PDA

View Full Version : Restoring and maintaining vintage cars

Bubastes
10-10-2008, 04:33 PM
My MC has a 1955 Porsche 356 Speedster that she's lovingly restored. What are some maintenance tasks she could do under the hood that would impress a guy who's meeting her for the first time? Bonus points if it's possible for her to look sexy while doing them. Thanks!

jclarkdawe
10-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Watch Whiskey Girl by Toby Keith. And yeah, welding is impressive. Cutting with sparks flying can be relatively neat activity (not much dirt). It's not a maintenance activity but it has a lot of visual drama. And done right, it ends with a good solid thud as the cut part drops to the floor. Just remember she needs to wear gloves.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Desert Author
10-10-2008, 08:16 PM
MeowGirl,

There are several routine maintenance functions she could perform: changing the spark plugs, adjusting the ignition timing, adjusting the carburetors, changing valve cover gaskets, installing a new wiring harness, changing the air cleaner filter, flushing the radiator or just changing the engine oil.

If she wore the right type of jeans and if he was even a little interested in her and the car, she'd look sexy while she labored under the hood.

Good luck,

jeff

Bubastes
10-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions! I think I'll have to get some more information on the car itself to make sure that I'm getting the insides right. IIRC, the Porsche 356 is a rear-engine car, so I'll have to verify she's working on the correct end for whatever I have her doing. :)

MelancholyMan
10-10-2008, 10:18 PM
I used to restore old Mustangs. Things that impress car guys, but not as much as a sexy woman in a short skirt bending into an engine compartment, are:

Keep in mind the 356 was a bare-bones sports car. It was basically a souped up Volkswagen Beetle. By today's standards it would seem incredibly utilitarian and basic. No AC. No Seatbelts. Probably no radio. Maybe no heat. No sound deadening materials. Drum brakes. VERY basic. Very cool, but basic.

Things that would impress in this case would be:

-Spotless engine compartment, no grease, no dirt, no oil. A common phrase is, "You could eat off that engine"
-Underside of hood gleams like rest of car
-Engine block is correct color and shiny
-Meticulously threaded and routed spark plug wires
-Weatherstripping along edge of trunk (rear engine) in perfect shape (biggie)
-Engine compartment floor completely rust free

Now this engine compartment is very close to the ground. VERY. No one is going to bend into this engine compartment. They would either crouch or kneel - which can be sexy also.

Bubastes
10-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks! These are the kinds of details that make the difference. I did have notes on the cleanliness of the engine compartment, but I wouldn't have even thought about paying attention to the WAY the spark plug wires were routed. Woot!

jclarkdawe
10-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Remember that guys have different levels of appreciating cars. I'm not overly mechanical and won't care about the pinstripe or notice the lack of rust.

Another approach here is to have the car on jacks and her on a creeper. Can lead to a lot of romance as she can show the underside of the car to the guy. Used on HOME IMPROVEMENT several times.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

MelancholyMan
10-11-2008, 06:35 AM
Another approach here is to have the car on jacks and her on a creeper. Can lead to a lot of romance as she can show the underside of the car to the guy.

Not to mention the underside of herself. I like it.

Bubastes
10-11-2008, 06:43 AM
This scene is really going to be fun to write. Thanks again to all of you!

Snowstorm
10-11-2008, 07:00 AM
Try searching the Internet, MeowGirl. There's probably a forum for Porsche owners (much like AW), and likely one just for antique Porsches. You can probably find tons of information, maintenance, quirks, and anecdotes about the vehicles. Sounds like a lot of fun researching.

chevbrock
10-15-2008, 06:31 AM
You may want to check that the Porsche is a rear-engine rather than a mid-engine car, too :)

raelwv
10-16-2008, 06:42 AM
You might poke around here:

http://forums.rennlist.com/

They have a 356-specific sub forum (on the pulldown menu on the lower left of the page) that probably has some interesting info hanging around.