Let's talk MCs....

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
Care to share a bit about yours? What is it about this character that makes you want to spend countless hours in their head?

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
I think my MC is named Charlotte but don't call her that, she insists on Charlie. She's 16/17 and has been raised by her agoraphobic, hoarder of a grandmother-Mimi. All Charlie wants is to have a normal life-be free of the stigma of being a Hennessey. This is no easy task when she has to keep everyone at arm's length-God forbid anyone ever wanted to come over her house. Unthinkable.

It's a small town and her family has a long history of being...peculiar. She's secretly afraid of turning out like them so she's always testing herself. When she's sure there are no witnesses she's does reckless things-to prove to herself that she'll never be phobic. She's also a minimalist to the extreme. Her padlocked bedroom barely looks lived in-she compulsively weeds out anything she doesn't need.

I think she's going to be a lot of fun to write-baggage and all.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I have two MCs.

Aleks is a archaologist, who at 18, wrote his own obituaries. In them, they tell a tale of man who is well known for discovering something. Each one says he discovered something different. The Lost City of Atlantis. The Tasmanian Tiger. Big Foot. The what doesn't matter, but it's the discovery and being known for it that counts. He will stop at nothing to make one of these obituaries truth, rather than fiction.

He's a pretty driven and determined guy. Sometimes a bit stubborn and selfish, but independent and wanting to choose his own destiny, rather than the one his parents set out for him.

Hadeon is a slave for the 12th Century. His parents ran away from their master's estate when he was 10, leaving him behind to come find them when he was strong and wise enough. A man is to guide him to their location. The story opens with Hadeon rebelling, killing his master, and going in search of his parents.

He's been a bit abused and screwed over as a slave, as you'd expect so he's a bit touchy and quick to act. But also very determined.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
My MC is a 40-something man whose wife was brutally murdered and his child stolen from her womb. He's been depressed ever since, living through the charity of his parents, siblings and even cousins, since he's so mentally fucked up he can't hold a job. He's been having therapy but is secretly trying to track down his wife's killers because justice didn't do anything for him.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I have two MCs.

Two stories, I assume? (I can't quite see how those two would intersect.)

Aleks sounds like a lot of fun!

Mine:
Kian's the heir to the ruler of a city-state in space, the self-contained world-ship Ulysses. His father died in an accident when he was a young teen; now his mother rules, with Kian as deputy. He loves street theater, music and dance as they're seen in public festivals, more so than the formal court setting; he's fond of going out on the streets incognito, and particularly of the dice game everyone plays (but that royalty isn't supposed to really pursue). To his father's relatives that makes him disreputable, not living up to his station, but he does know how to behave as a prince and has no problem with doing so. He just doesn't see the two as mutually exclusive.

Zere's the daughter of a leader in Ulysses' underground. She's 17, sociable and fun-loving, and her father's star pupil in sabotage, smuggling, and other such pursuits. She's seen and admired his mischief, and others', when society or individuals got too smug and trouble-free; Kian's father died in one such accident. One day she expects to pull off the same scores, maybe with Kian as target -- but for now she's just bored and looking to have fun.

Oh, and Murphy? is the god of Zere's people.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Two stories, I assume? (I can't quite see how those two would intersect.)

Aleks sounds like a lot of fun!

Yeah, two stories.

Yeah, he is. Love him and hate him at the same time. Big head, yet rebel to the status quo of what success is. Determined, yet sometimes too determined. Won't let anyting stop him, including logic.

Zere sounds fun.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Zere sounds fun.

Yeah, she's a lot of fun. Can be an absolute idjit at times, but she's got an excuse (being a teenager, and somewhat her upbringing -- enforces the feeling of being invincible). Kian certainly doesn't know what to make of her. :)

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
I have two MCs as well, but it's more one character's story than the other. They're partners on opposite sides of the same issue. Wrap your head around that one. Ha! He's half demon and she's an exorcist, so there you go. They're in obvious opposition when the story starts, but to accomplish a mutual goal that develops by the middle of the book (to prevent a rebellion of half-breeds from wiping out the human race using demon-possessed robots -- the genre is steampunk urban fantasy), they learn to work together. I love the dichotomy, the yin and yang character arcs. And no, it's not a romance. There's an attraction between them that sparks tension, but they never hook up in a romantic way. Could happen in a later book, though. This will be the first book in a planned series.

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
Karen-maybe your MC could come visit mine as she could really use an exorcist about now. My MC's trouble starts when some boy comes around calling her by another name-seems she's not the nice person she thought she was, in fact she's not really Charlotte at all. She doesn't remember who she really is because her soul took possession of Charlotte when she was just a baby. MC is about to pay for past crimes she can't remember.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Brenna - she is a hybrid human; she was born from earth parents on another planet which surprisingly gave her powers. She's a killing machine of sorts. :)
<< She looks like her.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
My MC is a rich, Catholic woman in her 30s, living in Manhattan. She's married for the second time to a man she despises, yet she stays in the marriage for her own reasons. Her first husband left her, and she never recovered and never loved anyone else. Now, she's depressed and alcohol dependent. But she has a daughter she lives for, who's the reason for all that she does. She's an intelligent woman with a lot to lose if the truth comes out.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I've got two MCs for my NaNo but so far I've only really written about one.

Haze is a twenty-something working as a dragonslayer in a once-prestigious order of knights. Right now they're the laughingstock of the kingdom, but Haze's father, the leader of this order, still clings to old glory days. Hence he forcibly drafted his son. Haze is lazy and completely unmotivated. The story begins with his very first mission as a dragonslayer.

Sable is the dragon Haze is sent to kill. She's a runt and very sensitive about her size. She's also very smart and interested mainly in keeping her own belly full. Because of her size she's been kicked to the very edge of dragon territory, thus forcing her to use the local village as a way to survive. She'd very much like to knock her full-sized kin down a ladder or three, but she lacks the power to do it herself. When she meets Haze, however, she gets an idea...

~DragonHeart~

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
My MC is 15-year-old Stephan Kilgore.

He's supposed to destroy the world.

At first he doesn't want to, but then he changes his mind.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Two MC's... two stories....

Dis gibs meh an idear.

Same. Now I'm wondering who I could add to my NaNo and how their lives could become entwined :)

My MC is a spry lass, quite grown for her age, but she comes from a no-nonsense peasant family in hard times :)

Feathers

emerging from the writing cave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.headdeskforwriters.blogspot.com
JustJess said:
Karen-maybe your MC could come visit mine as she could really use an exorcist about now. My MC's trouble starts when some boy comes around calling her by another name-seems she's not the nice person she thought she was, in fact she's not really Charlotte at all. She doesn't remember who she really is because her soul took possession of Charlotte when she was just a baby. MC is about to pay for past crimes she can't remember.

:eek: I want to read that!

My main character is Lucien. I'm not sure how old he is, probably around 15-17. He's been genetically manipulated to travel to alternate realities and right now, he's being pulled out of a coma so that he can find the only other alternate traveler, Maddox. Lucien was a guy who wanted to do the right thing, but felt he was too weak. He made some decisions that he wasn't proud of. He may even had gotten himself locked up on purpose, and in his own way, he's a lot stronger than anyone thinks. His biggest challenge is going to be realizing that he doesn't have to fail, if he doesn't believe he will fail.

Mostly he's dark and tortured but somehow wry and fresh. It's a POV that really sucks me into the story, so I think writing from his perspective will be fun.

-Feathers

Feathers

emerging from the writing cave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.headdeskforwriters.blogspot.com
KarenDuvall said:
I have two MCs as well, but it's more one character's story than the other. They're partners on opposite sides of the same issue. Wrap your head around that one. Ha! He's half demon and she's an exorcist, so there you go. They're in obvious opposition when the story starts, but to accomplish a mutual goal that develops by the middle of the book (to prevent a rebellion of half-breeds from wiping out the human race using demon-possessed robots -- the genre is steampunk urban fantasy), they learn to work together. I love the dichotomy, the yin and yang character arcs. And no, it's not a romance. There's an attraction between them that sparks tension, but they never hook up in a romantic way. Could happen in a later book, though. This will be the first book in a planned series.

This is Mystic Taxi, right? Sounds awesome.

-Feathers

Blake M. Petit

Geek Pundit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.evertimerealms.com
I'm actually being a little adventurous -- trying my hand at what I think of as a "Mamet film." In other words, I've got multiple storylines running simultaneously, each with its own protagonist, and the stories cross and link at various points. It's actually a superhero story.

So the characters in question are:

A cop who is convinced her partner is a superhero
A scientist trying to cure a hero in a coma
A parparazzi being blackmailed by an unseen force
A hero who feels like his partner gets all the glory from the press
The most beautiful heroine in the world, who is afraid her boyfriend (the strongest hero in the world) wouldn't love the "real her"
The villain whose scheme will ultimately draw all these storylines to a common climax

jscribbles

Who killed my sea monkeys?
Registered
Reaction score
My MC is a 16-year-old redhead chick who attends a preppy Catholic school. When she turns 16, her special power matures - an ability to manipulate the future with her drawings/paintings. The only problem is, she isn't able to control exactly how this works. Bad things happen, she has to set them right.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Evan Snowfield is an young, ambitious corporate superstar struggling in the shadow of his genius older brother, the family darling.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
wow...Everyone's stories sound so intriguing. I would buy all of these in book stores.