PDA

View Full Version : Euro Currency

Carmy
10-06-2008, 03:47 AM
I understand notes and coins are handled via the ECB or Eurosystem.

Are they all printed in the same place?

Do any of the notes show which Euro country released them into circulation? For example, notes introduced in France--are they marked in some way to denote they were issued there?

Ms Hollands
10-06-2008, 03:58 AM
Good question!

I only have a €100 note (woah, get me!) and a €20 note on me at the moment. I don't think they're country-specific. If it helps, I'm in France and the €20 note has a bridge on one side and some stained-glass church windows on the other side. It also has the following letters written on it:

BCE ECB EZB EKT EKP (with a copyright symbol before and '2002' after).

It also has a serial number:
U54227143292.

Maybe if someone else is in another European country, the can compare a €20 note.

The coins are definitely produced in each Euro-using country. Each coin has the name of the country where it was produced and a picture relevant to that country.

Carmy
10-06-2008, 04:18 AM
Many thanks, April. Congratulations on the €100. Have fun spending it.

I read on Wikipedia that they agreed not to use an existing bridge or building on the notes, and the images are copyright to the ECB. I wonder if the numbers on the notes point to the country of issue.

Not to worry, I just have to tweak the date to avoid the whole issue.

FennelGiraffe
10-06-2008, 04:18 AM
It took me about 30 seconds with Google to learn that the coins have a standard design on one side, but a country-specific design on the other. The notes have a standard design on both sides, but a small code letter indicates the bank that printed it, which basically means the country of origin.

Carmy
10-06-2008, 04:21 AM
Thanks FennelGiraffe. I guess your Google was better than mine.

Considering the safety measures they've taken, I'm changing the date on my novel to pre-Euro.