Why don't agents say so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmontonian

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Recently I have received only rejections with the notorious phrase "we are not accepting new clients." Well, why don't they say so in their websites? Is this a trick they use to see if they can find a diamond in the slushpile or are they just being rude? I mean, I can handle a critique about my work, but making me feel like I don't know what I'm doing, that just low, very low.

Thanks,

ED

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, why does their lack of truthful advertising/good website upkeep make you feel like you don't know what to do? It's THEIR problem, certainly not yours.

Edmontonian

Registered
Reaction score
Because...

...it implies that I sent the submission to the wrong agency, since they are not adding new clients, besides the loss of time and money and hopes invested in each case.

ED

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It could be one of three things
1) They are looking for diamond in the rough
2) They have standard rejection form letters and that is the reason listed on the letter they sent
3) They haven't updated their website to say they are no longer taking submissions and clients

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
KO. I was honestly wondering since my reaction to such things is usually anger at the expense, loss of time and the unprofessionalism of whatever resources I used.

That said, the few agents I've heard speak on the matter say that they never advertise a full client list because they honestly don't know when their list might be changing. Clients decide to move, relationships fall apart all too quickly and often, so slamming the door shut on new submissions isn't good policy.

Sometimes I think this agent/selling thing is 80% luck, 15% timing and 5% having the right submission.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It's not like a gas station, where they update the sign every time the prices change. They might have just decided that their client list was full at that morning's meeting, for instance.

Or--and this is more likely--their client lists feel full in some areas, and not in other areas. They may not want any more fiction clients, but still be looking for non-fiction clients. Or they may want more fiction clients, but only in the areas of cozy mysteries and inspirational women's fiction.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
If you agonize over every form rejection locution, you're going to burn out fast. Let them go and move on. I seriously doubt that the assistant who stuffed your SASE was chuckling about how stupid that form letter was going to make you feel.

Easier said than done? You bet. There ain't no easy in this business, except maybe spending your royalty checks. One trip to Starbucks ought to wipe those out. ;)

Edmontonian

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you

I am already sipping on my coffee (not Starbucks, sorry, I still haven't gotten my first check) and getting ready to launch a new campaign of letters to both Canada and the U.S. The operation "Find the Agent" is ready :)

ED

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with what IceCreamEmpress said. I don't think it's so much that an agency is not accepting clients for any and all genres, as that they may not be seeking clients for a specific genre or two.

AnneAtWordHustler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.WordHustler.com
I also agree with IceCreamEmpress and Scope. I've gotten rejections as vague as "Not a fit for our agency" and as detailed as "Good spirit and wit, but not quite right for our current issue, try back next Spring." Throw it in the rejection bin/box/file/trash can and move on to the next. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.