publisher destroys copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellba

Anyone had their publisher destroy inventory? Regards new sale of a pub to another house. My contract says they must first offer books to me but they don't seem concerned. Attorney says too costly to sue. Where does this leave authors? Thanks.

wwwatcher

Bellba

Doesn't sound good. I would post this question on novel writing and tell them your book is a children's book. There are published authors there who may have some advice for you.

I hope this bump (boulder) in the road will bring good things in the long run.

Faye:heart

Stephanie

Belba,

I'd set Angela Hoy of Writer'sWeeklyCom onto that publisher. :teeth

bellba

I've tried to reach Angela and haven't been able to get an email to go through. Any ideas? Thanks for any help you might offer!

Stephanie

Thanks for posting that, Patti. I know that Angela's last newsletter said she's back home now.

Jamesaritchie

publisher

I've never had this happen, and the publisher should offer you the chance to buy as many novels you want at an author's discount.

At the same time, I can't see what good a lawsuit would do, even if it cost nothing? And if I had a new publisher for the novel, I'd a hundred times rather have the old publisher destroy copies of the novel instead of having them hither and yon on remainder tables. That could hurt sales of the reprint.

trisha410

Re: publisher

I read this post not a reprint of the same title, but a new title altogether. Perhaps I am wrong in assuming that, but then again, this could be the key to their lack of cooperation. Maybe a "first look" wasn't offered and the publisher feels slighted.

Now, if we are talking about a reprint, yes, it is better to have the first run out of circulation.

If we are talking about returns, chances are the books will be marked, covers removed, or in some other way damaged so they are not re-sellable.

If these are books in mint condition and held in inventory by the publisher, a strong letter from an attorney might stop the destruction of the books.

I cringe to think of good books being destroyed. A donation to First-Book (my favorite), or another charitable organization would certainly be a more pleasant alternative. Personally, I would even go so far as to offer to pay for shipping and donate the books rather than see them burn.

Please let us know the outcome.

My best,
Patti
Joyful Productions
MILTON'S DILEMMA is the tale of a loney boy's magical journey to friendship and self-acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.