PDA

View Full Version : Markets adding you to mailing list

veinglory
05-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Am I being over-sensitive in objecting to having my email address constantly added to mailinglists by markets I submit to or query?

It seems to me that my information should only be used for the purpose I provide it for? These days I am getting e-mail from markets almost daily, often large html formatted newsletters--but I hesitate to demand to be unsubscribed in case it annoys them. If they offer a simple unsunscribe method I am happy to use it (like 'reply with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject heading) but I would be happier still if they allowed me to 'opt in' to the newsletter rather than having to 'opt out' at all.

hmmm.

Maryn
05-02-2005, 04:35 PM
I have issues with this, too. It seems very like the cyber version of Jeff Herman using my SASE for a rejection slip--an eighth of a sheet of paper--and a s***load of brochures advertising his wares, with postage due. Not something you asked for, cluttering up your mailbox and getting in the way of the whole reason you have a mailbox.

I have a separate email account I use for writing business, and another I use for anything that I fear might get me junk (including some writing business). When anything arrives in either, I check its size--big stuff is deleted unopened. Messages to me are small and text-based, while advertising materials are large because of their graphics.

Still, I resent being added to anybody's mailing list. If it's a market you won't submit to again, you could also block them.

Maryn, knowing these are at best stopgap measures

captivatex
05-10-2005, 03:19 AM
I'm glad this was brought up.

At present, I only add names to a mailing list;

a) if they request it (I have two general newsmail lists for my website)

b) if they form part of a collective of authors - say of one of my anthologies - so that I can keep in touch with everyone with one email.

I had thought of adding to the general list those addresses that submit to the site or to contests, etc., because I feel I'd like to keep them informed about new information that, as authors, they could benefit from. Mind you, I myself would probably want the option of opting in, rather than having to opt out after finding out I was in. I don't as yet add addresses without consent.

There's advantages to being on a mailing list that sends you only the information you need, and not a whole load of crap or useless links promoting anything remotely linked to 'erotica'

If I were to ask this one question of you, would you mind being on a mailing list that does just send you information pertaining to you as an erotic author, even if you didn't initially opt in yourself?

hapsburg
05-10-2005, 08:42 AM
I find this happening across genres, not just from erotica markets. I would love if their mailng was to inform me of new sub guidelines or a new call for submissions, but they're always just peddling something. My take is this:

If the market rejected me then I don't want on their list because, if it is true that I am not the kind of writer they wish to work with or whose creative aspirations are not aligned to their own, then other authors and material they publish will probably not be of much interest to me. I know that sounds snippy, and there are exceptions, but I have limited time and have submitted to countless markets. I have to be selective in who gets my audience. Additionally, I take it from a business perspective, it is as if they are saying "we don't want to shop at your store but sure would like it if you stopped by our diner".

If they do publish me, then sure, I'm happy to get their mailings and read them thoroughly. In that case these are other authors whose work is similar to my own, whose creative work I stand to benefit from reading and being familiar with. Additionally, this has become a publisher whose business and success is now in my interest.

If their mailing bores me and is persistent I just block their address. I do have that lingering authorial paranoia that requesting to be unsubscibed will result in being blacklisted from them and everyone they know.

What REALLY irks me off is if they don't accept email subs or non-queried subs but they subscibe me to their email list without approval. Seems hypocritical to me, my time and inbox space is valuable too.

veinglory
05-10-2005, 12:10 PM
I'm glad this was brought up.
If I were to ask this one question of you, would you mind being on a mailing list that does just send you information pertaining to you as an erotic author, even if you didn't initially opt in yourself?

If it sent thing like calls for submissions I would be very happy to be added--it is the ones that treat me primarly as a customer that push my buttons, or any newsletter that is too large (html formatted) or too frequent (more than about once every 2 weeks).

captivatex
05-10-2005, 01:27 PM
If the market rejected me then I don't want on their list because, if it is true that I am not the kind of writer they wish to work with or whose creative aspirations are not aligned to their own, then other authors and material they publish will probably not be of much interest to me. I know that sounds snippy, and there are exceptions, but I have limited time and have submitted to countless markets.

I feel I need to come in on what you said here Hapsburg, because I've heard similar opinions from other writers - and I am primarily an erotic writer myself. Most often a rejection will occur for reasons other than them not liking your writing or it not being suitable for their markets. You have to consider the following, and I reject a lot on these facts;

a) The material is under or over specified word count.
b) The material doesn't conform to the guidelines, despite being wonderfully written.
c) The work is not edited properly (If I could give one piece of advice to any writers out there, please take the time to FULLY edit your work. As an editor, seeing obvious errors repeatedly through material is very off-putting. I know it's an urge to get the work submitted once it's complete, but time spent editing is invaluable to helping get accepted.
d) The material isn't submitted properly (Some authors send file types I don't state and find very difficult to work with, or it comes in custom formatting which really is a nightmare. It's why I always request 'plain text files' for e-submissions).
e) Despite being extremely well written, the material isn't quite what we need for a specific market listing.

I've rejected some great material, and I've told the author it's great, but I've also said why it was rejected. I honestly don't come across many authors who's 'style' I reject.

I'd keep an open mind about submitting and rejections. It isn't always cut and dried that a publisher doesn't like you. It's much more likely that your submitted material didn't quite fit what they were looking for, in one way or another.

It's often a difficult choice for publishers. There are many authors out there looking for a place for material they consider to be good enough to publish. It's just a matter of finding the right place for the right material.

Good luck with your work!

Maryn
05-10-2005, 07:11 PM
If it sent thing like calls for submissions I would be very happy to be added--it is the ones that treat me primarly as a customer that push my buttons, or any newsletter that is too large (html formatted) or too frequent (more than about once every 2 weeks).Excellent point. I don't want to be grouped with the customers and potential customers. However, if a publication to which I'd submitted put me on an email list which sent only materials of interest to authors who have submitted their work (accepted or not) and may submit again, I wouldn't be bothered by it.

I would want any such emailing to contain information authors can actually put to use to improve their chances of acceptance--revised guidelines, upcoming special-interest or themed issues/editions, anthologies, etc. I would not want to receive an emailing just because they send one every 2 months (or whatever).

Of course, I would want a quick opt-out that results in immediate removal.

Maryn, not submitting much lately