King Khalid Military City

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about King Khalid Military City or "Emerald City" at Al Batin, Saudi Arabia? Or any of the facilities in Saudi Arabia where American families might have lived? I'm thinking our setting my next novel there when it was being constructed in the 1970s.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Not sure if this will help ... It's from when I was deployed to the Gulf in 1990.

One of the places I stayed in was called Eskan Village. It was a series of apartments that were built for the poor people of Saudi Arabia. Evidently, they refused to use them because they couldn't bring their camels with them. I remember thinking, "If this was for the poor people, I wonder what the rich got." It had been vacant for eight years when we moved in. The apartment we stayed in had something like four bedrooms, two bathrooms, and two balconies. The bathrooms had a toilet and a foot washer, which resembled a smaller toilet. It sat next to the toilet. Though the apartment was large, it was also rather cold (not temperature-wise). Entry ways to the apartments was also pretty large, compared to the ones in the United States.

I also stayed in a Wildlife Research Center (I think it was King Khalid's Wildlife Research Center). It was in the center of a city, and it was always a great thing to drive back into the center. On the way, there was this farmer's field growing the greenest crop--not sure what it was, but it was the only green I saw in the entire six months I was there. Everything was brown, tan, sand-colored, even the buildings.

I did stay in KKMC though I am unlikely to be helpful. I was in a tent, and we were in the middle of nowhere. It was flat sand, and no lights at night. I could see all the stars.