a bit, 219 later in the day and even 220 again once. But every morning for over a week now, it's been

AAAAAAAAH!

Is this the part where I go bananas? Ooo, bananas ...
emoticonbanana.gif
no, Chunky! Not the whole bunch!

Okay okay, I'll be good. Sheesh. TJW, I'll definitely take a google around and see what I can see about this 'plateau phase.' It seems like my body is telling me it wants to stay at this weight, but there's no way. I still have a bit of man-boob to get rid of, and the waistline is still much further out than my chest when I look at myself side-on in the mirror. I won't be happy until the pecs don't look like they're ready to lactate and I don't have to suck in the gut anymore.

Onward!

Last edited:

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I've watched this thread for a couple months now, and it's finally time.

I was on live TV Tuesday night, and when it was over and I got home and asked my husband how it went, the brave man told me how bad I looked. He said I didn't look like his wife at all, that I looked at least 30 pounds heavier because I was leaning forward.

The fact that I'm refusing to view the tape is proof enough that I need to do something. I mean, I know I'm not skinny, and last year's clothes are too snug, but sheesh. Enough is enough.

I've exercised sporadically in the past, but today a coworker and I decided to do laps at the track four times a week. We walked two miles today. It's a start. And I dumped all the yummy stuff in the fridge and replaced it with good stuff (wait 'til my husband gets home, LOL!).

So here I am, and hopefully I'll have good progress to report soon!

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Great going everyone. CC, hand over a banana please. I just love 'em. :banana:

I was quite skinny as a teen, so I'd load up on bananas quite a bit. Now I can't live without them. :)

Went for my aerobics class again today. Still learning the moves. But it was fun. My muscles are still screaming though. I haven't exercised in a loooong time, and the whole body workout is putting a lot of stress on thm. My body's just not used to doing any kind of work. :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
CC, you're plateauing. You need to change your routines again.

Kira, your husband is brave! But he also deserves a cookie for being honest and supportive. Sometimes we all need that someone to tell us what we don't want to hear.

I just saw a film I was doing a bit ago and it's true that the camera adds at least 10 pounds on you. Suffice it to say I wasn't too pleased with how I looked. The problem is, when I gain weight, it goes directly to my face first. So I end up with this ginormous head that makes me look 15lbs heavier than I actually am.

Weight alone is not my problem. It's fat. If I'm leaner, my face would naturally slim down because muscles don't bulge up one's face. But fat does -- and we end up with double chins and flabby jaws and the cheekbones disappear.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
Maestro, he can have all the cookies, LOL! I'm glad he told me. You know how people have the body image disorder whatever where they think they look worse than they do? I'm the opposite, lol, I think, aww..it's fine :)

All cameras have been deemed evil until last year's clothes fit!

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the thread, Kira!

This morning's weigh-in:

7.gif

216lbs.

YEEEE-HA! Funny thing is, I feel like I've cheated a couple of times this past week by eating one of my wife's home made raisin tarts for a snack instead of crackers or carrot sticks, etc. But hey, since they're home made, all the stuff in 'em is good stuff. No preservatives, no food dyes, no artificial sweetners ... just YUMMY!!!

Keep on keepin' on, y'all!

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on the Ping-Pong diet. This morning's weigh-in:

4.gif

217lbs.

I have charted my progress, and when I look at the graph generated by the data, I have slowed, but not stopped. I shall continue even if it takes until Christmas! What counts is that I get there.

I inherited a cheapo digital camera and in the next few days will upload a pic or two of my daily walk route for inspiration ... mostly for me. Once you see where I go on my walks, you guys will kick my butt every time I don't get out there.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
ChunkyC said:
I'm on the Ping-Pong diet. This morning's weigh-in:

4.gif

217lbs.

I have charted my progress, and when I look at the graph generated by the data, I have slowed, but not stopped. I shall continue even if it takes until Christmas! What counts is that I get there.

I inherited a cheapo digital camera and in the next few days will upload a pic or two of my daily walk route for inspiration ... mostly for me. Once you see where I go on my walks, you guys will kick my butt every time I don't get out there.

Chuck, I couldn't tell you the last time I got on a scale. OK, yeah, I could. Mid-April. You're way ahead of the game from my standpoint.

I know I said a while back that I would re-evaluate where I am and then start the South Beach diet again. But I haven't. I'm tired of the process, ya know? I'm not normally impatient -- er... depending on who you ask -- but this is one area where I really am. Since it's so nice out now, I really meed to badger mom more about getting to the track.

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Gang,

I'm leaving on my trip this am a little slimmer, a lot healthier, and will be hanging out in Peru!

Chunk, if I don't get to it in time, will ya start the June thread?

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
ChunkyC said:

Oooh CC, that sounds wonderful. Can't wait to see the pics. As soon as I did one out, I'll post one of mine too so you guys can see where I get my daily exercise walking to my mom's.

Congrats! to everyone for sticking to your plans.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finally gained back most of what I lost during the "black hole days." 240 and holding steady.

Status
Not open for further replies.