Why is it...

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
... that I can't get anything done if my house is a mess? I had all these plans today for working out and getting studies done and yet I keep doing housework.

I've always been like this. If I go to do homework and my office is a bit cluttered, needs dusting or vacuuming I have to clean it BEFORE I can do one teensy weensy bit of homework. I can't concentrate until I get it done.

Working out for me is a release and fun so guess what? If my house is untidy, yep...you guessed it, I have to clean first! *grrr*

So yeah, cleanliness is next to ...well you get the idea BUT what if I would do better at cleaning if I had done my workout and homework first? Do you think I can think of it that way? NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo!

Never mind thinking of ...dare I say it? Writing! Heck no, nothing gets in the way of my need for uncluttered cleanliness. Mind you if I don't have anything in scheduled for the day, who cares about cleaning! What is up with this?

So tell me, does this plague you? If not...what does?

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
well i did dishes this morning instead of writing or yoga. I am a messie Bessie, but if it too bad I feel stressed.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
You can come to my house.... and clean. So I can keep writing.

:tongue
You'd be surprised how much I'd rather clean your house than mine. For some reason, I find that fun. Probably cos I'd be all chatty and annoying you so you wouldn't get a thing done which would really defeat the purpose when you think about it so I better just think of you, Ray and politely decline. *giggles* YEAH! I'm a freak...I was going to say lately but you'd hardly think me credible. :tongue

well i did dishes this morning instead of writing or yoga. I am a messie Bessie, but if it too bad I feel stressed.
Maybe that's why I can't let it go today. I even sat trying to making deals with myself. The conversation went like this:

Me to self: Listen, you worked out two days in a row and four days last week. You can take a day off or even maybe ride the bike later when you have a break. It won't kill you to ease up.

Self to me: Oh sure, you start rationalizing like that and you'll never have a regular routine again.

Me to self: HEY! I am doing way better than last month so lay off.

Self to me: No you lay off.

Me to self: Shut up.

Self to me: You first.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Housework is a great way to fit in extra exercise. Make it part of your routine. Do toe-raises while you dust. Clench your glutes while you vacuum. It's not as vigorous as going to the gym, but it's still exercise. :)

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a very common problem. Fortunately, I don't have it. My office looks like a bomb went off. I often quote a plaque a former boss had in his office: A clean desk is a sign of an empty mind. Given the state of my desk, my mind overfloweth.

MM

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Housework is a great way to fit in extra exercise. Make it part of your routine. Do toe-raises while you dust. Clench your glutes while you vacuum. It's not as vigorous as going to the gym, but it's still exercise. :)
And you know, in the challenges section of the forum, I started a thread called Bragging Rights where we are allowed to count housework as activity too. :D Yes that's a shameless pitch to get you all to participate. ;)

This is a very common problem. Fortunately, I don't have it. My office looks like a bomb went off. I often quote a plaque a former boss had in his office: A clean desk is a sign of an empty mind. Given the state of my desk, my mind overfloweth.

MM
LOL. I'm going to make a sign and put that over my desk :D

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I'm a procrastinator. If I *should* be writing (or school work) I'll clean because I'm putting off what I should be doing. If I should be doing chores, I'll do everything else. Except when it's the deadline-- when I'm out of spoons/forks/bowls that's the deadline for dishes.

Hubby can always tell when there's something I *should* be doing. The house is spotless. =)

Luckily, I don't need spotless environment. It's never wholly clean.

Lemme ask you this-- what does it mean if you don't clean/workout (besides breaking routine)? Does it mean you're... not a good person, a slacker, something? If you figure out your motivation (or negative motivation) then you might be able to counter it with, say rational thought. As in, you're still a good person if the floor isn't vaccuumed but you wrote 2,000 words.

Or make schedules and time limits. If you've met your quota for cleaning and working out, then you've earned the write to 'punch out' and do something fun. All work and no play makes... people cranky. =)

Best of luck. And if you need something to clean, you can try my place. I don't chat, so it won't bother me. ;-)