PDA

View Full Version : If all books were banned and you could save one, what would it be?

Keyboard Hound
10-02-2008, 08:05 PM
We've seen a lot of talk on banning books and censorship recently.

If something happened and all books were banned and you had the power to save one, what would it be?

Marian Perera
10-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Does the question refer specifically to published books or to books as in, the notebook of ideas and so on that I keep to help with writing?

If it’s the former, probably Fahrenheit 451.

Darzian
10-02-2008, 08:06 PM
The dictionary (assuming that counts).

Deccydiva
10-02-2008, 08:10 PM
My own, simply because there are photos of my dogs in it - and those of friends - which I don't have in any other medium any more.

Deccydiva
10-02-2008, 08:11 PM
My own, simply because there are photos of my dogs in it - and those of friends - which I don't have in any other medium any more. The dogs are no longer alive, in many cases.

Keyboard Hound
10-02-2008, 08:11 PM
I had in mind any favorites, what they are, and why you'd pick that one?

I've thought about it, and it would be a hard choice.

vixey
10-02-2008, 08:13 PM
The Bible.

You should read Farenheit 451 (or watch it) by Ray Bradbury. In it all books are banned and firemen set fire to them.

There's a colony of people, outlawed in a way, dedicated to memorizing a single book per person, establishing a living librarary.

Keyboard Hound
10-02-2008, 08:16 PM
The Bible.

You should read Farenheit 451 (or watch it) by Ray Bradbury. In it all books are banned and firemen set fire to them.

There's a colony of people, outlawed in a way, dedicated to memorizing a single book per person, establishing a living librarary.

That's what got me to thinking about this question.

mscelina
10-02-2008, 08:18 PM
The Anarchist's Cookbook.

I know how to deal with book banners. ;)

But seriously? Ovid's Metamorphoses.

aka eraser
10-02-2008, 08:20 PM
My own. Everybody who wanted to read something would have to buy it and I'd be filthy rich in no time!

Mwah-ha-haaa!

Keyboard Hound
10-02-2008, 08:20 PM
The Anarchist's Cookbook.

I know how to deal with book banners. ;)

But seriously? Ovid's Metamorphoses.

Would you care to post a reason for that choice?

Edmontonian
10-02-2008, 08:44 PM
The Bible, the only book that can really save lives.

ED

Jersey Chick
10-02-2008, 08:48 PM
The Tales of Edgar Allan Poe - he is still the master of the macabre

mscelina
10-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Would you care to post a reason for that choice?

For Ovid's Metamorphoses? Umm...because I like it. Do I need another reason?

It's a great piece of classical literature that's inspired many great works of art to follow it. Why should it die? Someone will save the Bible or the other great Judeo-Christian books. *shrug* No need to worry about them. But Ovid's Metamorphoses was a catalyst for inspiration throughout the centuries since it was first published in Rome and it should not lie burned at the bottom of an ashpile of intolerance.

Then again, Ovid was exiled and some of his work banned by the Emperor. I'm never beyond giving a nod to irony.

Williebee
10-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Mine. Then I'd sell the heck out of it.

Then again, it might be cool to be on a banned book list. You know, up there with Catcher in the Rye?

mscelina
10-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Man, that would take some doing williebee. *grin* But, if you figure out how to do it, I'll beta for you gladly. ;)

Kate Thornton
10-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Any epic tale - the Illiad, for example. I'm an English-speaker, so I would choose an epic that has been translated into my cultural reference.

It could jumpstart the urge to tell stories and an oral tradition could begin again. Farenheit 451 is a brilliant work, but I think we would come up with the oral tradition without it, so I would save an epic sample.

Seaclusion
10-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Brave New World, so we can see what we have become.

Richard

Red-Green
10-02-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm operating on the idea that I would be saving literally one book, hidden in a secret place, protected from the book-banners. In that situation, I'm saving my copy of The Riverside Shakespeare. No matter what mood you're in, always something to read in there.

IceCreamEmpress
10-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Either The Collected Works of Shakespeare, or Ulysses, because one could reconstruct many other great works of literature from the homages/pastiches in them (for instance, the Odyssey!)

escritora
10-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Like Water for Chocolate

virtue_summer
10-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Okay it's going to sound silly to some since you're all mentioning big important books like the Bible but the book I would save is my copy of a Reader's Digest collection called The World's Best Fairytales. Seriously, it's this specific copy because that's the book my dad read to my brother and I every night before we went to sleep when we were little. That's the book, those are the stories, out of which my love for literature arose. And I still love them. Yes I adore works by Ray Bradbury and Stephen King and Shakespeare's fantastic and a lot of other books have important and interesting things to say, but if I could just choose one it would be the first one, the one that's been read so much over the years it is literally starting to fall apart and which I want to have around to read to my own kids.

citymouse
10-02-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm sure NASA has a book on how to build a rocket ship. That'd be the one for me. Goodbye and don't look back!
C

Phot's Moll
10-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Why just save one? I'd save thousands of them - I'd fill the spare room and the garage and the loft. I'd keep some in my desk at work, I'd wrap some in plastic and put them in the garden shed, I'd ask friends and family to help and I'd work to overthrow the ban. I'd copy as many as I could onto discs and save them too and I'd circulate them on the internet. If I could get hold of more books than I could save, I'd hand them to strangers in the hope that they'd want to save them too.

Basically, I will never accept a ban on books.

Blake M. Petit
10-02-2008, 09:47 PM
The book I always read when I'm depressed: The Princess Bride.

Phaeal
10-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Just one? Are you nuts? My Honda Civic's going to scraping the pavement as I transport my library to the secret cave in which I'll wait out the madness.

Seriously, though. The people who would want to ban all books would be doing it to stifle free thought and consolidate power in themselves. They could cite political or social or religious reasons -- it wouldn't matter. Their true goal would be the same, to become the master parasites of the world.

We would then have to squash the parasites with our books. Hardcovers work best.

C.M. Daniels
10-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Fahrenheit 451. It's one of my favorite books ever.

DeleyanLee
10-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Hmmm. Honestly, I don't think I'd save any. I'm far too intrigued by what would blossom out of that kind of manure mentality in future generations. Any book saved would likely be made into some kind of sacred relic to be copied for generations and that's just basically wrong to me.

Bo Sullivan
10-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Fowler's Concise English Dictionary.

Red-Green
10-02-2008, 10:57 PM
That's why I'm saving my Riverside Shakespeare. You could do some serious injury with that beast. :D

We would then have to squash the parasites with our books. Hardcovers work best.

Don
10-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

In addition to being a fun read, it's a great book for fomenting a new revolution to bring back books. :)

Second choice, as mscelina pointed out: The Anarchist's Cookbook

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-02-2008, 11:22 PM
The Entire Mark Twain Collection (300+ Works)... if only for The Diaries of Adam and Eve (http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/lit/marktwain/ExtractsFromAdamsDiary/Chap1.html).

"For wheresoever she was, THERE was Eden."

It still brings tears to my eyes.

benbradley
10-03-2008, 12:58 AM
It would be a hard choice, but it would be among the not-so-popular books that that have contrary (but I feel very important) opinions to the mainstream. Likely the most popular book on my 'vice presidential candidate list' would be "The God Delusion" but with its popularity no doubt many others would save it too, so I'd have to strike it from the list and go with one of the less-popular and less-known books I've read and think are important enough to save.

Another popular one not mentioned so far, "1984" would be on my long list.

For a list of all the others from which I would choose, you may have to wait a while, though with a slight twist of the arm I could be convinced to start my memoir with the bibliography. :)

Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

In addition to being a fun read, it's a great book for fomenting a new revolution to bring back books. :)

Second choice, as mscelina pointed out: The Anarchist's Cookbook
Heinlein's "Farnham's Freehold" is also a good read about (among other things, of course) literally saving books for the future.

Kirby
10-03-2008, 02:21 AM
The Holy Bible

Unique
10-03-2008, 02:48 AM
My Webster's Unabridged. The big 40 pounder.

Norton
10-03-2008, 04:23 AM
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer Stone :):):):):)

Ken
10-03-2008, 04:36 AM
the entire Mark Twain collection.
I have my reasons ;-)

IceCreamEmpress
10-03-2008, 04:42 AM

There are billions of people in the world who would beg to differ with you on this matter. Your choice of the scripture that is sacred to you is praiseworthy; your dismissal of billions of other people's sacred scriptures is not appropriate here, in my opinion.

willfulone
10-03-2008, 04:43 AM
I do not have one specific ideal yet. But, thanks to all of you, I do have some new ideas on reading material that I have not thought to ingest previously.

Off to the library.....skipping and hummin' a tune!

Snowstorm
10-03-2008, 04:49 AM
Kill a Censor for Dummies. And if there wasn't a book in print then, I'd write it.

Zoombie
10-03-2008, 04:58 AM
I sorta liked the Anarchist's Cookbook. Viva la revolution!

Maybe Watchmen.

Shadow_Ferret
10-03-2008, 07:22 AM
My Globe Illustrated Shakespeare.

Eirin
10-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Successful Underground Printing And Distribution For Dummies.

Waddya mean, there's no such book?!

Exir
10-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Heh. How do you define what counts as a book? I mean, The Bible is not really one book, but a collection of volumes revealed at different times, right? Do collections count as one single book?

The book I would save is Exir's Complete Collection of Every Single Book Ever Published By Every Author. It will be huge, huge, with millions of super-thin pages, and tiny text that can only be read under an electron microscope.

Hehe :)

Nakhlasmoke
10-03-2008, 07:02 PM
The Bible. It's full of rape, murder, weird fantastical things, christ-figures (oh wait..)

Then again, I'd probably not live very long in a world where books were banned. That kind of world wouldn't tolerate anyone who was a dissident.

Lyra Jean
10-03-2008, 07:12 PM
There are billions of people in the world who would beg to differ with you on this matter. Your choice of the scripture that is sacred to you is praiseworthy; your dismissal of billions of other people's sacred scriptures is not appropriate here, in my opinion.

We're supposed to say why we chose a certain book. He believes that the Bible will save lives. I didn't say the Bible will save lives and other religious texts will send people to hell. Would you say the same thing if he said the Qu'ran instead of the Bible?

The Oxford English Dictionary. Well I own the Merriam-Webster's Dictionary so it would have to be that one.

Eirin
10-03-2008, 07:27 PM
I believe IceCreamEmpress's quibble was with Edmontonian's claim that the Bible is the only book that saves lives.
I think it's a disrespectful attitude myself.

Lyra Jean
10-03-2008, 07:36 PM
I believe IceCreamEmpress's quibble was with Edmontonian's claim that the Bible is the only book that saves lives.
I think it's a disrespectful attitude myself.

Oh, I missed that part. Sorry.

ABekah
10-03-2008, 08:17 PM
The Bible.

Kirby
10-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Heh. How do you define what counts as a book? I mean, The Bible is not really one book, but a collection of volumes revealed at different times, right? Do collections count as one single book?

The book I would save is Exir's Complete Collection of Every Single Book Ever Published By Every Author. It will be huge, huge, with millions of super-thin pages, and tiny text that can only be read under an electron microscope.

Hehe :)

They don't call it The Good Book for nothing! :)

Edmontonian
10-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Hi IceCreamEmpress,

Itís not my dismissal, itís Godís and I would be a liar and a sinner if I confessed otherwise.

Way too many people in this world decide to be wish-washy, standing up for nothing and accepting everything is the name of tolerance and all-inclusion. Well, that is their choice, but "as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" (Joshua 24:15).

Thanks,

ED

mscelina
10-03-2008, 08:38 PM
:Ssh:

:gone:

Mr Flibble
10-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Well if it's saving lives we're after, the Authorised Manual of St John's Ambulance, St Andrew's Ambulance and the British Red Cross might be more practical, and less...divisive.

But just one book? Mine :) Cos then I'd be the only author available! *cackles and tries to devise plan to get everyone else banned*

EriRae
10-03-2008, 09:11 PM

What she said.

Clair Dickson
10-03-2008, 09:11 PM
The Complete Works of Raymond Chandler. There's got to be a version with all his stuff! Or at least a collection that includes the Big Sleep and the Lady in the Lake. I could read his stuff over and over.

Bartholomew
10-04-2008, 03:12 AM
Given the situation that would cause all books to be banned, I believe I'd hide away a copy of "Steal This Book."

Exir
10-04-2008, 06:47 AM

Thank you. You've expressed how I feel exactly.

Bartholomew
10-04-2008, 09:51 AM
The Holy Bible

Which translation? Be careful--only one of them is correct.

Lyra Jean
10-04-2008, 09:53 AM
I was going to ask the same question. How can any of them be 100% correct unless you get it in the original language?

Trish
10-04-2008, 10:31 AM
I would save one of my favourite books called, Man Against Himself by Karl Menninger. Itís a great book, written by a psychiatrist years ago. It explains the reasons why we human beings sabotage our lives and why.

It explains why we insist on doing things that endanger our lives, like drinking, smoking, playing dangerous sports. And much more. It also explains why people commit suicide by their own efforts or slowly with drugs and alcohol.

I found it compelling. You canít order it in bookshops or libraries, but it is available on the internet. Itís a must read.

Trish.

Darzian
10-04-2008, 11:34 AM

:D

Phot's Moll
10-04-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure how The Bible saves any lives. I know people who believe it will help preserve their soul, but they still expect to die.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Let's all stay on the topic of saving one book and leave the religious debate to another forum, eh? Thank you.

Carry on.

Phot's Moll
10-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Sorry, I was just thinking aloud. I'll try and do it more quietly in future.

Are there as many people in the world as there are books? It'd be nice, if between us, we could save them all.

Exir
10-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Phot's Moll: I think there are MORE books than there are people.

Eirin
10-04-2008, 06:17 PM

Certainly are. What we'll need is a whopping big micro-file library stashed away somewhere secret (I hear Superman's got a place up around the North Pole). Then we could print out a really, really, really long book :D

This will work, folks.

Trish
10-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Well, parts of my books are on here. So they would have to burn computers too.

Darzian
10-04-2008, 06:49 PM

Oh, great- now the UN's going to impose a One-Book policy (like China's one child policy)- only one book per author!!!

I think I'll forge all my legal documents to change my name repeatedly (and possibly change countries repeatedly). I can't stand the thought of just writing one book!

fullbookjacket
10-04-2008, 06:54 PM
A basic mathematics book.

Now that would be a useful tool.

My next choice might be Carl Sagan's "The Demon-Haunted World."

donroc
10-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Strunk&White.

Stlight
10-04-2008, 11:09 PM
donroc if books were banned would Strunk&White be needed?

I'd save The The complete works of Lao Tzu - Tao Teh Ching & Hua Hu Ching translated by Master Ni, Hua-Ching

because of the poetry and the place I go when I read it.

Stlight

darrtwish
10-05-2008, 04:35 AM
For me it's a toss up between Twilight andBreaking Dawn both by Stephenie Meyer. I love those two books pretty much equally.

TsukiRyoko
10-05-2008, 10:08 AM
The Hobbit, because it never gets old for me

Bartholomew
10-05-2008, 10:11 AM

Fortunately, a good many of them are crap. (Who'd ever want to save a book on Tax Law, for instance?)

TsukiRyoko
10-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Oh! Or, a survival guide, because if I live in a world with no books, I'd better be in the middle of nowhere.

...Nah, I'd still pick The Hobbit.

Joe DePlumber
10-05-2008, 10:35 AM
The Entire Mark Twain Collection (300+ Works)... if only for The Diaries of Adam and Eve (http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/lit/marktwain/ExtractsFromAdamsDiary/Chap1.html).

"For wheresoever she was, THERE was Eden."

It still brings tears to my eyes.

here, here.... (or is it hear, hear?) Right on, exactly!

That was a touching line, for which Twain no doubt was referring to his wife, Livy.

cooeedownunder
10-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Lady's Chatterlys Lover

wuzupbling22
10-05-2008, 09:56 PM
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. That book changed my way of thinking forever.

Peachnuts
10-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Eat Pray Love

Keyboard Hound
10-06-2008, 07:05 AM
We're getting some really good suggestions here. It's enough to want to read for a year.

Lyxdeslic
05-15-2010, 11:23 PM

EDThen there's of course the flip side of that: the only book that can, and has, cost millions of people their lives.

Lyx

Cyia
05-15-2010, 11:26 PM
If books were banned, then Kindle would rule the world.

NewKidOldKid
05-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Eat Pray Love

It's so weird that the same book can be loved by some and hated by others. I think this is probably one of the worst books I've ever read. Bored the hell out of me as well.

Margarita Skies
05-15-2010, 11:34 PM

ED

Word. I would save the Bible too.

Medievalist
05-15-2010, 11:42 PM
If books were banned, then Kindle would rule the world.

No it wouldn't; Amazon has complete control over the contents of a Kindle; they can delete not only the books you've purchased from them, they can delete any file at all.

Medievalist
05-15-2010, 11:43 PM
I'd save the Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. I.

Lyra Jean
05-16-2010, 12:12 AM
I would have to save the "Little House on the Prairie" series along with Laura Ingalls Wilder's biography. I have an attachment to them both.

Stormhawk
05-16-2010, 12:56 AM
I would have to save the "Little House on the Prairie" series along with Laura Ingalls Wilder's biography. I have an attachment to them both.

Hee, I was staring at my collection on the shelf while reading this. :D It's lovely and cool today, I think I might just curl up and read them. ^_^

*stares more at shelf*

I think a collected volume of Narnia, as it would be a shame for that to be lost to the world.

PEBKAC
05-16-2010, 12:58 AM
The Animals Merry Christmas by Richard Scarry

It's my wife's book. We break it out for a couple of weeks around Christmas time and read stories from it to the kids before bedtime.

Snowstorm
05-16-2010, 01:21 AM

Amazing how a simple series has such an impact. Me three (at least. There may be more references up-thread).

aadams73
05-16-2010, 01:31 AM
After spending too much time staring into space thinking about this, I'm going to have to go with The Lord of The Rings.

In one volume, of course.

scarletpeaches
05-16-2010, 01:34 AM
It's so weird that the same book can be loved by some and hated by others. I think this is probably one of the worst books I've ever read. Bored the hell out of me as well.You got that right.

I'm finding it a lot easier to think of books I'd happily destroy utterly, and this is on my list.

scarletpeaches
05-16-2010, 01:44 AM
Although I have to add, Javier Bardem being in the fillum of the book makes it worth the ticket price, if only I can ignore Julia "Jungle pits" Roberts.

bettielee
05-16-2010, 08:54 AM
if AA's saving LOTR, I'll save Watership Down. :)

Xelebes
05-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Banned? Like where? In my province? In my country?

Meh, I wouldn't care which book I had, I'd travel across the border and read some books there.

scarletpeaches
05-16-2010, 09:13 AM
If LotR was the only book saved, I'd never read again.

WriteKnight
05-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Joseph Campbells "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" - for therein one can find the seeds of all stories.

Priene
05-16-2010, 09:50 AM
The New Oxford Book of English Verse.

Nivarion
05-16-2010, 09:55 AM
If all books but the one I saved were banned?

I'd save "Armaments and Explosives. A guide to overthrowing thought control and dictators."

:D just kidding of course.

I think I would save a book on how to play music, read sheet music and a large collection of our music.

Like for example, I'm listening to toccata and fugue in D minor by Bach. To think that no one would ever hear this beautiful piece again would be truly saddening.

ChaosTitan
05-16-2010, 05:13 PM
if AA's saving LOTR, I'll save Watership Down. :)

That was my answer. :D

Ken
05-16-2010, 05:20 PM
We've seen a lot of talk on banning books and censorship recently.

If something happened and all books were banned and you had the power to save one, what would it be?

... none. If the government saw fit to ban books then I'd obey the sanction. I wouldn't like it one bit, but the law is the law and you can just go breaking it. The way to handle a situation such as this would be to petition the government and lobby against such a ban. And I'd do just that, hopefully with some help ;-)

Lyra Jean
05-16-2010, 09:15 PM
... none. If the government saw fit to ban books then I'd obey the sanction. I wouldn't like it one bit, but the law is the law and you can just go breaking it. The way to handle a situation such as this would be to petition the government and lobby against such a ban. And I'd do just that, hopefully with some help ;-)

Civil disobedience.

Ton Lew Lepsnaci
05-16-2010, 09:30 PM
I'd try to smuggle in a work on the Enlightenment period to keep a rearview mirror on relevant history (if book banning is back in business) but if pressed, I'd save the best scientific record I could get my hands on. But heck if it turns out we can do without medicine, physics, chemistry etc., perhaps I'd take the Hitchhiker's guide after all :)

Lady Ice
05-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Complete Works of Shakespeare :D Then we've saved 38 books!

Cyia
05-16-2010, 09:36 PM
No it wouldn't; Amazon has complete control over the contents of a Kindle; they can delete not only the books you've purchased from them, they can delete any file at all.

nook?

Lady Ice
05-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Does the question refer specifically to published books or to books as in, the notebook of ideas and so on that I keep to help with writing?

If itís the former, probably Fahrenheit 451.

You could use it as evidence against book-banning.

Jamesaritchie
05-16-2010, 10:14 PM
I'd save my checkbook.

Chasing the Horizon
05-17-2010, 12:48 AM

If I'm living in a dystopia, I've gotta keep the best-ever work of dystopian fiction. ;)

MJ Goodnow
05-17-2010, 10:07 AM
I have to say since I am a sci fi writer but also a big fan of Frank Herbert: Dune

Gugland
05-17-2010, 11:57 AM
1001 Cookie Recipes

Kitty27
05-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Invisble Man By Ralph Ellison

Rhoda Nightingale
05-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Fahrenheit 451.

benbradley
05-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Radiotron Designer's Handbook, 4th Edition

Wayne K
05-17-2010, 07:41 PM
The Anarchists cookbook

Nivarion
05-18-2010, 08:17 AM

Honestly, I think that this would be the worst possible route with a government like this.

They've just taken away your right to knowledge. I doubt they'd acknowledge your right to peaceful protest.

And by this point they'd have taken away your right to arms guaranteed.

I think throwing brand new dictators off a tall structure might work best. Granted, that you can put your hands on them first.

Chasing the Horizon
05-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Honestly, I think that this would be the worst possible route with a government like this.

They've just taken away your right to knowledge. I doubt they'd acknowledge your right to peaceful protest.

And by this point they'd have taken away your right to arms guaranteed.

I think throwing brand new dictators off a tall structure might work best. Granted, that you can put your hands on them first.
I thought the point of this thread was just to name the book we think is most important.

If you're talking about what I'd actually do if they banned books, it involves a lot of shooting at government agents, bombing government buildings, and finally dying a martyr to the cause.

When they're banning books, the time for peaceful protests is long long LONG past.

fredXgeorge
05-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Devant
05-18-2010, 03:37 PM
The Anarchists cookbook

QFT. I am no pro of anarchism, but if we get a power that bans information at such drastic levels, you can't exactly have a talk and resolve the issue. The book thus will be a useful guide.

Fulk
05-19-2010, 02:38 AM
How about, "Books are Good: 1001 Reasons to Keep Reading and Writing Them" or better yet, "An Idiot's Guide to Logic and Reason"? :P Given the circumstances that would have to take place for books to be banned, I think having said book might be necessary.

In all seriousness, the recommendation of saving Fahrenheit 451 sounds like a good one. Though I would never allow such a thing to take place if I could help it.

Jamesaritchie
05-19-2010, 05:02 AM
... The way to handle a situation such as this would be to petition the government and lobby against such a ban. And I'd do just that, hopefully with some help ;-)

If you really believe this, you've had a remarkably easy life, and a distinct ignorance of history. And of many current governments.

Petitions and lobbying works only with a government of the people. Any government that has the power to ban books is not a government of the people, and doesn't care in the least what the people want.

The only thing petitions and lobbying would get you is, at best, a mock trial and a long imprisonment in an unpleasant dungeon.

Though you'd most likely just disappear and become worm food.

Ken
05-19-2010, 05:34 AM
... am no history guru to be sure, though I don't think I'm quite "ignorant" on the subject. And as to having a "remarkably easy life" I suppose I have to some extent being that I've lived in the States all my life where most rights and liberties are granted, unlike in other countries throughout the world like Iran where they are not. I haven't lived in any such places. Have you?

Insurrection is of course necessary at times when rights are restricted. But before such steps are taken other more peaceful means need to be exhausted first, as those I suggested up top. And if you turn to any revolutions throughout history you'll find that before the muskets began going off there were many peaceful appeals made to politicians who instituted the restrictions. Emissaries like Franklin were sent in person to England, for instance, before the American Revolution to get the King to ease up on the outrageous taxes and company leveled at colonists. The appeals and protests didn't always work of course. And they didn't always fail either. Protests waged by Martin Luther King and Gandhi exemplify that.

Insurrection is nothing to take lightly in short. It's got to be a last option. And the costs have to be weighed as well. And as to laws, the way of fixing one that is deemed unfair is not by breaking it as I said. Otherwise people would quickly lose their respect for laws, including those that are fair and sensibly put into effect.

Salis
05-19-2010, 05:34 AM
Twilight.

Sassy3421
05-20-2010, 03:42 AM
you mean besides that Bible?

BardSkye
05-20-2010, 07:43 AM
I'd have to flip a few coins to get my favourites down to just one.

Arrows of the Queen
Moreta
The Kraken Wakes
Earth Abides
Buy Jupiter

They're all old friends, read often enough I've worn out several copies.

artemis31386
05-23-2010, 06:23 AM
Do I have to choose just one?

I would definitely take Brave New World.
Then Stranger in a Strange Land

starryeyedkt
05-27-2010, 11:35 AM
'A Clockwork Orange'.
My favourite book + possible omen for things to come after books have been banned + major example of what happens when culture is lost = perfect book to save

gideonna
05-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Cloud Atlas

ebennet68
05-30-2010, 11:53 PM
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy but part of me wants to say I'd save my first completed manuscript, Persuasion.

Kalyke
05-31-2010, 06:32 PM
Black's Law Dictionary-- 9th edition (I'm practical)