Indecisive Rejection of Interesting Query!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rameish

Registered
Reaction score
My query emails very often remaining unanswered, I re-queried to ask why and here's one particularly intriguing reply I got:

I am sorry to say that I do not have time to answer all the queries and instead usually focus on those which are either easy to reject or those in which we have a definite interest. Your query was not easy to reject, nor was it particularly good match for our strengths, and so I am sorry to say again that we are not interested in your work at this time.

As I see it, this can be called an indecisive rejection of an interesting query; remember this came in response to a brief query without any manuscript or sample material or even a comprehensive synopsis! Seeing merely a short query, when you find it not easy to reject, wouldn't it be a better idea to demand seeing more to decide rather than to either remain silent or send an indecisive rejection? And what does at this time imply? Am I expected to repetitively keep querying to check when you get interested? Else, this is again a sign of indecision and reluctance to reject!

Maybe I am thinking wrong and this is why I want to share with you all; I'll feel obliged hearing your opinions - especially if some of the agents/editors visiting here have something to say.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
I would take it to mean (and I suggest this as a way tokeep your sanity and because it might actually be true) that at this particular time the agency in question does not have the connections to sell your particular book. Sometime in the future they may or may not have established those connections.

How's that?

Oh and welcome to the board.

Yeah, I've been here long enough to say that. ;-)
Stlight

Rameish

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Stlight; what you suggest is also a way of looking at it - perhaps a more realistic interpretation than the one I did and you certainly do have a vastly greater experience here than what I have (I've only seen a small part of this huge board). Yet, ISTM, my interpretation too is meaningful. Don't you think so?

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Rameish, it means no. Just no. But they're trying to be polite about it. Query the next one. Anything except the actual word yes, means no.

And welcome to AW.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Seeing merely a short query, when you find it not easy to reject, wouldn't it be a better idea to demand seeing more to decide rather than to either remain silent or send an indecisive rejection?

Agents receive hundreds of queries. A query is usually expected to outline the plot at the very least. If it doesn't, then the agent would be more likely to be annoyed than intrigued for more. Is there any particular reason why the query is so short?

Also, there is a slim chance that this is just a polite way of saying no. From what I know, there are quite a number of agents who don't reply to work that they're not interested in.

IMHO, it doesn't make much sense that they reject some queries outright if they don't like them, but do not send a reply to those that they semi-like. I would expect the converse to be true.

Rameish

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Nevada. And yes, what you say is the genuine practical advice and that's what I did after receiving this NO and today I have another agent exclusively and interestedly reading my ms. It's only out of academic curiosity that I am discussing this.

Rameish

Registered
Reaction score
IMHO, it doesn't make much sense that they reject some queries outright if they don't like them, but do not send a reply to those that they semi-like. I would expect the converse to be true.

However strange it might seem to me, dear Darzian, your opinion too is valuable and thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.