Pumpkin Pie: Food Of The Gods.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
It's 2:00 am and I woke up with a hankering for pumpkin pie. Luckily I'd made two earlier. No, I didn't eat both, just one slice. But, dayum, it was good.

Sometimes I love being pregnant. Every once in a while I can do something like this and get away with it. Yummers.

What's your favorite late night snack?

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
It took me until I was twenty or so (and baking pies) to figure out that what I actually loved was sweet potato pie, not pumpkin pie.

What? They look similar!

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Mmmmh pumpkin pie...

I made it once because I had never tried it and it's so easy to make and so delicious! I really want some now but I don't have any money to buy ingredients >_<

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I've never tried it but I make pumpkin soup - very basic but nicer for that. Sometimes I include a piece of sweet potato.

Sad story, though. For years I had jap pumpkins grow wild in the back paddock. Some years we had forty or fifty of them. But in the last few years they've not grown. I never use artificial fertilizer or pesticide so I don't know what happened. RIP (Retired Indigenous Pumpkin).

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
There's a local restaurant chain that has a fantastic pumpkin ice cream. Then, close to Christmas, they have eggnog ice cream. Yum!

I've been craving things pumpkin, too. I have a great recipe for crumble-top pumpkin muffins. I was thinking about making them next week. Great breakfast.

I love that I can eat whatever I want while pregnant and not gain a ton of weight. So our annual Fall Festival (www.nutclub.org) is this week and I get to pig out on all sorts of goodies. I'm at that point in pregnancy where I get all excited about food.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love pumpkin pie and after I was diagnosed with gluten allergies I wouldn't eat it any more than I found Gillian's GLuten free foods and what a good pumpkin pie they have. :D
It is so rare to find really good gluten gluten free food, but yeah for Gillian's

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Every birthday I have pumpkin pie for my birthday cake (complete with candles--have since I was a tyke). Any pie that can be consumed by hand in front of the TV, without a plate, is already near the top of the list. Add the spices of pumpkin pie and there isn't anything close enough to be worthy of second place.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
If there is one substance on the face of the earth I cannot abide by, it's pumpkin. I've never understood how anyone can eat that and watching how most people smother it in whipped cream, that sort of explains it.

However, one year we saw a recipe for pumpkin pie and my wife wanted to try it and to tell you the truth, it was pretty good, and even a pumpkin-phobe like me liked it.

Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I love this time of year. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin donuts, pumpkin custard, pumpkin waffles. . . .

You've inspired me to make pumpkin muffins this week.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
I wish I could be pregnant. You women have all the fun.

Wait...what'd I say? :Wha:

Hubby sure had fun getting me this way. :-D

There's a local restaurant chain that has a fantastic pumpkin ice cream. Then, close to Christmas, they have eggnog ice cream. Yum!

I've been craving things pumpkin, too. I have a great recipe for crumble-top pumpkin muffins. I was thinking about making them next week. Great breakfast.

I love that I can eat whatever I want while pregnant and not gain a ton of weight. So our annual Fall Festival (www.nutclub.org) is this week and I get to pig out on all sorts of goodies. I'm at that point in pregnancy where I get all excited about food.

I've had this pumpkin in the cupboard for weeks. I make pie crust, but needed new pans and kept forgetting to buy any. SO MIL got tired of my bitching and bought me some yesterday. So, no more craving! You and I are at that point of pregnancy where the baby needs to pack on some fat. I've lost 12 pounds with this one, but he's been growing fine. Now I get to pig out a little.

Wait, why isn't this in the foodie forum?

Because I knew sooner or later this would derail into something about making pumpkin liqour with granpa. I'll relate that later on...

I love pumpkin pie and after I was diagnosed with gluten allergies I wouldn't eat it any more than I found Gillian's GLuten free foods and what a good pumpkin pie they have. :D
It is so rare to find really good gluten gluten free food, but yeah for Gillian's

I have some gluten free recipes from a great site, www.frugalabundance.com the lady who runs it is Ms. Maggie from Hillbilly Housewife fame. It's all low cost recipes and menus. I try to use them because of the GF/CF diet for autism.

If there is one substance on the face of the earth I cannot abide by, it's pumpkin. I've never understood how anyone can eat that and watching how most people smother it in whipped cream, that sort of explains it.

However, one year we saw a recipe for pumpkin pie and my wife wanted to try it and to tell you the truth, it was pretty good, and even a pumpkin-phobe like me liked it.

Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie

Whipped cream is nasty. Ew. Yuck. I used to stay away from pumpkin until I had a pie done just right. More spices than sugar.

I love this time of year. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin donuts, pumpkin custard, pumpkin waffles. . . .

You've inspired me to make pumpkin muffins this week.

Yay! I like being an inspiration! Just drop off some of the things you mentioned and we're even.

I don't understand how you crazy Yanks can cook a pie with pumpkin in it and eat it as a sweet.
And pumpkin ice cream? *vomit*.

Try it, you might like it.

And, er, hun, I are not is a YANK. I know ya'll over on the other side of the puddle like to call us all that, but I'm a rebel (SE US.).

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
And also, ladies (and gents) pumpkin is good for the complexion - smear it on. And for that matter, butternut squash. honest injun.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Gods, I want pumpkin pie so bad now >_< Or just the pumpkin pie filling mix thing. I'll eat it right out of the can.

I've never had sweet potato pie, sounds odd to me. Like yams with marshmallow. WTF? o_O but I'd try it if someone would make them for me.

lostgirl

Always Watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisadovichi.com
I used to love pumpkin pie. but then I ran across a recipe for a pumpkin roll.. which is a giant ho-ho made from pumpkin cake and filled with cheesecake filling... after having played with the recipe and making it my own.. I can never go back to just pumpkin pie again.. :D

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I've had this pumpkin in the cupboard for weeks. I make pie crust, but needed new pans and kept forgetting to buy any. SO MIL got tired of my bitching and bought me some yesterday. So, no more craving! You and I are at that point of pregnancy where the baby needs to pack on some fat. I've lost 12 pounds with this one, but he's been growing fine. Now I get to pig out a little.

I was still negative four pounds this pregnancy three weeks ago. Or at least I was. I have a checkup tomorrow morning and I have a feeling I've gained some water weight.

Here is the recipe for the muffins I mentioned:

Crumble Top Pumpkin Muffins

They are a heavier type of muffin, but even my husband likes them, which is odd that he would like something that I like.

And pumpkin ice cream is delicious.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I don't understand how you crazy Yanks can cook a pie with pumpkin in it and eat it as a sweet.
And pumpkin ice cream? *vomit*.
Poor Jimmy. You have no idea what you're missing, do you?

Judg, who is Canadian and who loves pumpkin pie. And pumpkin cake. And who will almost certainly try TJ's pumpkin muffins.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I used to love pumpkin pie. but then I ran across a recipe for a pumpkin roll.. which is a giant ho-ho made from pumpkin cake and filled with cheesecake filling... after having played with the recipe and making it my own.. I can never go back to just pumpkin pie again.. :D
Recipe, please?