PDA

View Full Version : It's gonna be a girl. Today I feel like a father.

underthecity
10-10-2008, 05:16 PM
I went with my wife today for the ultrasound where the nurse looked at the growing baby to determine if it was okay and its sex.

It's a girl. My son is going to be my daughter.

She's nineteen weeks along and totally healthy, no problems. She was very active, moving around and kicking, and even had the hiccups! I watched and heard the heart beat. She's four inches long and weighs eleven ounces.

And her name is Elena, chosen by my wife.

She's due March 1.

So now we have to get the nursery ready. I'm going to be pretty busy in the next few months doing that, plus all the other stuff I'm doing like working on the Park Lane, finishing my novel, and I'm thinking about writing a fourth book for Arcadia, possibly my Swan Song for the publisher with the potential to be one of the best books I could do.

Anyway, that's the news!

allen

Little Red Barn
10-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Congrats! All great news!

regdog
10-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a girl

:hooray::hooray:

C.bronco
10-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Congratulations! :D

III
10-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Congratulations Allen! Daddy's Girls are the best thing in the world.

Yeshanu
10-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Congrats, Allen.

melaniehoo
10-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Congratulations! That's so wonderful. :)

quickWit
10-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Congratulations Allen!

NeuroFizz
10-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Miracles come in XX (as they do in XY). Congrats, Allen.

Mel
10-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Congratulations to you and your wife!

maestrowork
10-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Congrats, Allen. I know you'll be a great father. And girls are best.

Calla Lily
10-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Congratulations!

Maryn
10-10-2008, 06:47 PM
There are few things I find as moving in their elemental goodness as a father adoring his infant. Soon, huh?

Maryn, with lovely memories of Mr. Maryn, Kid One, and Kid Two

Sarita
10-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Congratulations, Allen :) You're going to have so much fun!

Jersey Chick
10-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Congratulations! It's good to hear something good for a change! :D

RLB
10-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Congratulations!

Best of luck with everything going on!

mscelina
10-10-2008, 08:03 PM
That's wonderful! Enjoy this time, underthecity--it's precious.

stormie
10-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Oh, Allen, that's such great news! I love the name Elena. Beautiful! And to be able to see her through the ultrasound, and hear her tiny heartbeat. Amazingly wonderful. Congratulations!

Susie
10-10-2008, 09:13 PM
That's wonderful Allen and congrats.

Kitrianna
10-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Congrats hon!

AnnieColleen
10-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Congrats! Love the name. :D

Pagey's_Girl
10-10-2008, 10:38 PM
COngratulations! And one of the nicest people I ever knew was a girl named Elena. Lovely name :)

Phoebe H
10-10-2008, 10:51 PM
I went with my wife today for the ultrasound where the nurse looked at the growing baby to determine if it was okay and its sex.

It's a girl. My son is going to be my daughter.

Congratulations!

Just a word of warning. Ultrasound is not an accurate way to determine sex. *Especially* if it comes up female. That might just mean that the penis was hiding. (ETA: Especially given that you are still more than 4 months from the due date. This is still really early to be able to tell for sure.)

We were told that our second child was "99% likely" to be a girl. It was one of those new, good ultrasounds and they even got a really clear crotch shot. It was quite a surprise a few months later when he turned out to be a boy.

We didn't even have a boy's name picked out and had to *really* scramble.

So look forward to your future daughter, but don't be too surprised if it doesn't turn out that way.

P.H.Delarran
10-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Elena is a beautiful name.
Phoebe's right, doesn't hurt to have a boy's name ready, just in case.

Inky
10-10-2008, 11:04 PM
As a tomboy, I always cringed at the thought of having girls.
Was elated my first was a boy.
Now I have two daughters....and wonder how the bloody hell my life was ever complete without them.
They rock!!!
So, congrats on discovering that you're having a daughter...which, warning: they become lil' mommas when taking care of daddy...they'll mimic your wife and all she says to you when you're supposed to take meds, what you're NOT supposed to be eating...are you REALLY gonna wear that...waaay too much fun!

But, then there are the profound rewards too...my daughter informed my husband that she wants HIM to take her to her Winter Ball...in full uniform...why?
'Because you're my dad...'

And it was said in a tone of no nonsense...to which I leaned over & whispered: 'guess she told you, eh?'

He's putting together his dress-mess, buying new shoes....

Congrats!!!

underthecity
10-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the congrats!

Regarding the determination of sex: The shot where she figured out the sex was an underside butt shot. She saw five "cracks" which she (and I can't believe I'm typing this) said two of which were "labia." I believe the others were bones, but I'm not sure.

This particular hospital stresses accuracy in determining sex, so we're confident it's a girl. But, you know, surprises do happen. A coworker told me that when his ex was having her ultrasound, they said it was a boy. Turned out it was a girl. Why? The baby had its finger pointed out right in "that" spot.

The boy's name I've had picked out for years is Isaac. Isaac goes great with Singer. You've got Isaac Bashevis Singer, famous author, and Isaac Singer, guy who improved the sewing machine and founded the Singer Sewing Machine Company, not affiliated with my family, verified through geneology.

Although I did want a son, I can still teach Elena to mow the grass, help with the car, and change the oil.

allen

Inky
10-10-2008, 11:54 PM
...and she'll teach you to brush her doll's hair, take in all the strays, what it is to go bra-shopping for the first time....and you'll suffer the urge to kill/mutilate the male species....ahhh...girls....they'll age you all the while making your heart go pitter-patter!

underthecity
10-11-2008, 04:11 PM
I just have one correction.

The baby's name is correctly spelled Alaina. She chose it from a baby name book.

allen

Disa
10-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Awwe, Congratulations! Yes, you SHOULD teach her to mow the grass, change the oil, etc. You're going to be a great dad. I know you'll have lots of fun.

tjwriter
10-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Congrats, Allen. There seems to be a lot of girls around here lately.

She'll have you do all sorts of crazy things, and you'll love every minute of it.

Elaine Margarett
10-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Congratualtions, Allen! What an exciting time in your life!!!

Pike
10-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Let me throw out an early congrats! As the father of four - two of each mind you - I know the excitement and why I'm more gray then ever.

SherryTex
10-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Congratulations. That's a joyous and overwhelming feeling. You'll do great and best wishes.

By All means, teach her to fish, train a dog, change a tire, mow the grass. And if you should be so blessed with sons as well, have them learn to cook, do their own laundry and how to sew on a button. Have them all learn everything. Because whatever you missed, will be needed. This is a test. All grades are final. Love well. You'll have more fun than you've ever had before, even with the cleaning of poop, signing of papers that indicate a total substitution of knowing cheat codes for Nintendo DS for spelling words, and the occasional just plain...why did you do that?