Registered
Reaction score
Website
CrustyPolemicist.blogspot.com

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Future Perfect 2009: Paines Plough call for new playwrights
At the heart of Paines Plough's work is the encouragement of new playwrights. For the fourth year running, the company has launched a nationwide call for submissions to find a select group of the most talented emerging playwrights. This prestigious attachment challenges playwrights at the earliest stages of their careers to explore their individual voices and develop their unique vision during a year of practical playwriting projects, supported by established writers and Paines Plough's artistic team. The programme will comprise workshops with established playwrights, lock-ins and practical projects, and culminate in the development of a full-length play. For more information, including how to enter, see www.painesplough.com/cms/index.php?id=98. Deadline is 10 November 2008.

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
The deadline was originally this coming Monday, but due to computer problems, they've extended it until the following Monday. So I was going to finish it off over the weekend, but now I have a bit of extra time, I'll probably drag it out all week!

So yeah, well nearly finished.

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
here's one for the US and beyond:

Babes With Blades - playwriting competition
Babes With Blades proudly announces JOINING SWORD & PEN 2009-10, a playwriting competition devoted to increasing the number of quality scripts featuring fighting roles for women, sponsored by SAFD Fight Master David Woolley.

The 2009-10 theme is "FILM NOIR" by Chicago artist Kristine Borcz (view at http://www.babeswithblades.org/competition.htm). BWB is soliciting scripts for production that are inspired by this image. In order for a script to qualify for the competition, the scene depicted in the image MUST APPEAR within the script.

The winning script will be produced in Spring 2010 as part of Babes With Blades' 2009-10 Season. The winning playwright will receive a $1000 cash prize.

SCRIPTS DUE: FEBRUARY 28, 2009

WINNER ANNOUNCED: APRIL 2, 2009

LOTS MORE INFO: http://www.babeswithblades.org/competition.htm

bison

Registered
Reaction score
MarkEsq...
Howdy to a fellow Texan, a TU grad. Loved Austin when I lived there.
I'm down the road in beautiful San Antonio now.
Do you haunt the local venues with your work?
I've sent a few to the folks up there. No results, yet, but, onward through the fog.
Hook 'em..

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
The King’s Cross Award for New Writing 2009
The Courtyard is delighted to announce that the 5th King’s Cross Award for New Writing was formally launched on 3rd November 2008, and entries will be accepted between now and the closing date, 1st May 2009.

The Award, which is open to writers of all levels of experience resident in the UK or Republic of Ireland, seeks imaginative, original work which explores the unique possibilities of writing for the stage.

Thanks largely to the commitment of the Courtyard’s Artistic director, June Abbott, to promoting new writing, the Award has grown since its inception in 2003 from a modest local contest with only 27 entries to one of Britain’s key national new writing competitions. In 2005, the Award received nearly 300 entries and this increased to 400 in 2007.

The Award is now biennial, rather than annual, and the winning playwright will be awarded with a full professional production by leading directors and designers at our new Courtyard Theatre in Hoxton. This superb state-of-the-art 150-seater venue with separate 80-seater studio and bar facilities is a cultural beacon and the main arts facility in this vibrant, metropolitan community.

Our Award panel in previous years has included such prestigious individuals as noted playwrights Debbie Isitt, Robin Soans and Mark Ravenhill, the National Theatre’s literary manager Jack Bradley, leading theatre critic Aleks Sierz, and Nick Quinn from top literary agents The Agency.

The Courtyard’s 2007 dramaturg, Melanie Branton says,“We want to bring the work of the top-class writers whom we are now attracting to the attention of more directors, writers and literary managers and offer a prize which will help them with their long-term career development.”

Several winning and shortlisted writers from previous years have gained a literary agent as a direct result of their involvement in the contest, and several of their plays have since been mounted in London and beyond. Additionally, a book of audition speeches, compiled from outstanding entries to previous years’ Awards, is currently being planned.

Entries may be sent, marked “King’s Cross Award 2009” and accompanied by a £6 entry fee (made payable to The Courtyard) and a large SAE for return of script, to:

THE COURTYARD THEATRE, BOWLING GREEN WALK, 40 PITFIELD STREET, LONDON, N1 6EU

Full rules and conditions and further details may be found on the Courtyard’s website, www.thecourtyard.org.uk.

Please note that telephone calls or enquiries regarding The Kings Cross New Writing Award 2009 will not be accepted.