Bailout

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the place, but I know of no other. The U.S. just handed financial systems a 700 billion dollar bailout. That's 700 billion dollars to the same folks who made the mess.

I checked U.S. population figures (300 million) and found that in 2000 there were 105 thousand households. I am not a mathematician, but my calculator indicates that 106 thousand (adding for 2008, not that it makes a lot of difference) divided into 700 billion equals 6,603,773. That looks to me like 6 million plus to every household. What would that do to the economy?

Or am I just totally wrong somewhere?

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
Bailout correction

OK, I goofed. There are 106 million, not thousand, households. I misread a comma for a period. Even so, I would welcome 6 thousand dollars, it would help a lot, and put a lot of it back into the mix. If you eliminated the big multimillion dollar mansions and multiple homes per family, the amount would be larger. 6 thousand to me I think would be about equivalent to 6 billion for a bank or savings and loan. Or, how about divvying it up among the foreclosures? (I know, people who fell for sub-prime mortgages are partly responsible, but no more than the banks that dangled them. It's time for a change from trickle down to bubble up.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...Or am I just totally wrong somewhere?
You're right. But on the bright side, if you divide that number by 300 million residents, it only equates to about $2334 per person. Then you factor in all of the fiscal contributions from illegal immigrants living in the US, and we're ahead of the game! Heck, 700 billion is just a drop in the bucket...

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A multibillion dollar bailout and the execs of a subsidary of AIG spend $443,000 at a luxury spa retreat after their inital bailout payment :rant:

Last edited: