How do timed word wars work?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Do people simply pick a time interval, write like mad, then post their results here or elsewhere? Is it something we could do here on AW?

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I do it by going on the NaNoWriMo chatroom and there's some chat bot that you can use to program a wordwar to start in so many minutes and last so many minutes. It tells when you start and finish, and then you share your wordcount with the other chatters.

I also have a kitchen timer on my dining table where mine and my housemate's laptops are to race ourselves and each other.

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
A thread could be set up here next month to do them.

I do mine at the NaNo site in Word Wars, Prompts & Sprints. I like the 15 min. ones. Someone says what time they are starting and anyone who is around can join in. When the time is up we post how many words we wrote. Take a short break and go again. Good way to gets lots of words written in a day.

Some meet in chats to do them.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was contemplating holding a series of word wars and hosting an online write-in if folks are interested. For example, Nov. 1st is a saturday. What about a midnight write-a-thon?

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
How do online write-ins work? I'm planning to get as far as I can that first weekend, so maybe a challenge might help.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have specified check in times to update and encourage each other. Like say, we have a quick check in at midnight and then an agreement for everyone to check in an hour later to give word counts and pep talks. Then at the end, folks can post little excerpts of their writing.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like fun. Remember we have folks in different time zones, so it'll be a rolling start at least on the first night.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Aussies get a jump start, but they have to end earlier too. :D It's all good.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I was contemplating holding a series of word wars and hosting an online write-in if folks are interested. For example, Nov. 1st is a saturday. What about a midnight write-a-thon?

I'd be up for that! That sounds like a lot of fun.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
I would love to participate in the familiar setting of AW, since I find the forums as NaNo a bit intimidating. I'm down for whatever.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I feel really stupid. Lets say I challenge bsolah to a word war (lets forgo time zones and all time differences for the sake of argument). Someone (or a bot) referees this? Then we both start writing - writing what exactly, part of the novel, or just anything we want - and finish in a fixed time frame? When we're done, whomever has more words is the winner? Is content judged at all?

You both agree on a set amount of time to write - say, 30 minutes, starting at the top of the hour. You then work on whatever you like -- outlining, character lists, prose, freewriting. It's easier to compare the amount of words you've both done at the end if you are both writing prose, but as the aim is to get you moving forward in your WIP, I don't think it's compulsory. You can just say, "I wrote three scene outlines!" if you like. (NaNo word wars are usually prose word counts). Nobody referees, although if there are other people in the chat room who aren't warring, they can keep an eye on the time for you and post "Time!" when time is up, as well as cheering you on if you post an ongoing count every now and then. You can share a snippet of what you wrote; that's between you and the other word warriors, but no one judges content as such.

Edited to add: No need to feel stupid! If we're ever in the AW chat room at the same time, I'd be happy to word war with you. That way you'd get some experience at it before NaNo. :)

burgy61

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
We have specified check in times to update and encourage each other. Like say, we have a quick check in at midnight and then an agreement for everyone to check in an hour later to give word counts and pep talks. Then at the end, folks can post little excerpts of their writing.

I think it's a great idea, I'm in.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: Glad you're doing NaNo with us, Michael! I'm going to start a NaNo Party thread.