Still afraid of him after all these years

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this belongs in TIO or if it'll stay here. I suppose if it ends up being controversial, a kind mod will move it.

I'm freaking out.

I got an e-mail Thursday morning from a girl who went to my high school. She was two years younger than me, and I don't remember getting along with her much, but she added me as a friend this summer on Myspace and I thought nothing of it.

Until I saw she was friends with my ex boyfriend.

I just figured that he was using her to spy on my page, which really doesn't bother me. I'm happy, I've moved on, and I'm sure that irritates him to no end. Until I got this e-mail:

Hey hope things are well with you. So do you remember XXXX XXXX, I guess you two dated for quite a while? I have been dating him since July. So he mentioned last night that you guys had a nasty break up in college, but he wouldn't elaborate. I just wanted to make sure he was not one of those guys that like hit you or something. He totally does not seem like the type, but you just never know these days.

Saying we had a nasty break-up is like saying the Holocaust killed some people.

Here's my response.

Oh honey...

He's the one I've blogged about.

He tried to kill me. No sh*t. He hit me twice while we were dating (slug fests, not just a one-slap thing), and once we broke up, the shit really hit the fan and he got angry that I went out to the bars with a couple of guys from his floor. So he threw me up against a wall, wrapped his hands around my throat and started to choke me. He heard the guys in the hallway pounding on the door (because I was screaming) and choked harder. They got the door open and pulled him off me.

He played the worst mindgames of any man I have ever known. He really f*cked me up and it took a couple of years of therapy for me to even trust walking alone at night. He beat me down so bad I got up fighting, and I've been fighting ever since. But that's me. I can't tell you much about him because I don't think I ever really knew him, and we dated for two and a half years.

He made me happy for awhile, but once I tried to have friends, especially guy friends, he wouldn't have it. Eventually, he cut me off from all my friends.

Oh. And he cheated on me. Twice.

Is he a different person? Probably. Is he someone I'd want around my kids? Never, but that's me.

I want him to find happiness, but I wish it would be with someone I don't know. I really hope he didn't start dating you just because you know me. He tried to do that in college.

*HUGS* I wish you the best, and if he's the best for you. . . that's your choice to make.

I had to say it. She's dating him, and she should know. At least, that's how I felt at the time. Now, I wish I'd kept my big mouth shut and told her to ask him about it, and keep me out of it.

If she dumps him, I'm afraid he'll come after me. For eight of the last ten years, I was able to relax because he'd moved to Denver, and then to New Orleans, and then back to Denver. Two years ago, he moved back to his hometown (nearby) and 45 minutes from ME. We're not easy to find, but he's persistent. And crazy. He tried to kill me with his hands before. I'm afraid he'll come after me with something more...permanent.

Do I think she'll dump him? Probably not. As I said, I didn't get along with this girl in high school, so she probably sees this as a challenge to succeed where I failed. My concern was for her toddler-aged daughter (hence the line about kids...I don't have children).

If she does dump him, I'm scared for her and for me. He doesn't handle rejection well.

I guess I'm venting here for two reasons. One, to get it off my chest. Two, I want a record, not only in my e-mail account, but also online where I have tons of witnesses. I'm tired of being afraid of him.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I'm very proud of you for this post, Erin. Sometimes when we keep things bottled up for too long it is detrimental.

I believe you have done the right thing and have said what needed to be said. Someone a lot smarter than me once said that for evil to thrive all it takes is good men (and women) to do nothing. It's hard to take a stand sometimes and sometimes there are risks associated with taking a stand.

I know that you are a very caring and wonderful woman. You've again demonstrated that by replying to the email. You didn't go out of your way to be spiteful and replied to that of which you were asked.

You've done the right thing.

JJ

EriRae

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, you guys.

Thanks, especially, JJ. I needed to hear that I did the right thing. I knew at the time, but now, silence seems so much more comfortable.

If something happened to her down the road and I said nothing, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. If something happens to me down the road because I said something . . . just know that I love you guys.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Another shitty abusing coward bastard who doesn't deserve to be called a man!

Whoops, that just slipped out, sorry!

Wow Erin, and you let this keeper go?! What were you thinking?

-Derek

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I wanted to live. :D
Seems there's a selfish side to you I never knew existed!

Well, I can only hope he stays the hell away from you. If you haven't already, consider talking to your local community police and asking them for advice.

And I hope your new-found email buddy has the sense to change her name and get out of town.

-Derek

EriRae

Registered
Reaction score
Oh...and I got a PM about the blog. My second or third blog on Myspace was about him, (ETA in July 07 or so) about what he'd done, and how he moved away, and then I felt safe and got Myspace only to find out he'd moved back HOME! And I was scared then, but nothing happened. I blogged about my anniversary w/ hubby in May, and my "e-mail buddy" congratulated me on nine years of marriage, so I think this has been going on longer than July.

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
a girl I knew was in a similar situation with an ex. Enlisting the help of two friends I went and had a discussion, of sorts, with him. He never contacted her again. I'm not suggesting you do something like this, yourself, but it always is an option. // Good luck and stay strong.

EriRae

Registered
Reaction score
a girl I knew was in a similar situation with an ex. Enlisting the help of two friends I went and had a discussion, of sorts, with him. He never contacted her again. I'm not suggesting you do something like this, yourself, but it always is an option. // Good luck and stay strong.

If it would solve the problem, I would have someone beat him down in a heartbeat. In his sick, twisted mind, that would show him that I care, and that I need to be taught a lesson, because however much he hurts, I must hurt more.

The only person I care about here is that little innocent girl who may end up with him as a daddy.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Absolutely the right thing to do, to forewarn...

Alas, I don't think it will help the other woman to make the right choice...but it depends on the type of person she is. We attempted to convince my SIL that getting the crap beat out of her wasn't an appropriate way for someone to show their affection, and it ultimately took an attempted murder charge (putting him in jail) before it finally sunk in.

Stay safe!

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
I wish someone had done this for my sister before she married the drunken pillock she finally got rid of (though not before he'd put her and her kids through hell). You totally did the right thing, and maybe this girl will have the sense to listen - even if she doesn't, you tried.
I'd suggest phoning a women's shelter or domestic abuse advice line, and asking their advice on what to do if this guy shows any signs of turning up. They'll have lots of experience dealing with this kind of useless specimen, and can probably give you plenty of practical advice and numbers of other people to contact, legal options etc. Good luck, and well done you.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Hi sweetie,

I just finished that horrific chapter in math and I came to read what you posted. Thank you for putting things into perspective for me.

I'm so sorry you are going through this again. I think people like him like to prey on our fears. I know its hard not to be terrified. I had someone once threaten me with a gun. Someone I knew very well.

Let me just say, in the town of Endicott in upstate New York, my brother (yes we are Italian) went to have a "chat" with the guy. I didn't see him after that. I didn't know that my brother had gone to do anything other than talk to him. Some of my friends told me that the "chat" got the message across and I was never bothered by him or anyone else that summer.

I'm not saying you should have someone go break his knee caps (why me? I'd never suggest that!)

I'm just sayin'. :D

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If something happened to her down the road and I said nothing, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. If something happens to me down the road because I said something . . . just know that I love you guys.

Erin -
You did the right thing. (All it takes for evil to prosper is for good (wo)men to do nothing.)
Your post was sincere and w/o any undue vitriol.
Hopefully she will work it out and ex-O-spazzo has moved on from you and won't bother you any more.

Be well.

EriRae

Registered
Reaction score
I wish someone had done this for my sister before she married the drunken pillock she finally got rid of (though not before he'd put her and her kids through hell). You totally did the right thing, and maybe this girl will have the sense to listen - even if she doesn't, you tried.
I'd suggest phoning a women's shelter or domestic abuse advice line, and asking their advice on what to do if this guy shows any signs of turning up. They'll have lots of experience dealing with this kind of useless specimen, and can probably give you plenty of practical advice and numbers of other people to contact, legal options etc. Good luck, and well done you.

Wow--I never even thought about the women's shelter. I will definitely check into it.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If someone tries to kill you, shouldn't they be in jail???

EriRae

Registered
Reaction score
If someone tries to kill you, shouldn't they be in jail???

I wish. This (the trying to kill me) happened when I was in college 13 years ago, and I didn't press charges. I just wanted him to leave me alone.

ETA: There should be a record with campus police, though, because they were called, and I filed a report.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
You did the right thing, Erin, just expect her to not listen. :(

I went through a similar thing with my ex-h. I moved 3000 miles away, and he followed me. I kept tossing his butt in jail, since I had a restraining order, but he was persistent. He got a girlfriend and had HER contacting me to taunt me and I told her to think about what she was doing: she was continuing his abuse for him! She said I was just a jealous, jilted ex. They conspired to have ME arrested (and succeeded!) but thankfully before I went to trial, he beat the crap out of her, too, so she went to court and admitted to lying about the whole thing. They did a bunch of damage to his rental property and told the police I did it. What a nightmare. He ended up in jail for four years on another charge, after doing a year for shooting (but not killing) the girl he was with after the lying girl. The girl he shot contacted me and told me that she wished she had listened to the warnings about him. She could have died. She had a child, too, who witnessed the shooting.

They just don't listen.

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
I am sorry and I know this fear. I know the worry about an ex that has "offered/tried" to end my life. And, proclaimed it loudly to those that would listen - not just me.

Just remember, more safety in numbers. Vary routines so you are not "daydreaming" while going about regular duties and are on autopilot (thereby maybe not on guard). Be aware of all your surroundings at all times. Do NOT look for things to make your worry grow, but do not ignore or dismiss things that ARE out of place/context. Always act sooner, rather than later when faced with ANY contact from him. Do not dismiss it as "one time", he got his piece in and it is over, he will leave me alone now. Regardless of whatever you see, hear, etc. Keep your log going. A notebook by the phone for hang ups dates/times will help if you need tracers on phone logs for a restraining order in the future. Any time you see him/her (cuz he could brainwash her to do his dirty work) jot down time, place, if contact or not. Keep all this stuff - photocopy it and keep a copy outside your home. And go to police as soon as ANYTHING happens. You have this feeling for a reason. Listen to yourself and keep you and your hubby safe.

Offering the truth to this girl was a service and you did not sound like you were just being a jealous ex. What she does with it is uncontrollable, but you should take comfort that you may have saved one or two lives.

I hope he stays away from you. I hope he does.

Christine

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Guys like this need to be taken outside and just shot right in the face.

Sorry you had to go through all that.