no fee YA young adult novel; Dec 31 deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie

I don't think I've posted this (have I?):

The Delacorte Press Contest for a First Young Adult Novel awards $1,500 in cash and a $7,500 advance to a full-length unpublished young adult novel. If you have a YA manuscript kicking around, enter the contest - there is no entry fee. Deadline is Dec 31.

More details at

www.randomhouse.com/kids/games/delacorte.html

lucyishome

I wanted to thank you for posting this. I started my 3rd book which just happens to be a young adult work of fiction. I have been putting of writing for the last three weeks just lack of motivation I guess. Anyway I read this post and got really excited. Even if I did not win I still have some motivation for getting this book done. Thanks so much.

Anne

:clap

Arisa81

I haven't read the full guidelines yet, but I immensly hope that my YA work will fit, although it probably won't because it is actually shorter than full length...it is a novella or novelette...whichever one I found out it was hehe...

:gone

Cyyschn

What does "contemporary setting" mean? Does this mean anything somewhat fantastical is unacceptable?

Thanks
Cyyschn

Stephanie

That's wonderful, Anne! Sometimes all we need is that spark to really get the fire going again, eh?

April - who knows? Maybe your book'll surprise you - and you'll need a whole series to complete the story.

Cyyschn, as "contemporary setting" just refers present time, I would think that you could weave in a fantastical situation (rather like the Harry Potter series--his home in suburban London; entering his magic world via the pillar in the tube). However, I would advise you to contact the editor directly if at all possible.

Best of luck, all!

Kida Adelyn

Arisa:
the guidlines say:
Manuscripts should be no shorter than 100 typewritten pages and no longer than 224 typewritten pages. Include a brief plot summary with your covering letter.
That means they don't really want a long book. Your's could probably fill it.

I think I might try for next years contest. They seem to have it every year.

Arisa81

Thanks for that !

I will have to take a look at mine and figure out just how long it is hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.