If all books were banned and you could save one, what would it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
We've seen a lot of talk on banning books and censorship recently.

If something happened and all books were banned and you had the power to save one, what would it be?

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
The dictionary (assuming that counts).

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
My own, simply because there are photos of my dogs in it - and those of friends - which I don't have in any other medium any more.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
My own, simply because there are photos of my dogs in it - and those of friends - which I don't have in any other medium any more. The dogs are no longer alive, in many cases.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
I had in mind any favorites, what they are, and why you'd pick that one?

I've thought about it, and it would be a hard choice.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
The Bible.

You should read Farenheit 451 (or watch it) by Ray Bradbury. In it all books are banned and firemen set fire to them.

There's a colony of people, outlawed in a way, dedicated to memorizing a single book per person, establishing a living librarary.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
The Bible.

You should read Farenheit 451 (or watch it) by Ray Bradbury. In it all books are banned and firemen set fire to them.

There's a colony of people, outlawed in a way, dedicated to memorizing a single book per person, establishing a living librarary.

That's what got me to thinking about this question.

Edmontonian

Registered
Reaction score
The Bible

The Bible, the only book that can really save lives.

ED

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Would you care to post a reason for that choice?

For Ovid's Metamorphoses? Umm...because I like it. Do I need another reason?

It's a great piece of classical literature that's inspired many great works of art to follow it. Why should it die? Someone will save the Bible or the other great Judeo-Christian books. *shrug* No need to worry about them. But Ovid's Metamorphoses was a catalyst for inspiration throughout the centuries since it was first published in Rome and it should not lie burned at the bottom of an ashpile of intolerance.

Then again, Ovid was exiled and some of his work banned by the Emperor. I'm never beyond giving a nod to irony.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Mine. Then I'd sell the heck out of it.

Then again, it might be cool to be on a banned book list. You know, up there with Catcher in the Rye?

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Any epic tale - the Illiad, for example. I'm an English-speaker, so I would choose an epic that has been translated into my cultural reference.

It could jumpstart the urge to tell stories and an oral tradition could begin again. Farenheit 451 is a brilliant work, but I think we would come up with the oral tradition without it, so I would save an epic sample.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Brave New World, so we can see what we have become.

Richard

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Either The Collected Works of Shakespeare, or Ulysses, because one could reconstruct many other great works of literature from the homages/pastiches in them (for instance, the Odyssey!)

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Okay it's going to sound silly to some since you're all mentioning big important books like the Bible but the book I would save is my copy of a Reader's Digest collection called The World's Best Fairytales. Seriously, it's this specific copy because that's the book my dad read to my brother and I every night before we went to sleep when we were little. That's the book, those are the stories, out of which my love for literature arose. And I still love them. Yes I adore works by Ray Bradbury and Stephen King and Shakespeare's fantastic and a lot of other books have important and interesting things to say, but if I could just choose one it would be the first one, the one that's been read so much over the years it is literally starting to fall apart and which I want to have around to read to my own kids.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure NASA has a book on how to build a rocket ship. That'd be the one for me. Goodbye and don't look back!
C

Phot's Moll

Registered
Reaction score
Why just save one? I'd save thousands of them - I'd fill the spare room and the garage and the loft. I'd keep some in my desk at work, I'd wrap some in plastic and put them in the garden shed, I'd ask friends and family to help and I'd work to overthrow the ban. I'd copy as many as I could onto discs and save them too and I'd circulate them on the internet. If I could get hold of more books than I could save, I'd hand them to strangers in the hope that they'd want to save them too.

Basically, I will never accept a ban on books.

Status
Not open for further replies.