PDA

View Full Version : How Long for a Police Investigation?

dirtsider
10-06-2008, 05:02 PM
I have a scene where my two MC's work. The police were called in to deal with a woman who killed her boyfriend (the actual crime scene is further up the street) and wandered into the bar just before it opens.

How long before the police are finished there? (I'm sure the actual crime scene would take a lot longer.) They're just there to pick up the woman, confirm she's not injured herself, and then question the witnesses. I'm just wondering if it will take the entire day (doubtful since I have the place opening around 11-11:30 am) or just a couple hours.

I'm curious because I'm not sure if my MC's need to get back to work or if their shift will be done by the time the investigation's over. Again, the actual crime scene is further up the street and the police will still be there when my MC's get out.

RJK
10-06-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm not sure I have the whole picture in my mind, but if the homicide took place in a public area (on a sidewalk, alley, or street), they won't close it off for any longer than is necessary. They will photograph everything. search the area for evidence, collect it, get the body out of there and be on their way. Assuming all the technicians are on the scene, it could take anywhere from two to six hours. That would depend on how much evidence there is to collect.

If the crime scene is inside an establishment, it would depend on the specifics of the crime. A private residence may be sealed off for weeks, if there is no need for anyone to enter.

dirtsider
10-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks, that does give me some ideas. The actual murder doesn't take place in the bar. (That takes place in a private residence which I can now seal off and have my MC's look into it. Helps me put a little more action into it. Yay!)

But what I'm looking for is: what would they do when they're capturing the suspect? And how long would that take? Would they question the witnesses? I do have one of the detectives question the MC's about whether or not they heard anything. They heard some yelling but since it was further up the street, it was more just the sheer volume of the fight that caught their attention and the fact it was during the day. And that was because they were outside when they heard it.

RJK
10-06-2008, 06:56 PM
If your MC's witnessed the crime in any form (heard something, saw someone coming or going) the police will want to get a statement from them ASAP before their memories start to fade.
If the MC's just happen to be present when the arrest is made, they cops will get their names and addresses for possible follow-up later. Either way, the cops will ask them what they saw and heard. Do they know the victim, suspect, etc. The more they know, or admit they know, the more involved they will become.

dirtsider
10-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the help. This does clarify things nicely for me. This meshes nicely with what I have so far. So essentially, they wouldn't be held up too much where opening up for the day would be concerned as it's not the actual crime scene.

The MC's only heard some shouts from the arguement up the road but can't be sure if it was the suspect and victim. They were more concerned about the strange man lurking around their back alley. (Unrelated as far as they know at that point.) But they were the ones who called the police when the suspect wandered into the bar.