PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Lehane on NPR

muse64
10-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Did anybody listen to the author Dennis Lehane yesterday on NPR?

He wrote Mystic River among other books. It was turned into a film directed by Clint Eastwood. A film I have seen at least fifteen times at least. I find it to be absolutely stunning.

He was incredible during the interview. He talked about how his father was incredibly active in his trade union and Dennis said that he has always had a huge amount of dedication and respect for the working class and their attempts to organize.

He talked about how he never feels like the books he writes are very good because they always seem to fall far short of the idea/conception of a book in his mind. I thought that was a very interesting point for an aspiring writer to think about.

The work I am involved in right now is deeply engaged with class issues and he was totally outspoken about how critical that is in his writings and in how he thinks about the world.

It was a huge relief to find an artist talking directly about poverty, unions, classism, oppression and who also spoke out in defense of his anger and the understandable rage of those who are exploited.