Love And Revolution:A Memoir Or Something

muse64

Registered
Reaction score
So that's the working title for my memoir. Or rather, that is the working title for my intended memoir. Since I just started writing it a few days ago it is just an idea at this point. And that is just fine for now. No rush.

I thought, however, that I do need help. Yes. I told all my friends that I am going to write a big deal of a book....I told some friends "I want to write a missle"...which is also pretty much the case.

But now I find myself tired, pissed off, worried. Why? Because this project of mine has gone from a great idea to an actual work every day got to get my ass in gear deal.

Somehow the idea of writing a book was way more exciting then the reality.

There must be some Platonic issue involved in that...but regardless....I need to reach out....not be isolated...at least not be totally 100% isolated...and so I am turning to this forum.

ok....gona send this post out...and then write another one with more detail about what my book is going to be about.

If folks have suggestions for a better place in this forum to put this thread please let me know...but it is going to be a book about my life and so I figured this was the appropriate venue.

tata

muse64

Registered
Reaction score
Love And Revolution: How Do I Write About My Life?

1. To write about my life I need to be able to stop long enough and look back at my past.

I have to not just look back but also make order. I need to organize my past into a logical structure...a structure that gives meaning to a whole range of experiences.

2. So far the way I am doing this is to just write. I am assuming that once I get a certain quantity of pages written...that at that point I can look at what I have and build some structure from that.

This is how I worked in college and I actually totally loved it. There was something quite exciting about letting the outline of a paper emerge in a rather loose flow.

The problem, of course, was time...that is....how much time it takes to just build an outline from a huge amount of un-edited material.

There is also something to be said for developing some type of an outline first. This will help the writer, me in this case, stay rather focused instead of writing pages and pages about things that will never be used.

Do folks have any thoughts about this?

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
It's a journey with beginning, middle and end

Think about any long journey (for example the Israeli's taking 40 years to cross the desert.) There's the beginning, full of excitement and promise, there's the end, equally exciting and then there's that pesky long middle.

It takes a certain change of perspective to adjust to the long middle, but go into any book store or library and look at the long shelves filled with books. Every single author went through something like this. Take heart!!

Adjust your sights to the journey of writing a memoir, and keep putting one foot in front of another until you reach the promised land. :)

Jerry

Ritergal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
heartandcraft.blogspot.com
A writing group, real-time or virtual, can be a big help in keeping your feet to the fire. Keep posting your progress, kvetch, or whatever will help. Most of the people in the real-time writing groups I'm involved with claim that they'd never write if they weren't embarrassed to show up without something to read. Accountability helps!