Chariot races

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Deweycheatumnhowe won the third leg of the trotting Triple Crown, the Kentucky Futurity, yesterday.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing to know that there are a bunch of "Triple Crowns" that no one pays any attention to? I think the reason the American flat racing triple crown is so famous is that it is within a 5 week period and the hardest race is at the end, also that the horses are not fully mature and can be ruined by the race. Kudos to Dewey though. That's great. -- FYI, I think it is a Sulky, not a Chariot.

Last edited:

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's a sulky, not a chariot, but I thought chariot looked better in the thread title.
Dewey had to trot three races in a day to win the last leg.
Sadly, one of the harness triple winners died earlier this year but they still have two left, the trotter Glidemaster and the pacer Western Dreamer. Dreamer is at the Horse Park in Lexington, Ky and loves to have fans visit him.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, chariot looked more artistic. I was thinking of "Ben Hur" and wondered where in the U.S. they had chariot races. I like Horse racing too. Nutz about it, really. I write a lot about it, and am an equestrian artist too. My NaNo novel is about racing (won't need to think too deeply to find a plot).

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever painted any famous horses?
Does your NaNo novel feature any noted horses?

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever painted any famous horses?

My thing is painting the unsung heroes of the racing world at small tracks. The most famous horse I've painted is a son of "Go For Gin" (1994 KD winner)on a tiny simulcast track in Omaha. I don't do any paintings from photos on-line or anything. I have to go to the track myself and see them, and meet the horses myself.

Does your NaNo novel feature any noted horses?

Yes. Well, it happens in 1973--- The setting is Baltimore-- so there is a famous racing scene -- but it is mainly a story about a young man seeing his father for the last time (he was an officer killed in Vietnam, in the last year of the war). I think I know enough to fake it.

I figure since it has little chance of being published, I may as well do what I want.

Last edited:

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds neat.
Is the famous horse in your novel Secretariat?
Your novel sounds interesting.

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know yet what my final scene will be. I probably won't know until I'm nearly there.