Status
Not open for further replies.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Need help here, please. Something calling itself Java(TM) 2 Platform appeared on my tool bar. It comes with a way to hide the icon, it says on the most advanced of users should try to change it, much less get rid of it. Now right there it ticked me off.

What is it? More to the point do I need it? I have windows XP, dial up.

I think it is slowing the computer down.

I have no problem going in and deleting specific programs, I've done it before. all but one time it was fine.

thanks

Stlight

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Do I need it?

Maybe.

You can check if it's slowing your computer down by Windows Task Manager. I'd be surprised if it is, personally, unless you don't have much RAM memory. The Java Platform is a program which enables programs written in Java (not JavaScript: that's something else entirely) to run on your machine. Typically, this happens with web pages load mini-programs called applets. So if you're accessing web pages which use java applets, yes, you'll need the Java Platform. If you're running programs written in Java, possibly, if they haven't come with their own version of the JRE.

Last edited:

scribbler1382

Write For You, Edit For The Reader
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soderstrom.ca
Priene is dead on. And when it's running, it may slow your system somewhat (though that's arguable), but it only runs when it's launched, as Priene said, by a Java applet or application that needs it. So when you aren't running that type of app, you don't need it and it can be shut down.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
It might slow your connection if you connect to web-based applets, i.e. Java programs on websites, games and such. Like your browser, it has a cache that you should dump out regularly if it's not performing up to snuff. Go into Control Panel, double click Java, and click Cache, then Empty Files (I'm on my Mac at home, but I sometimes support Java for PC at work. SO I think that's the path).
Or just turn it off if you're not using it. Right click the icon on your taskbar to do that. To delete it or any program from your system, Control Panel -> Add or Remove.

It's useful for some fun stuff, although it can present problems with security. Firefox actually has an option to block it but I've never had a problem with it.

Calamity_Jones

Boomer's Disposable Minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
In case you want to stop websites running applications or applets without your permission, I highly recommend getting Firefox and this extension. It's brilliant and flawlessly effective. You can set up a white list of websites that you use regularly and trust, for example, I have websites like facebook, youtube, bbc, google, and, of course, Absolute Write in my list.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
NoScript rocks! The only annoying thing is it does block Flash, which I didn't know constituted a security threat. Guess you can't be too careful on them internets nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.