PDA

View Full Version : freezing fresh asparagus?

MaryMumsy
10-09-2008, 09:51 PM
So, the local market had it for a really good price, and it looked good, and I just kept adding bundles to my bag. Now I'm either going to be eating it three meals a day for the next week, or I need to freeze some. Would you just trim it, blanch it, chill it, and put it in freezer bags?

MM:Shrug:

Siddow
10-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Yep, you got it. Make sure they're dry when you freeze them.

vixey
10-09-2008, 10:05 PM
If I wanted to freeze asparagus, that's how I'd do it. We have a Food Saver that sucks the air out of bags and seals it.

But I probably wouldn't freeze it because I like it on the crisp side. However, frozen asparagus might make a nice soup or addition in stir fry.

MaryMumsy
10-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks. Already had some in stir-fry. Had more roasted in the oven with olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper and fresh basil. Sunday breakfast is going to be a frittata with asparagus, onions and cheese. Tonight, just steamed with butter, to go with the pot roast, mashed potatoes and onion gravy.

MM

chevbrock
10-15-2008, 07:33 AM
What time's dinner? :)

Haggis
10-15-2008, 07:39 AM
If I liked asparagus, I'd blanch it first. But it's icky. So why bother?

chevbrock
10-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Oh, and if you have that rule, "If it's yellow, let it mellow" at your house, I think you should absolutely disregard that rule for the next few days!