PDA

View Full Version : Pharmacy/Medicine/Drug question

RunawayScribe
10-05-2008, 10:52 PM
...Specifically, tranquilizers or sleep meds. If someone needed to drug something - say, a pot of coffee - with the intention of temporarily knocking out anyone who drank it, what kind of drug would it take to do so? How would it be mixed into the coffee? I currently have the mental image of grinding up sleeping pills and brewing them into the mixture, but I have no idea how accurate that is or if it's just flat-out ridiculous.

I know, it's bizarre, but people in real life give me questionable looks when I ask this sort of thing, and it's not the easiest information to find via Google.

Thanks in advance!

~RunawayScribe

Fenika
10-05-2008, 10:58 PM
If you google sedatives you might find more of what you are looking for (there is a difference between tranqs and sedatives)

Valium, aka Diazepam, is the most common sedative across medicine. Among other forms, it comes in a pill and I bet you wouldn't even need to grind it- just stick it in some warm fluid (coffee) and voila. Ofc, you need to worry about overdosing the person. A more accurate method would be to dissolve X pills in a CUP of coffee (I would not specify the number or strength of these pills if I were you)

That should get you started :)

Cheers

Fenika
10-05-2008, 11:00 PM
PS- it is possible to give a dose that makes someone very dosey but not fully out. They won't respond to anything but strong stimuli (pain, loud noises) and then only groggily.

Think booze ;)

joyce
10-05-2008, 11:00 PM
You could smash up something like valium or xanex and put it in something and it would work. There is also liquid forms of the drugs you could use. I'm not sure if they produce it anymore, but qualudes use to be a strong tranquilizer/sleeping medication. You could also use something like morphine or other painkillers. They would make a person sleep and you can also get that in liquid form.

My husband has taken one 5 mg. Xanex and fell out. I mean he was passed out for about six hours before stirring. The dogs barking and the T.V. blaring didn't seem to disturb him. If the person isn't use to taking drugs, it would work better than on a person who is use to taking them and has built up a tolerance.

Fenika
10-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Certain drug combos are also a good idea (key words- certain combos) They have an additive effect w/o (necessarily) adding the side effects together (reducing the chance of say, dropping dead).

I believe there are threads here about anesthesia, but some google fu would uncover more if anyone is interested. (Specifically the predrugs given before the gas anesthesia)

ColoradoGuy
10-06-2008, 02:36 AM
Lorazepam (Ativan) is closely related to Valium and comes as a liquid that could be put in coffee. A typical dose to snow an adult would be 4-5 mg. There are also a bunch of other threads in this forum about sedatives and hypnotics.

StephanieFox
10-06-2008, 03:13 AM
Of course, it's gonna be decaf, isn't it? You don't want someone to perk up before they nod off.

;)

Carmy
10-06-2008, 03:42 AM
Try herbal medicines. Easier to obtain without a prescription.

Smiling Ted
10-06-2008, 04:52 AM
Try herbal medicines. Easier to obtain without a prescription.

Herbs are unreliable.
Unlike prescription drugs, herbal dosages have not been established, the effectiveness of the herbs in question has often not been tested in double-blind studies, and the purity of what's available is not certified by the FDA.

While a particular formulation of...chamomile, say...might make you drowsy, there's no guarantee that the same herb would work the same way on someone else, or even that the same brand of pill has the same amount of chamomile in the next box.

That is not to say that prescription drugs are perfect; only that they have been studied longer and more rigorously, and their effects are more likely to be predictable.