Um ... anyone watching the Dow?

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was great last week that the Dow held to over 10,000 after that 770-point drop and thought maybe the financial system could rebalance itself. Today, its set to drop another 700 points with closing in an hour, EST.

Stick your money in your mattresses - or hang in there and wait for better times. My 401K has seen nothing but parantheses the last 2 quarters.

Here's hoping we all write best-sellers .... that are then turned into block buster movies.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Wait till it hits 8000. that should be in about three days.

Richard

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's pretty freakin' scary for people like us, nearing retirement. Our nest egg has shrunk dramatically, and it's no longer a sure thing that it will be enough to see us both through a financially comfortable retirement. We were well-diversified, but when every type of investment takes a hit...

Maryn, depressed

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Sure wish it would all work out for those with investments in the stock market. Mr. Susie and I don't have that worry...

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
I heard on TV that all the fabulously rich are investing in hard gold, as in keeping blocks of gold in the bank instead of cash, because gold is up.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I heard on TV that all the fabulously rich are investing in hard gold, as in keeping blocks of gold in the bank instead of cash, because gold is up.

How lovely for them to have that option. <gag>

I won't be opening my 401(k) or IRA statements this quarter. I can't stomach the results.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
If this keeps up, we'll be back to using beads for money. Of course, then I'd be fabulously wealthy...

ETA: And I'm not even looking at my 401k, either. I'm pretty sure it's in negative numbers right now.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be nice if we could just trade beads and seashells?
What a wonderful world it would be... except people living along the shore would be richer than us inlanders.
Perhaps we could just trade indigenous rock. Shale, or something.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
looks like -369.88 on the Dow. 9955.50

Not nearly as bad as the -700 expected and recovered from the -800 it hit earlier today.

Still not good, but better than it could have been.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
looks like -369.88 on the Dow. 9955.50

Not nearly as bad as the -700 expected and recovered from the -800 it hit earlier today.

Still not good, but better than it could have been.

Hey, 45 points and it's up over 10,000. It could be a whole awful lot worse.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
yeah I saw that Stew.
Still things are so different now from 2004, when the Dow was last that low, because of this banking fiasco hitting globally.

I read an article today that no one really knows if the $700 billion bailout will be enough - these lenders and bankers used such skewed computer programs that nothing was reported accurately (this was contained in an article about the FBI investigating the bankers) which also said that it would be difficult to arrest these guys, because the trail is so tough to follow.

Sorry, mods, I just realized this thread should have been posted in the news and events forum.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
I had some stocks from a job back in 2000 that were doing well. Never took anything, just let it reinvest. When the statement came in I was down to 40 cent.

40 freaking cent.

There goes the ace in the hole I'd been hiding from myself.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
That's why we should diversify.

This has just been a very erratic market lately. Remember, the Dow is only made up of a handful of blue chip big companies. Even the NASDAQ (tech stocks)... there really is no immediate bad news or direct issues in those markets. So it's basically investors getting scared and jumpy... it doesn't mean it won't get worse -- fear and panic beget more fear and panic. Sell, sell, sell. The smart investors would use this time to research and buy at basement prices. For those who are investing for the long haul (IRAs, etc.) they will take a hit, but in 20 years it wouldn't make that much of a different. The sad part is for those who need to cash in soon (or near retirement). I feel really bad for them.

My 401(k), IRAs, etc. and investments took a few hits in the past (1999-2002, for example), but over time they're all doing very well. But remember, the DOW went from 8000 to 14000 (granted, there was a lot of irrational exuberance as well) in just a number of years. Fix the economy, and the rest will rebound.

Now, the talk of a depression... I'm no economist so I don't know, but the worries are there.... it's a broader issue than the stock market itself: jobs, housing, inflation, etc. When companies start closing shops and people start losing jobs in record numbers, then we really have something to worry about.

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
It's pretty freakin' scary for people like us, nearing retirement. Our nest egg has shrunk dramatically, and it's no longer a sure thing that it will be enough to see us both through a financially comfortable retirement. We were well-diversified, but when every type of investment takes a hit...

Maryn, depressed
Thank god we still have social security!

Right?

Hello?

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
If it means that I get to pay less than $3 a gallon for gas (and dropping daily), I say let it keep falling. Eventually, all the fear-mongering in the world will come to an end...

It's about time over-inflated stock prices were brought back into check anyway...

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
And maybe another thing will be that people will be able to afford houses when this is all over with. At any rate, something good will come of all this. This old world has weathered some pretty tough times before. We will get through this one, too.

And I will make back the $6,000 I lost on my old 401k in the three days it took me to get it rolled over. Don't know when, but I will.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if they can get back the severance packages the CEOs got when they left Lehman Brothers and reinvest those...

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Remember - money only has the value that people assign to it. What can you really do with gold besides fill teeth, make jewelry, or put it in electronic components?

If gold is worthless to me - it's still a bad investment. YMMV

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Well, according to MSNBC, European markets and the Nikki are up and stable today. They're thinking the Dow will regain at least some lost ground.

And I know what I could do with gold - make really pretty stuff. :)