PDA

View Full Version : Which part of your WIP you find the easiest to write?

Edmontonian
10-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Hello everyone,

I am marching toward the middle of my WIP - a suspense story of secret agents and military raids of about 100 K - and I am at the point where I wish there were more hours in the day that I could write. Interesting enough, a few weeks earlier, I experienced some difficulties with certain areas of the plot, but once that was all figured out, it has been quite a nice ride.

What is your experience?

ED

geardrops
10-03-2008, 09:53 PM
The first bit.

All those possibilities lay before you and you haven't forcefully injected the "suck" into the work yet.

Sassee
10-04-2008, 01:14 AM
I always write faster during the action bits (and sometimes I do mean "action" if you know what I mean :e2brows:)

Deccydiva
10-04-2008, 01:43 AM
The beginning then the end. The middle part is painful as I'm trying to get from A to B without much of a map in the early stages. :Shrug:

redpbass
10-04-2008, 02:12 AM
The part just before actiony stuff happens. It can be a problem though...three days ago I discovered that I had written around four pages of stuff that happens in the ten minutes before an aerial battle.
Four pages of completely unnecessary and pointless stuff that could easily be replaced with a few paragraphs. Freaking inspiration striking me incorrectly, what's up with that?

Karen Duvall
10-04-2008, 02:22 AM
The last third of the book moves easiest and fastest for me because everything leading up to it magically fits together and I'm as anxious as the characters to see it through to the end!

Blondchen
10-04-2008, 02:39 AM
I write through dialogue lickety split. The more, the better. I struggle with the rest.

vixey
10-04-2008, 02:39 AM
I agree with Karen. It's the late middle to last part. The first is the slowest.

Ken
10-04-2008, 03:20 AM
all my books spring from mini-short stories, I've written. Out of every twenty I write, only one has the potential to be fleshed out into a book. So coming up with an initial story of the sort is the most difficult part of writing a novel for me.

mscelina
10-04-2008, 03:25 AM
"The End."

The rest is pretty agonizing.

vixey
10-04-2008, 03:35 AM
"The End."

:e2smack: Gave you an empty reppie, Celina. Sorry.

I meant it to say :roll:

Mad Queen
10-04-2008, 03:36 AM
"The End."

That's my answer too.

jennontheisland
10-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Backstory.

Then I have to convince myself it's not the first chapter.

The Lonely One
10-04-2008, 03:58 AM
It's tough to work through those lull points, mainly because I start to doubt myself and the direction my story is going. The "lull points" make me think: if I'm having trouble writing it, what will people think when they're reading it? I'll write it anyways, even if it's gobbledygook. Usually once I'm able to identify honestly what doesn't work I'll cut it without thinking twice and forget I ever wrote it (leaving sweet, sweet blank page). Then it's go time again.

Alpha Echo
10-04-2008, 05:31 AM
The beginning then the end. The middle part is painful as I'm trying to get from A to B without much of a map in the early stages. :Shrug:

I agree. It's the same for me. There's always a point somewhere in the middle where I know where I am and where I want to go, but I can't figure out how to get there.

Huh. Sounds like life. And I'm stuck smack dab in the middle right now.

C.bronco
10-04-2008, 05:34 AM
Everything but the query letter.
:D

kct webber
10-04-2008, 06:36 AM
The end is the easiest for me. It's at that point that I finally know everything and all I have to do is just tie it all together.

Redlioness
10-04-2008, 06:46 AM
I always start out like a "house on fire", and get lost somewhere in the middle. Perhaps my...(Let's see where the story takes me-plan) is not such a great idea.

My score card:
WIP-5
Completed works-0

jennifer75
10-04-2008, 06:55 AM
Funny thing is my entire WIP is "easy" it's a memoir - and I still can't get'er done!

LaurieD
10-04-2008, 07:20 AM
The middle is the easiest for me - alot of the time I start there, thinking it's the beginning and then end up adding to the beginning and before I know it, what was my beginning has become my middle.

The ending in my pictures books is the hardest, especially if I'm under a work count restriction, then my ending has a tendency to sound like it's been lopped off at the knees and then I have to go back and shorten my middle.

(Ok, I'm getting a weird visual of a head and shoulders/arms walking around on a pair of legs with a very little middle...)

Darzian
10-04-2008, 11:35 AM
The Middle is the slowest.

Beginning and End have been in my head for ages. I build up the middle as I go along, and so have to keep going back to make adjustments etc...

But it's fun!:partyguy:

triceretops
10-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Echo: The start and the finish are the easiest. When I first think of a project, I always envision the beginning and the end, and it usually never veers or changes from the original plane. Amazing. The middle is tough since I have to constantly maintain suspense and worsen everything for the MC. Notwithstanding, leaving a hook at the end of every chapter.

Tri

justme
10-04-2008, 04:53 PM
I love dialogue.

tehuti88
10-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Huh. I want to answer but I'm really not sure! It seems to depend on things.

I'd say the middle section, but closer toward the beginning/actual middle rather than the middle section closer to the end, is easiest. Because that (the early middle/middle middle section) is where I have the most leeway to write as I wish (I don't outline), I've already introduced the main plot and such, and I don't have to worry yet about every action of the characters' possibly mussing up the climax.

Right now I'm at the late middle of my current WIP and it is so frigging hard!! Because I have to work my way up to the climax, but I'm afraid of doing it all wrong.

AH! That then defines the point I find hardest. The part before the climax. Ugh! So complicated!

So everything else is easy compared to that. Even beginnings and endings and, to a lesser degree, the climax itself.