just when I was getting bummed out...

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
I hit a lull in my new writing career and was starting to think this was something I couldn't pull off. A couple editors blew me off after saying they were interested, and a magazine that bought my first couple ideas wasn't responding to my new queries...

THEN, tada! I got an email to buy two of my pitches - and one of those pitches was sent out in July!

Now I just have to figure out the easiest way to compile a list of the top 20 zoos in the country for a sidebar. Ug!

Cindyh2k

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!! And, good luck with that sidebar!

Cindy

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
I hit a lull in my new writing career and was starting to think this was something I couldn't pull off. A couple editors blew me off after saying they were interested, and a magazine that bought my first couple ideas wasn't responding to my new queries...

THEN, tada! I got an email to buy two of my pitches - and one of those pitches was sent out in July!

Now I just have to figure out the easiest way to compile a list of the top 20 zoos in the country for a sidebar. Ug!

Super - congrats!!
Sounds like a fun article (judging by the sidebar).

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Bronx Zoo, San Diego Zoo - These are the two I know of. The Bronx Zoo is great. :)

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Check out the Columbus (OH) Zoo. Jack Hanna (former director) is very well known and respected in the zoo world.

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahtrachtenberg.com
Philadelphia has the oldest modern zoo in the country, and it's pretty good. I think it may be one of the biggest in America, too. (My hometown!)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Atlanta has had a zoo for all my life, though I don't know if it's in the "top 20." I don't recall seeing a zebra there, but I do know the zoo has had a striped history.

Oh, and congratulations on those sales!

Kat Frass

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!!

We absolutely love the Jacksonville Zoo (http://www.jaxzoo.org/) Big beautiful habitats for the animals... not those little tiny cages I remember from visiting zoos as a child.

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!! :) Don't know of any US zoos to speak of, but what a great idea to write about - delighted to see so many suggestions here already! :)

/If I ever do get to the US :)/

Of course I had to google up 'herpetarium' lol!! :)

Well, our zoo here in Slovenia has workshops for kids to 'get to know' snakes hands-on etc. I suppose others do too.. if one has especially good workshops that may be worth mentioning too? just a thought... depending on your target publication & their interests & the slant of the article...

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
The Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle is one of the oldest zoos on the West Coast and is one of the first to house their animals in bioclimatic zones (rainforest animals in a rainforest setting, etc.). The also have an amazing educational outreach program. Good luck with your list!

rljude

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!

You never know. Lurking in the piles of queries that have travelled through cyberspace and the ever-wonderful U.S. mail - there's a check with your name on it!

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
The San Francisco and San Diego zoos are supposed to be really good, but I haven't been to either in recent memory, I'm afraid.

I spent two full working days compiling a list of local businesses for a sidebar only to have it cut in the end, so I feel your pain.