OpenOffice is killing my documents (on Asus EEE PC running Linux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my setup: OpenOffice Writer on an Asus EEE PC 2G with a 4G SDHC memory card in it. Just received it this week and this issue has been going on since I got it.

Here's my problem: I put some .doc files on my EEE (both by downloading them and putting them onto the memory card using another computer). I opened them and made changes and saved the changes (saving as a .doc). After shutting down and restarting the computer once or twice, the documents are coming up as blank. The error message either reads "Input/Output Error" or "Read Error." I have this problem whether I am saving to the EEE's own flash drive or to the memory card. So for instance, I write one more page on a sixty page document, save it with no problem, and the next time i turn on the comp and try to open the document, it's been reset to a one page black document.

I don't know much about linux. I did set the permissions for all the files to give read/write permission to everyone. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem? i got the EEE primarily to write, and obviously if i can't save text documents, the computer doesn't do much good for me.

ejket

Noobus Perpetuus
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, is your memory stick formatted as NTFS or FAT32? The latter is what you want for Linux.

You are shutting down properly and not just powering off, right? I don't know why it wouldn't save properly to the eee drive. As for permissions, you shouldn't need to change anything since you'd be saving to your own /home directory... at least you should be.

Just wondering, could you lose the .doc format and use OO's native odf? Does that give you the same problem?

scribbler1382

Write For You, Edit For The Reader
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soderstrom.ca
What happens when you take the "blank" documents to another computer and use something besides OpenOffice to open them?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
The permissions thing worries me a little, since I'm not sure you needed to do that, and I'm wondering whether you accidentally messed something up when you did that.

What happens when you try to create a new file (not editing an old one), type some stuff, save it, restart, and open that file? Try it with saving both as DOC and ODF file types.

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
Can somebody help me? I can't figure out how to correctly insert a header in OpenOffice. I can do the header and page numbers just fine, but I need to have them start on page two. I know how to do it in MS Word, but I can't find the way to do it on the OpenOffice program.
emoteHammer.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.