Blind pianist?

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
A quick question, for a poem I am working on. Can someone who has no sight play the piano to concert standard? Assuming the person lost their sight as a young adult, not from birth?

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Ray Charles comes to mind, although that's a different kind of music. I'm sure there are many others.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Yes, of course. Sight is never an impediment to playing most instruments. I mean, most of the musicians I know close their eyes when playing a song they really like.

Drumming, though, that might prove a little more tricky, but yeah, that can be done too. Piano? Definitely.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I thought it was possible but wanted to be 100% sure.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, there's a lot of history there. Interesting.

Kryianna

Registered
Reaction score
Not only to blind people play piano, but I know at least two blind piano tuners.:)

I was absolutely amazed as a child when we had our piano tuned. The gentleman had his wife drive him, since he was blind since birth. Watching him tune the piano and the antique pump organ was extraordinary.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Piano tuning was a skill that used to be taught in schools for the blind, as it was a decently-paying career where keen hearing and a good sense of touch were (and still are) much more important than sight.

This story astonished me. George Shearing was an incredible and famous pianist who was blind, also: you can watch and hear him on YouTube.

Last edited: