Samhain's a comin'!

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
I know everybody celebrates holidays differently, and I'd be interested to hear how everyone celebrates Samhain, since it's coming up.

I'm the only Wiccan in my family, so celebrating with the family's out of the question, sadly. However, I have a family album that I'm always sure to flip through, remembering the loved ones I've lost and give thanks for having them with me once again on that special day. Also, I'm a real animal lover, and am always sure to leave past pets a little treat on the porch. Then, if I'm able to, I have a small circle with one of my friends (who I've been practicing with for a long time) to celebrate a bit more.

Start sharing!

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Personally I celebrate Einheriar more than Samhain. Cunningly it's also Remembrance Day when we have a two minute silence, so I like to think the whole country is being subtly converted :)

But I do A few little things, just for me. ( In our house religion is completely personal, so we observe in ourselves rather than outwardly) And the kids will be dressing up, bobbing apples etc. Ghost stories will be told.

Of course it comes so close to Guy Fawkes too, which is a BIG deal round here and enormous fun.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
No Halloween in Israel but the kids dress up in spring for Purim. I think it's rather neat being this close to Isis and Bastet's pied a terre :} If there's no rain my partner and I may go across the park to the gazebo for a midnight celebration, just us, the dog walkers and the stray cats, oh and cakes 'n ale stuff too.

Not a whole lot of pagans here that I know of but the reverence for certain places transcends named religions.

Going to the Dead Sea was familiar, and last time I was there was 5000 years ago--it was bigger. Masada on the edge of the Dead Sea is a holy site by the peace I felt there, despite the tragedy.

Last edited:

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
No Halloween in Israel but the kids dress up in spring for Purim. I think it's rather neat being this close to Isis and Bastet's pied a terre :} If there's no rain my partner and I may go across the park to the gazebo for a midnight celebration, just us, the dog walkers and the stray cats, oh and cakes 'n ale stuff too.

Not a whole lot of pagans here that I know of but he reverence for certain places transcends named religions.

Going to the Dead Sea was familiar, and last time I was there was 5000 years ago--it was bigger. Masada on the edge of the Dead Sea is a holy site by the peace I felt there, despite the tragedy.
I've never heard of Purim before. COuld you elaborate more?

I would love to go to the Dead Sea! So lucky!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
This will be the first Samhain that Mr. Vagabond and I have been able to spend together in several years. I am SO excited!! We may do nothing besides watch scary movies and hand out candy, but we never get to spend our favorite holiday together, so I'm really looking forward to it. I'm even working on the foyer - painting the staircase and clearing out stacked boxes, power tools and my son's amp - so that when the little kiddies knock on the door, we won't scare them to death with the situation that is our house!! Haha!

Deleted member 42

I'm increasingly impatient with attempts to label Halloween as "Satanic," and in so doing, writers almost inevitably point to Samain/Samhain as the celebration of the "Celtic death god."

I've compiled an FAQ about Samain as an ancient Irish thing, and blogged about it here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa! I read the first half and can't wait to get a project off my desk so I can read the rest. So interesting. Thanks, Lisa!