RWA chapter online writing workshop to start Monday, Oct. 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvernonpal

Registered
Reaction score
Join the East Texas Chapter of Romance Writers of America for an online workshop:

“REJECTION! WHEN THEY SAY YOUR BABY IS UGLY”
Led by published author Tracy Garrett the week of October 13-18, 2008

ABOUT THE WORKSHOP
We all know that feeling — the elation when a letter or email arrives, sporting a publisher's or agent's return address. The thrill, the jolt of excitement, the anticipation. The punch in the gut when you read that word "unfortunately. " Rejected. The balloon deflates, sometimes taking our inspiration and energy with it.

When a writer receives a rejection, the toughest thing to do is step back from the manuscript, take an objective look, and try to see what the editor/agent/ contest judge saw. We have to make a decision: ignore them, take their word and fix it--or toss it under the bed and move on to something else.

In this class, participants will look at the rejections they've received. What comments are you getting? Has more than one letter mentioned the same thing? Are you not sure what the editor/agent meant by a comment? And what can you do to locate that elusive Muse and drag her back to the keyboard? By reviewing the comments with objectivity, you can find your inspiration, make your manuscript stronger – and maybe change that “Not right for us” to “We want it right now!”

HOW TO REGISTER IN THE ONLINE WORKSHOP

$15.00 - RWA Members
$20.00 - General Public

Register online and pay by PayPal (www.easttexasrwa.com)

Registration fee and form can be mailed to:

RWA-ETC
P.O. Box 131322
Tyler, Texas 75713
For more information, contact Cheril Vernon at cherilvernon@yahoo.com or Carol Braswell at [email protected]

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Tracy Garrett can’t remember when books weren’t a part of her life. From bedtime stories to extra credit reading assignments, Tracy has always loved to disappear into the worlds created within the pages of a story.

While being a writer was not initially the burning desire in her life, creativity has always been core to Tracy. She is an accomplished musician with a bachelor and masters degree in flute performance, as well as post-graduate study in vocal performance, who continues to perform and teach. About ten years ago, her need for creativity and her passion for reading began to merge, and with her love of romance, writing historical romance was a natural for her. She loves a “happily ever after!”

Tracy is an active member of Romance Writers of America, Published Authors Network (PAN), Dallas Area Romance Authors (DARA), Published Authors Special Interest Chapter (PASIC), and Hearts Through History Romance.

Her first novel, TOUCH OF TEXAS, is available now. Her next western historical, TOUCHED BY LOVE, will be released in November, 2008.
Visit our Website at easttexasrwa.com to download forms.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I'll be nice and leave this here for today, cvernonpal. But the proper place for this is the Announcement forum. I'll move it there tomorrow, so you get a wider range of views. :)

IHeartWriting

Lurking in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jblynn.wordpress.com
I just wanted to chime in and say I never read the Announcements section, but I do read the Romance board. I, for one, appreciate that it's here and not there since it's an RWA sponsored workshop. Maybe the policy needs to be re-thought?

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm the same.

I've never read the Announcements section either. Didn't even notice it. Should check it once in a while I guess.

I am frequently checking this thread out at least once a day.

Thanks for posting this here anyway

Cheers, Josie :)

para

Registered
Reaction score
I've been posting my announcements in the announcement section and putting a link in my signature. I didn't read anything that said you couldn't do that.

cvernonpal

Registered
Reaction score
Because we got the word out too late about the workshop “REJECTION! WHEN THEY SAY YOUR BABY IS UGLY," originally scheduled the week of Oct. 13-18, we are going to have to postpone it until February 2008.

Cheril Vernon, program director, Romance Writers of America — East Texas Chapter.
East Texas RWA

Status
Not open for further replies.