Status
Not open for further replies.

SWickham

Wonders what all the fuss is about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandrawickham.com
Anyone attending?? I am really looking forward to it!

I just went to my first convention ever, VCON (Vancouver's Science Fiction, Fantasy and Gaming Convention) and I LOVED it. I could not believe how much information I gained from the authors on the panels. Patrick Rothfuss (The Name of the Wind) and Kelley Armstrong (Women of the Otherworld Series) were the Guest of Honor, plus other greats like Robert J Sawyer, Spider Robinson, Lynda Williams...but I am getting off topic, I just meant to say that it was great!

So now I'm VERY excited to be going to the World Fantasy 2008 convention in Calgary...but I am going by myself...anyone else going to be there?!!

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be there.

:)

-Michelle

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I went last year, and it was a frikkin' blast!

Alas, I will be unable to attend this year. Canada is just too far for this poor ducky's budget.

Last edited:

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Yay!!

Is it your first time attending or have you been before??

This will be my first time at World Fantasy (only attended local cons so far). Sounds like a fun con to attend.

-Michelle

SWickham

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandrawickham.com
I'll be there - did I meet you at VCon?
-Barbara

Possibly! I was in all the writing panels...especially the fantasy related ones, so lots of the ones with Patrick Rothfuss and Kelley Armstrong. Such a huge fan of both of them now!!

Have you been to the World Fantasy convention before?

This will be my first time at World Fantasy (only attended local cons so far). Sounds like a fun con to attend.

-Michelle

Ah great, another newbie!! Hooray!

Lots of people had great things to say about the World Fantasy Convention at VCON.

I saw a gentleman at VCON with a tote bag that said "World Fantasy Convention 2008, Calgary" etc...and I asked him, how do you have a bag already since it hasn't happened yet? Turns out he's the Chair for the event! He said that's the bag we get when we show up...full of books!!

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
I attend VCon pretty well every year, and used to attend Anglicon in Seattle. This will be my first World Fantasy. I'll be at Anticipation / Worldcon in Montreal next year, which will be the first time I've been at a Worldcon since, oh, Brighton in 1979.

I was at most of the writey panels too - it seems that VCon is acquiring a writerly slant, over the last couple of years. I was impressed with both Armstrong and Rothfuss - very nice people.

ETA: maybe we should have an AW meetup or room party at World Fantasy?

-Barbara

Last edited:

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Room party?

I recommend no. There will be some most hopping events already. Definitely attend the Tor Party.

I'll never forget turning around in the crowd and discovering myself thrust into conversation with L.E. Moddessit.

Greg Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gregoryawilson.com
I'll be there as well. I'm doing a reading from my book due out in June of next year--and besides, everyone tells me that World Fantasy is arguably the best place for networking for fantasy authors, so it would be worth the trip regardless. Anyone stopping by my reading would be most welcome! :)

Greg

SWickham

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandrawickham.com
I'll be there as well. I'm doing a reading from my book due out in June of next year--and besides, everyone tells me that World Fantasy is arguably the best place for networking for fantasy authors, so it would be worth the trip regardless. Anyone stopping by my reading would be most welcome! :)

Greg

Excellent!! Will you be sitting on any panels as well while you are there?

Status
Not open for further replies.