Crying hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristiina

In the land of frost, volcanoes, and well-armed wo
Registered
Reaction score
What would you think of a story where the hero has crying fits and temper tantrums? In the few stories I have written so far I have gone for the traditional hero type with the modern western hero qualities - he acts tough, doesn't show his feelings much and so forth - but I'd like to try something with a Kalevala type of hero. And they do act pretty immature, by modern standards anyway, a lot of the time. There are long descriptions of grown men bawling their eyes out, and having emotional outbursts when things don't go their way.

Ok, don't go for the standard 'as long as he is well written' -answer, please. Let's assume he was well written - do you think you'd be able to see a main character who acts like that as heroic?

If I use that type, it will be in a fantasy setting which will be also otherwise Kalevala influenced. I presume that would make it palatable for those who are familiar with Kalevala. What I'd like to know how it would seem like to those people who have no idea what Kalevala is.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Well real men do cry and have bursts of temper when they are thwarted. So why not in books too?

As long as the reader has sympathy for him, it won't be a problem. Men cry in my book ( ok not at the drop of a hat or something, but you know, they actually *gasp* have emotional reactions to things), and they get bloody angry when they don't get their own way. Write them as real people and you shouldn't have a problem.

None is so good he lacks all fault, none so wretched he lacks all virtue. ...:)

Last edited:

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
I'd say its cultural. In certain cultures/time periods, men are expected to be emotional. Thats one thing that frequently throws modern readers of ancient books-The cultural norms make the characters seem strange.

For example, the Iliad was basically all about a huge temper tantrum, with fits of crying thrown in for good measure.

Another of my favorites, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, has a truly epic number of crying fits, to the point where a king finds it useful to fake on in order to hoodwink a foreign ambassador. In this day and age a head of state weeping in front of foreign dignitaries would be a major embarassment. On par with George Bush Sr's vomiting incident.

I think Gilgamesh has them too, though his tantrum was considered excessive even by 4000 year old standards.

The Mahabharata too. The greatest warrior ever to live didn't feel ashamed to cry before a battle.

Yup, I think accross the board, ancient literature has lots of crying in it.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No idea what Kalevala is, but I can tell you that the only way I can deal with those heroes with anything resembling decent grace is if the book was published in the 1800's, and sometimes not even then. Guys sobbing their eyes out is just too hiliariously pathetic for me to take seriously as a hero in a modern novel.

There's probably people out there that will give them a chance, but I'm not one of them. Sorry.

mrockwell

Just another genre hack
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsheilarockwell.com
Can't say as I'm a big fan of temper tantrums/weepfests from either heroes or heroines. Usually it just makes me want to slap them upside the head.

Certain things warrant it -- death of a loved one, your house and everything you own burning to the ground, etc. -- but even then, a little goes a long way.

-- Marcy

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
The thing about a temper tantrum is it is very self indulgent, I don't really see it as ever being representing something admirable. Now there is breaking down in tears because life has become unbearable, there is throwing something against a wall in a fit of spontaneous rage. But throwing a hissy fit, crying, wailing, banging your fists on the floor, it's something a petulant child does and something most adults would be deeply ashamed of admitting to doing.

If the point is to show a flawed character that's one thing, but not if the character is heroic.

Now this may be an issue of semantics. You may simply be asking, "Is it okay to have a hero cry in a book". If that is the question, definitely. But it truly has to come from a place of last resort, exhaustion, excessive emotion, dealing with great tragedy. Otherwise what you've got is a very flawed hero. Interesting, but I'm not sure if that's what you are going for.

Kristiina

Registered
Reaction score
The thing about a temper tantrum is it is very self indulgent, I don't really see it as ever being representing something admirable. Now there is breaking down in tears because life has become unbearable, there is throwing something against a wall in a fit of spontaneous rage. But throwing a hissy fit, crying, wailing, banging your fists on the floor, it's something a petulant child does and something most adults would be deeply ashamed of admitting to doing.

If the point is to show a flawed character that's one thing, but not if the character is heroic.

Now this may be an issue of semantics. You may simply be asking, "Is it okay to have a hero cry in a book". If that is the question, definitely. But it truly has to come from a place of last resort, exhaustion, excessive emotion, dealing with great tragedy. Otherwise what you've got is a very flawed hero. Interesting, but I'm not sure if that's what you are going for.

Mostly I guess I would like to see if I can make somebody who lives in a society with different ideas of what is ok for a hero to do palatable. The Kalevala heroes do sometimes have their temper tantrums for less than noble reasons, often the end result is something disastrous, then we get them crying over what they caused. But they are still treated as heroes by the poems. They are flawed, but that is seen as, well, normal. What makes them heroes is that they are larger than life in what they do. Well, in the old times people did use to have a different definition for a 'hero' than we do now.

Frankly I don't like them very much. I'm just intrigued by the question whether it would be possible to make somebody like that at all likeable, or at least sort of understandable.

Probably beyond my current skill level, but it might make for an interesting test.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
maybe I should qualify my remarks

hero losing his rag because best mate is going to hang tommorow and no one wants to help rescue him - fine

hero losing rag because he lost his hanky - In my mind I'll slap him

From what I remember of the Kaleval ( its been a while) they were passionate. I don;t remember crying over nothing.

Oddsocks

Registered
Reaction score
I say go for it. I have never heard of kalevala, and I have no idea what it is, but I love main characters that aren't your typical, what-you'd-expect main characters, and a propensity for temper tantrums is an interesting flaw. I'd be intrigued by the character's psychology, and would want to know about how they reacted to other things - perhaps more significant things, as a fantasy plot progressed and inevitably became more serious.

I would recommend being careful, though - if in the first few chapters the hero had a temper tantrum over something really minor (like, not getting his favourite dinner or something), I might be wary of continuing. I don't want to read a constant stream of an MC feeling sorry for himself, and if he feels that sorry for himself over something like that, things are only going to get worse. So, moderation, I guess. But in principle, I think the idea is great, and I'd be very interested in seeing it done.

Phoebe H

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ph-unbalanced.livejournal.com
My advice would be to clearly set up what the cultural norms are before you have your hero do something that would go against your readers' cultural norms. (Best way to do that is probably to have a minor character or two act that way first, and demonstrate how that culture views those actions.) That way the reader will have something tangible they can hold onto against a potential bad reaction.

Last edited:

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It would turn me off.

Although, in a young character, I could accept some crying or even a tantrum...but,it would be very hard to sympathize with what is essentially a spoiled brat.

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
Heroes and tantrums. Three words: Howl's Moving Castle.

I agree, that makes sense because of the context of his character and his vanity. (Disclaimer: I watched the anime and haven't read the book) If you are going to have a male character, especially the lead, shoot his bolt like that it should to feed back into his character and fit somehow into the plot. Howl's vanity threatens to overtake him and the tantrums highlight just how childish he can be.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a matter of balance. Make sure that your character has some kind of reason for what he does and that the reader knows that. Secondly, his heroic actions must be so large as to outweigh his non heroic ones. So think: What is it that makes him heroic? I'm thinking of Sidney Carton from A Tale of Two Cities. He's a drunk who has never lived up to his own potential in life and throughout most of the story nobody would describe him as heroic. Then he's the one who gives his life so that another can live. He comes out as more heroic than anyone else because his heroic actions are so large they outweigh his non heroic attributes. That's how you get a non traditional hero to be accepted. However big their flaws are, their heroic attributes must be bigger.

Idahobo

The Eskiminja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thegeekbeat.blogspot.com
I agree it depends on the reason for the outburst and the culture your character was raised in. The other thing is if you have your hero totally blow a gasket and bawl like a two year old who lost his ice cream, it should have an effect on how the character thinks of himself and how other view him. If after words he's like "Wow, ok, I needed that, but I need to buck up and kill this dragon or whatever" then I'd be fine with it. If you just glazed on like it was expected, it would be so out of the norm that it would probably take me out of the story.

OremLK

Registered
Reaction score
You have to be very, very careful with this kind of thing. Donald Maass says one of the things that generates the most sympathy for a character is strength; this could come in a number of different forms, but crying and especially having a temper tantrum would not usually be considered "strong" behavior.

Of course, not every protagonist has to be a stalwart hero, and you can do whatever you want. Just be prepared to deal with the consequence--and this is that you will have to build up sympathy for the character that much more to make up for this flaw.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with most of the above.

If the MC is a spoiled brat, I'm going to have a lot of difficulty reading on.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
Without reading the replies or updates:

Well, I'd find their behavior kind of histrionic or juvenile, but as long as they're actually getting heroic stuff done, I'd tolerate it. I'm not a hero by any means but I know I often have to whine or throw a fit before I can get something done properly. So I can empathize, at least.

I have no clue what the Kalevala is, sorry; I think it's some kind of epic of a culture I'm ignorant about. :eek: But I write a lot of fantasy utilizing American Indian trickster/culture heroes and they don't fit the typical "hero" model themselves. The Ojibwa hero, Manabozho, was very contradictory and his less-heroic qualities include greed, cowardice, selfishness, and an inability to think ahead. He quite often looked like a total moron. In my own stories, he doesn't tend to throw crying fits, but he does have a lousy temper and is a poor loser, is easily offended, kind of cowardly, lacks diplomacy skills, and while not exactly "whiny," he does throw lots of childish tantrums with yelling and stomping and stuff.

Not typical hero material, but I love him to bits. :D And he does get some heroic stuff done. That's the main point. If they can do their regular hero-ly stuff, then they're welcome to their childish fits and bawling. Makes them interesting.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
What would you think of a story where the hero has crying fits and temper tantrums?
You're asking the reader to shift from familiar culture to unfamiliar, and that means you'll need to write with extra empathy, create a character who's sympathetic for other reasons, and help bring the reader to a place where this seems ordinary and understandable.

I suspect that you can do this by:
  • Showing that the hero is brave, determined and compassionate
  • Letting the reactions around the hero moderate the reader's reactions (i.e. characters respect the hero and don't get too flustered by the outbursts)
  • Providing at least one critical voice in the story that mocks the hero for his tantrums -- and showing that voice is mistaken
  • Show that the crying fits and tantrums don't actually slow the hero down much -- and are maybe even empowering

A story like this is likely to throw up ironies for the reader every so often -- you might want to use them for humour as long as they don't break mood.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
for me, it would depend on what caused it.

if he throws a tantrum because his cookies are under cooked, turn off (unless he is insane)

throws a tantrum because he was hit in the head with a rock, understandable

throws an epic tantrum because random person number 6 got hit in the head with a rock, heroic.

cries because he burnt the cookies, mental slap.

cries because his world just flew apart, understandable.

cries because he just did something strongly against his standards, awesome.

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cries over unrequited love...burn the book (Eragon and sequel)

Cries for any reason that is not compelling = whiner

Throws a tantrum = spoiled brat

Has mental or uncontrollable fit/ psychotic breakdown = interesting

I agree about "strength" in many uses. Even a ten year old can be strong.

Kristiina

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all. Food for thought.

When it comes to those old time epic poems heroes (which Kalevala is, for those of you too lazy to google :)) my theory has always been that a lot of their behavior can be explained by the fact that they were probably more or less drunk most of the time. Have you ever seen records of what amounts of beer were part of servants' wages in the middle ages? The general idea seems to be that in Europe at least, until fairly recent times, most of the stuff people drank was more or less alcoholic. So it was beer with breakfast, beer with midday meal, lots of beer or wine or stronger beer in the evening... and even if the beer in question wasn't particularly strong, if it was all our hero had he'd probably start to be more than a bit tipsy towards the evening.

So: mentions of the hero, and everybody around him, drinking beer or wine with every meal. Then in the evening hero and a friend enter an inn, he makes a suggestion to the innkeepers daughter and she turns him down, he broods into his beer for a moment, then sees or imagines seeing some of the other patrons making a joke about the incident, beats the offending party and his pals up, trashes the place and stalks out with friend, then perhaps whines a bit about the incident.

Or a big party in the hall of some lord. A bard recites a poem about the lord's, or his ancestor's, heroic deeds. Several men cry into their beers because they find the poem so touching.

I think I might go with something like that.

OremLK

Registered
Reaction score
Well if he's drunk that's another issue entirely. Again, just don't take it too far and recognize that being a drunken lout means you need to make him more sympathetic in other ways to make up for his behavior.

Kristiina

Registered
Reaction score
Well if he's drunk that's another issue entirely. Again, just don't take it too far and recognize that being a drunken lout means you need to make him more sympathetic in other ways to make up for his behavior.

Well, I don't think I will make a point of him being drunk, just make enough references to drinking that it will be clear, at least if you think about it, that alcohol may have something to do with how he behaves. Also make a point that that kind of behavior (crying in public, having outbursts) is considered pretty normal by most people in his society, and judged good or bad depending on what triggered it and what the end results are. Crying over that touching poem about your lord - admirable. Crying because somebody called your dad an oaf - cowardly. Beating the guy who called your dad an oaf - admirable (especially if you win). Yelling at a servant who dropped your beer - understandable if not exactly admirable. Beating that servant up for it - maybe not so good... Nearly hitting that servant but restraining yourself at the last moment - wow, he has such self control :).

Status
Not open for further replies.