PDA

View Full Version : Kangaroo anyone?

truelyana
10-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Whilst in Portugal we visited my towns oldest restaurant, and we found it to be quite of a speciality. The hospitality was 5 stars, and the food was just as better, and even more. They serve quite a mix of food, from alligator, to deer and kangaroo. I had kangaroo on a kebab thing (think was made on charcoal/bbq) with slided round chips, and rice and it was delicious. The kangaroo meat had a perfume to it, and was quite sweet. I enjoyed it. :)

My partner had wild boar, ostrich, buffalo, deer and some other meat which was also delicious, though I think the kangaroo did it for me. They own about 5 other restaurants in the area, and they catch the meat where they can-even Australia and import it over. So, anyone else had kangaroo? Enjoy it? Even cook it at home? How do you cook it, if you do?

Judg
10-05-2008, 12:45 AM
Kangaroo? No, not yet, although apparently in Australia some politician or somebody is promoting it as an environmental thing. Kangaroos don't fart as much as cows and sheep.

Quit laughing. He was serious.

I have had buffalo and ostrich and shark and swordfish and octopus of various sorts and venison and duck and the requisite frog's legs...

Now that you've recommended it, I might try it if I ever see it on a menu.

Mumut
10-05-2008, 02:53 AM
I'd be careful with shark, Judg. High mercury content - the bite comes a lot later. I've tried to eat sulphur crested cockatoo when I was short of food on patrol in New Guinea. I couldn't chew it, it was so tough. There is a water bird - quite big, bright blue front and red above the beak. It's delicious. Green turkshead gastropods are also very nice. Like chewy prawns when cooked in the shell, in their own juice. Emu is also very nice but I've been told kangaroo is good health wise. And they are everywhere around here, so there's no problem with supply.

Mandy-Jane
10-05-2008, 03:49 AM
Apparently there are so many kangaroos over here, they're trying to promote them as the main source of red meat, to take the place of beef.

Personally - before I turned vegetarian - I ate kangaroo a couple of times. Didn't cook it myself; both times it was in a restaurant, and I have to say it was very nice. Different to beef; different to chicken. But very tasty.

Couldn't do it now though.

Judg
10-05-2008, 05:27 AM
Mumut, I'll keep that in mind, but it was a one-shot thing. I was homeschooling my kids at the time and teaching them about sea life. We ate a lot of interesting things.

Mac H.
10-05-2008, 05:44 AM
I eat Kangaroo as my main meat now.
like it.

Because it is so low in fat, it is best if you add plenty of olive oil to it before you cook it - otherwise it overcooks easily.

Mac

Mumut
10-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Mumut, I'll keep that in mind, but it was a one-shot thing. I was homeschooling my kids at the time and teaching them about sea life. We ate a lot of interesting things.

In the fish and chip shops here it's about the most common fish sold. In Queensland they call it flake.

But in Australia the main way of tasting exotic meat is to buy a meat pie, especially one of the mass produced ones. There is no stipulation it must be beef so you can get almost anything and almost any part of the beast.

When I lived in Darwin a popular counter lunch was skewers of buffalo fillet marinated overnight in port wine and ginger and cooked on the barbecue.

truelyana
10-05-2008, 01:44 PM
I eat Kangaroo as my main meat now.
like it.

Because it is so low in fat, it is best if you add plenty of olive oil to it before you cook it - otherwise it overcooks easily.

Mac

Sounds like a good tip. So kangaroo meat is better all round, you would say? There is a definetly a refined lighter and sweeter taste to it, different than other meats.

chevbrock
10-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Kangaroo is a lovely lean meat. It is best cooked as rare as you can handle it, as it gets a bit tough with over-cooking. I've heard it goes very well with beetroot.

I liked buffalo when I had it but can't get it with any ease where I am.

I tried crocodile, too - horrible, greasy chicken flavour.

MaryMumsy
10-06-2008, 08:52 AM
I've had kangaroo also, and found it quite nice. It was done on skewers. Not easily found here, though if you look around enough it's there. Wasn't impressed with buffalo. I would give crocodile a chance, just so I could say I had.

MM