MOMoir

Ritergal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
heartandcraft.blogspot.com
Interesting idea. Writers Digest online workshops are $319 for twelve weeks. Story Circle Network offers online classes for women and charges around $225 for six sessions. DailyOM has a an online story writing class, 12 weeks for $40. Gotham Writers Workshop courses are $400 for ten weeks. Prices are all over the map.

Some people believe you get what you pay for, others believe free is good. Some teachers are comfortable charging high fees, others don't want the stress of having to live up to the expectations that go with charging high fees.

I've been listening to A Conversation About the Writing Life between Julia Cameron and Natalie Goldberg. Both of those women teach, and you pay dearly for the privilege of studying with them. And, get this, at one point in the conversation, it came out that neither one of them studied writing in any formal way. They just wrote. They wrote a lot! And they both read a lot.

Ritergal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
heartandcraft.blogspot.com
I should add that support groups of one sort or another are really helpful for writers. Some like face-to-face, but it's hard to find a writing group with the right chemistry among members. Online groups can be great, but tend to get chatty and/or fizzle. Classes are excellent, because they are for a finite time. Once in awhile, you can find the nucleus of an ongoing group as a spin-off from a class, whether classroom or online.

So for those who can afford these Momoir classes, they may be a godsend. Sticking to your writing with tots around? Perhaps the biggest challenge I can imagine, and group accountability could make the crucial difference.

Peachnuts

Registered
Reaction score
Website
insidemyoyster.blogspot.com
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
I am going to be talking directly to the lady who runs the show today. I really want to get a feel if her course will help me out or not. Because you're right, it is a lot of money.
Interesting what you said about the Julia Cameron tidbit.
I like to learn from the women who walk ahead of me and would pay if it helped me move forward with my career.
I agree a good mix for a group is important. I think I would be one who could benefit from face to face as well. I find this writing life a tad lonesome at times.
I have 2 little tots and manage to write, it's a struggle some times, but a huge priority if my family likes to deal with a sane Mommy.