Business Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

rljude

Registered
Reaction score
I am attending a writer's conference later in the month and plan to update my business cards before I attend. I hope to have the opportunity to do lots of networking.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what titles/terms to use on business cards? I have a full-time career and have been freelancing for a couple of years now. I have done some non-fiction as well as short story fiction writing and am also currently working on a novel.

Should I just put "Writer"?

Any thoughts or examples would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rosa

Bill Ward

billwardwriter.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.billwardwriter.com
I think terms like Freelance Fiction and Non-Fiction, or Copywriting will say more about what you do.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I tell the truth:

Cathy Clamp, ACP
Author, Freelance Writer, Speaker

It tells a person anything they need to know. If it's seen to be bragging, it's not. Anymore than "Web designer" or "Physical Therapist" is.

After all, if you don't TELL someone what/who you are, how will they know?:Shrug:

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
My advice is to put information that you know will not be changing anytime soon! I had a bunch of cards made up for a conference that had my book's publication date and title (along with my information). As soon as I met with my editor, she told me that my book had been pushed back and my pub date on my cards was incorrect.

I still have 200 of those buggers in a drawer. So. Static information only, I suggest. *g*

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Make sure the information is clear and printed in a font large enough to read.

Also, in case you weren't aware of it, www.vistaprint.com is an excellent and cheap place online where you can get businesscards. I've spent a lot of time making postcards, businesscards etc. And I really haven't found a cheaper more reliable company (man it sounds like I work for them or something . . . well the amount of time I spend ordering stuff from them I basically do I guess!).

I also do, however, make my own. This too is very easy and Avery is a great brand for printing your own business cards. You buy the style you like in your average business supplies store (I enjoy glossy on one side, matte on the other) and then you can download a template off their website based on the code on the package. I like doing cards this way because the information is always changing, and I don't want 1000 cards that suddenly all have the wrong email or whathaveyou.

Anyway, a couple of options for you!

Last edited:

rljude

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their feedback!

Nicholas Yong

Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget the back of the card - list your articles, books, other works:

Such as:

Have You Read?
and list what you've written... Great ice breaker.

Mayntz

Registered
Reaction score
Mine have my name, "Freelance Writer - Editor" plus address, telephone, email, and website. I actually got a stamp to add a description of the types of work I do, and that way I don't need to have that stamp on every card -- it all depends on whom I'm giving the card to (the stamp is specific to one newspaper I work with).

I don't actually put anything on the back -- those cards are more expensive, and if they're put into a Rolodex or other folder the back usually isn't visible anyway. Just my opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.