PDA

View Full Version : fried plantains

tiny
10-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Who's had them? I just had them for the first time. My SO bought a couple the other day and they were put in cupboard. He said he let them get too ripe. They didn't crisp up like the ones he had when he was in Peru, but I was amazed. He'd told me they were like french fries when done right. To me, and this may have been because they were ripe, they were like deep fat fried CAKE. Yummy.... and probably really bad for me. :D

Now I'm scouring the stores looking for plantains. The grocers here hardly carry them. Dang.

Haggis
10-03-2008, 09:19 PM
I love them, but I've never been able to prepare them right. I've heard something about having to cook them twice , but I dunno. Anyone have a good recipe?

escritora
10-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Fried ripe plantains (maduros) taste sweet. Some cultures eat maduros as a dessert.

I've heard something about having to cook them twice

To make "tostones" you have to cook them twice. Growing up we called tostones the Puerto Rican french fry. I say that tostones taste better than the reguluar fried plantain.

tiny
10-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Twice huh. I baked the left overs this morning (sadly I have no more) but they didn't crisp up like expected them to. Either way, I really like 'em

escritora
10-03-2008, 11:08 PM
You fry the plantain until golden brown, then you remove them from the pan, squish them and then return to the pan.

Can you tell I don't cook? There has to be a video or instructions somewhere on the internet. I'll go check.

Okay, I'm back.

Here's a video:

http://video.about.com/latinfood/Fried-Plantains.htm

ABekah
10-04-2008, 07:23 AM
I like fried plantains! I've never tried to make them at home, but the ones they have at churrascarias and Latin American restaurants are delicious!

maxmordon
10-04-2008, 08:02 AM
I have them three times a week. Grandma usually makes them with spaghetti or stake or black beans and rice (what we call here a Pabellón Criollo)

cooeedownunder
10-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Gee, never heard of them

Unique
10-04-2008, 05:45 PM
I like them baked even better. With butter and brown sugar ... mmmm.....

Know why else I like them?

They're easier to ship. Much more durable than regular bananas. :)

tiny
10-04-2008, 06:21 PM
I like them baked even better. With butter and brown sugar ... mmmm.....

Know why else I like them?

They're easier to ship. Much more durable than regular bananas. :)

Ooooo baked, like in a glass pan? Or on a cookie tray? That sounds really good.

maxmordon
10-04-2008, 11:07 PM
I have got them mashed, baked, boiled, fried, as chips, in a pie...

Thinking better about it, I am a bit tired of them

Perks
10-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Plantains fried with just a bit of sugar and then rolled in hot sauce is one of my alltime favorite foods. I had them just last night.

They have to be really ripe, though.

maxmordon
10-04-2008, 11:56 PM
I have just having lunch... guess what...

Spaghetti with fried plantains and stake

maxmordon
10-08-2008, 06:31 PM
There is a meal here called Patacón; it's like a sandwich, but instead of bread it has two mashed and fried plantains

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/86/Patacon_con_queso.JPG