PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin Pie: Food Of The Gods.

SouthernFriedJulie
10-06-2008, 10:12 AM
It's 2:00 am and I woke up with a hankering for pumpkin pie. Luckily I'd made two earlier. No, I didn't eat both, just one slice. But, dayum, it was good.

Sometimes I love being pregnant. Every once in a while I can do something like this and get away with it. Yummers.

What's your favorite late night snack?

SPMiller
10-06-2008, 10:51 AM
It took me until I was twenty or so (and baking pies) to figure out that what I actually loved was sweet potato pie, not pumpkin pie.

What? They look similar!

Thump
10-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Mmmmh pumpkin pie...

I made it once because I had never tried it and it's so easy to make and so delicious! I really want some now but I don't have any money to buy ingredients >_<

Mumut
10-06-2008, 12:47 PM
I've never tried it but I make pumpkin soup - very basic but nicer for that. Sometimes I include a piece of sweet potato.

Sad story, though. For years I had jap pumpkins grow wild in the back paddock. Some years we had forty or fifty of them. But in the last few years they've not grown. I never use artificial fertilizer or pesticide so I don't know what happened. RIP (Retired Indigenous Pumpkin).

bluejester12
10-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Sometimes I love being pregnant. Every once in a while I can do something like this and get away with it. Yummers.

I wish I could be pregnant. You women have all the fun.

Wait...what'd I say? :Wha:

Inkdaub
10-06-2008, 12:53 PM
My favorite late night snack is probably granola. My idea of 'food of the gods' is massaman curry with shrimp from my favorite cart.

tjwriter
10-06-2008, 02:49 PM
There's a local restaurant chain that has a fantastic pumpkin ice cream. Then, close to Christmas, they have eggnog ice cream. Yum!

I've been craving things pumpkin, too. I have a great recipe for crumble-top pumpkin muffins. I was thinking about making them next week. Great breakfast.

I love that I can eat whatever I want while pregnant and not gain a ton of weight. So our annual Fall Festival (www.nutclub.org (http://www.nutclub.org)) is this week and I get to pig out on all sorts of goodies. I'm at that point in pregnancy where I get all excited about food.

L M Ashton
10-06-2008, 03:31 PM
What I love is that pumpkin is available year round here. Small pumpkins, sure, but that just makes it easier for me to get my fix since the hubby doesn't like pumpkin. :D

L M Ashton
10-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Wait, why isn't this in the foodie forum?

regdog
10-06-2008, 04:39 PM
I love pumpkin pie and after I was diagnosed with gluten allergies I wouldn't eat it any more than I found Gillian's GLuten free foods and what a good pumpkin pie they have. :D
It is so rare to find really good gluten gluten free food, but yeah for Gillian's

NeuroFizz
10-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Every birthday I have pumpkin pie for my birthday cake (complete with candles--have since I was a tyke). Any pie that can be consumed by hand in front of the TV, without a plate, is already near the top of the list. Add the spices of pumpkin pie and there isn't anything close enough to be worthy of second place.

Shadow_Ferret
10-06-2008, 05:44 PM
If there is one substance on the face of the earth I cannot abide by, it's pumpkin. I've never understood how anyone can eat that and watching how most people smother it in whipped cream, that sort of explains it.

However, one year we saw a recipe for pumpkin pie and my wife wanted to try it and to tell you the truth, it was pretty good, and even a pumpkin-phobe like me liked it.

Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/apple-butter-pumpkin-pie-recipe/index.html)

Bubastes
10-06-2008, 05:45 PM
I love this time of year. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin donuts, pumpkin custard, pumpkin waffles. . . .

You've inspired me to make pumpkin muffins this week.

JimmyB27
10-06-2008, 06:25 PM
I don't understand how you crazy Yanks can cook a pie with pumpkin in it and eat it as a sweet.
And pumpkin ice cream? *vomit*.

SouthernFriedJulie
10-06-2008, 06:49 PM
I wish I could be pregnant. You women have all the fun.

Wait...what'd I say? :Wha:

Hubby sure had fun getting me this way. :-D

There's a local restaurant chain that has a fantastic pumpkin ice cream. Then, close to Christmas, they have eggnog ice cream. Yum!

I've been craving things pumpkin, too. I have a great recipe for crumble-top pumpkin muffins. I was thinking about making them next week. Great breakfast.

I love that I can eat whatever I want while pregnant and not gain a ton of weight. So our annual Fall Festival (www.nutclub.org (http://www.nutclub.org)) is this week and I get to pig out on all sorts of goodies. I'm at that point in pregnancy where I get all excited about food.

I've had this pumpkin in the cupboard for weeks. I make pie crust, but needed new pans and kept forgetting to buy any. SO MIL got tired of my bitching and bought me some yesterday. So, no more craving! You and I are at that point of pregnancy where the baby needs to pack on some fat. I've lost 12 pounds with this one, but he's been growing fine. Now I get to pig out a little.

Wait, why isn't this in the foodie forum?

Because I knew sooner or later this would derail into something about making pumpkin liqour with granpa. I'll relate that later on...

I love pumpkin pie and after I was diagnosed with gluten allergies I wouldn't eat it any more than I found Gillian's GLuten free foods and what a good pumpkin pie they have. :D
It is so rare to find really good gluten gluten free food, but yeah for Gillian's

I have some gluten free recipes from a great site, www.frugalabundance.com (http://www.frugalabundance.com) the lady who runs it is Ms. Maggie from Hillbilly Housewife fame. It's all low cost recipes and menus. I try to use them because of the GF/CF diet for autism.

If there is one substance on the face of the earth I cannot abide by, it's pumpkin. I've never understood how anyone can eat that and watching how most people smother it in whipped cream, that sort of explains it.

However, one year we saw a recipe for pumpkin pie and my wife wanted to try it and to tell you the truth, it was pretty good, and even a pumpkin-phobe like me liked it.

Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/apple-butter-pumpkin-pie-recipe/index.html)

Whipped cream is nasty. Ew. Yuck. I used to stay away from pumpkin until I had a pie done just right. More spices than sugar.

I love this time of year. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin donuts, pumpkin custard, pumpkin waffles. . . .

You've inspired me to make pumpkin muffins this week.

Yay! I like being an inspiration! Just drop off some of the things you mentioned and we're even.

I don't understand how you crazy Yanks can cook a pie with pumpkin in it and eat it as a sweet.

Try it, you might like it.

And, er, hun, I are not is a YANK. I know ya'll over on the other side of the puddle like to call us all that, but I'm a rebel (SE US.).

Mela
10-06-2008, 07:02 PM
And also, ladies (and gents) pumpkin is good for the complexion - smear it on. And for that matter, butternut squash. honest injun.

Thump
10-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Gods, I want pumpkin pie so bad now >_< Or just the pumpkin pie filling mix thing. I'll eat it right out of the can.

I've never had sweet potato pie, sounds odd to me. Like yams with marshmallow. WTF? o_O but I'd try it if someone would make them for me.

lostgirl
10-06-2008, 09:27 PM
I used to love pumpkin pie. but then I ran across a recipe for a pumpkin roll.. which is a giant ho-ho made from pumpkin cake and filled with cheesecake filling... after having played with the recipe and making it my own.. I can never go back to just pumpkin pie again.. :D

tjwriter
10-07-2008, 05:09 AM
I've had this pumpkin in the cupboard for weeks. I make pie crust, but needed new pans and kept forgetting to buy any. SO MIL got tired of my bitching and bought me some yesterday. So, no more craving! You and I are at that point of pregnancy where the baby needs to pack on some fat. I've lost 12 pounds with this one, but he's been growing fine. Now I get to pig out a little.

I was still negative four pounds this pregnancy three weeks ago. Or at least I was. I have a checkup tomorrow morning and I have a feeling I've gained some water weight.

Here is the recipe for the muffins I mentioned:

Crumble Top Pumpkin Muffins (http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=32389)

They are a heavier type of muffin, but even my husband likes them, which is odd that he would like something that I like.

And pumpkin ice cream is delicious.

Judg
10-07-2008, 05:29 AM
Poor Jimmy. You have no idea what you're missing, do you?

Judg, who is Canadian and who loves pumpkin pie. And pumpkin cake. And who will almost certainly try TJ's pumpkin muffins.

L M Ashton
10-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Yep, not a Yank here either. I iz a Canuckian. :D

L M Ashton
10-07-2008, 05:36 AM
I used to love pumpkin pie. but then I ran across a recipe for a pumpkin roll.. which is a giant ho-ho made from pumpkin cake and filled with cheesecake filling... after having played with the recipe and making it my own.. I can never go back to just pumpkin pie again.. :D
Recipe, please?

Thump
10-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Recipe, please?

I second the request :)

Inkdaub
10-07-2008, 01:44 PM
A coworker's wife sent him in with some home made pumpkin bread one Christmas time a few years ago. That was some good stuff and I ate most of it without guilt...you snooze you lose.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Ooookay. Now it's time to move to the Foodie Forum. :)

lostgirl
10-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Recipe, please?

I second the request :)

You guys sure? Once you eat it you'll be addicted... :D

Let me write it out.. and I'll send it over...

Gravity
10-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Pumpkin pie is good, but sweet potato pie is better. Not too far from my work there's a small soul-food place that does a mean (and by that I mean GOOD) menu. My favorite meal there is barbequed pork tips with greens and black-eyed peas, topped off by a slice of sweet tater pie good enough to make you faint. Yowza!!

Dale Emery
10-08-2008, 12:51 AM
When my wife was in her teens her family spent time in Denmark. Her mother invited some Danish friends for dinner one Thanskgiving, and made a traditional Thanksgiving meal. The guests wrinkled their noses at the pumpkin pie, because they thought of pumpkin as "food for pigs."

Dale

Judg
10-08-2008, 12:58 AM
Corn too is considered pig food in Europe.

But they eat tripe. And brains. And all kinds of awful offal.

SouthernFriedJulie
10-08-2008, 04:24 AM
Corn too is considered pig food in Europe.

But they eat tripe. And brains. And all kinds of awful offal.

Sounds like the crap my great-granma used to try to feed me, rest her soul. Still gives me the heebies thinking about it. Yug.

And did you know cows love pumpkins? We had some break down a fence to get to a pile we'd picked. So, not just pig food. :-)

L M Ashton
10-08-2008, 04:49 AM
You guys sure? Once you eat it you'll be addicted... :D

Let me write it out.. and I'll send it over...
Addicted is fine by me and yep, I'm sure. :)

lostgirl
10-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Lostgirl's Addictive Pumpkin Cheesecake Ho-Ho

Ingredients:
Cake:
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin
1 tsp lemon juice
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt

Filling:
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
8 oz cream cheese (room temp)
5 tablespoons butter (room temp)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cake Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1.) Beat 3 eggs on high speed for five minutes, gradually beating in the sugar.
2.) Stir in pumpkin and lemon juice.
3.) In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt.
4.) Fold the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture. (be careful not to over mix).
5.) Line a 15x10x1 cookie sheet with parchment paper, creasing in the corners and sides. Coat parchment lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
6.) Pour in cake mixture, using a spatula to spread it in an even layer making sure to fill the corners.
7.) Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
8.) Turn out cake onto a damp towel that has been liberally sprinkled with powdered sugar and remove parchment paper.
9.) Starting at the narrow end, roll cake and towel together and let cool. I put mine in a the fridge.

Filling Directions:
1,) Put all the ingredients in a bowl and blend until smooth and creamy.

Finishing:
1.) When the cake is cool pull, it out of the fridge, and unroll it carefully.
2.) Spread the filling in an even layer on the cake just like you were frosting it.
3.) Reroll the cake without the towel.
4.) Wrap in freezer wrap. I'm particularly fond of press and seal freezer wrap.
5.) Let sit in freezer overnight. Pull out of freezer thirty minutes before eating and enjoy.

Note: After the initial freezing (I have no idea why it makes it taste better it just does) it doesn't have to be frozen again. Just keep it stored in the fridge until it's eaten up.

These are really a pain in the butt to make as they have so many steps.. so when I do them I make a lot of them.. I've got assembly line process. They can be stored in the freezer until you're ready to eat them.. make sure you use freezer wrap and then wrap in tin foil and they'll keep for a long time. I pulled one out 6 months later and it was still good.

I hope you guys enjoy! :D

wyntermoon
10-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Heeeeeey, I thought you had to get into Highlights to eat this! You lied to me! I'll forgive you if you send me some. ;)

lostgirl
10-19-2008, 07:15 PM
*snickering* I thought brownies were our bet??

wyntermoon
10-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Brownies...pumpkin rolls. I'm not picky.

Bubastes
10-19-2008, 07:25 PM
I indulged in ginger snaps and pumpkin butter last night.

lostgirl
10-19-2008, 07:36 PM
I like how you're always trying to change the wager on the bet.. :wag:

MeowGirl, pumpkin butter?

wyntermoon
10-19-2008, 07:44 PM
I like how you're always trying to change the wager on the bet.. :wag:

Oh ppffffttt. You're delusional, we included pumpkin rolls last year!

lostgirl
10-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Oh ppffffttt. You're delusional, we included pumpkin rolls last year!

Dear lord this bet has been going on a year????? One of us needs to win it already....

The problem with pumpkin rolls is they have to be kept cold.. makes it hard to ship.. but if I move to MA like I hope. then that will be more doable.. than being on the opposite coast.. :D

wyntermoon
10-19-2008, 07:47 PM
I'm up for a road trip! We'll grab SFJulie and have a pumpkin-fest. :D

Bubastes
10-19-2008, 07:54 PM

I saw it at Trader Joe's.

Stacia Kane
10-27-2008, 12:06 AM

That's what an English friend of ours said (well, without the namecalling and attractive vomiting noises), right before he took his first bite of pumpkin pie. The next thing he said was "Now I understand."

And he had thirds. :)

But, you know, if you'd rather be unimaginative, and decide people who enjoy foods you've never tried are "crazy"... You go ahead. Maybe one day you'll expand your horizons a little bit.

adtabb
10-27-2008, 12:19 AM
I made lactose free pumpkin pudding yesterday. It's pretty good, a bit too much cinnamon for me though!

I perfer my cinnamon on meat (it's original use).

I also made a gluten and lactose free cake smoothered in chocolate kisses icing.

stormie
10-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Just a thought: If you use that 100% pumpkin from the can, use a little less evaporated milk and slightly more seasonings when you make the pies. Tastes great!

MattW
10-28-2008, 11:57 PM
Have one regular pumpkin pie, one topped with some shredded coconut, and some leftover filling made in a souffle dish.

All three are calling to me now...