PDA

View Full Version : Too Many WIPs?

MRevelle83
10-02-2008, 09:21 AM
I want to know who else, and how badly, suffer from the same ailment as I- the constant coming up with new ideas for novels. Of course, this also includes the obsessive love of old ideas to where you will never let them go.

And thus, my predicament- I simply have too many novels I want to write. I've started them all to an extent as well as outlining them, but of course I only work on one at a time (I'm not God, thank you very much).

I just have this urge to develop and research several ideas at any given time. Of course, there are reasons why I start with a particular novel- in one WIP the character is Cajun and I am not (French Canadian I am, so a shared history anyway) so there is research. Another couple (gasp!) fantasy WIPs are just being planned now.

Last time I checked, I had notes for... a hell of a lot. Maybe 7 novels? Yep.

Anyone else bogged down by too much love for too many stories?

kct webber
10-02-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm currently working on 3 novels with a few short stories thrown in here and there. That's about my limit. I get a lot more ideas than that at a time.

I keep an 'idea box'. It sits in the closet of my office. Every time I get a new idea, I jot it down and put it in there. I don't work on it until I'm finish a current project. Then I'll start submitting the finished one and replace it with one from the idea box. The idea box grows more quickly than I can empty it, but that's just the way it goes. Still, it works for me.

Virector
10-02-2008, 09:51 AM
:e2bummed: I have that same problem-- I'm always struck by several story ideas and characters at the same time, sending my thoughts running all over the place; the outcome? I never manage to get anything done. I try to develop everything at the same time because it's not very often that I get 'inspired' and I never want to put off one idea in favor of another because every time I do that, all the other ideas seem to fizzle out on me. Frustrating! Sometimes it just feels so overwhelming... I wish I was more focused-- that would solve a lot more than just my writing problems. *sigh*

MRevelle83
10-02-2008, 10:14 AM
:e2bummed: I have that same problem-- I'm always struck by several story ideas and characters at the same time, sending my thoughts running all over the place; the outcome? I never manage to get anything done. I try to develop everything at the same time because it's not very often that I get 'inspired' and I never want to put off one idea in favor of another because every time I do that, all the other ideas seem to fizzle out on me. Frustrating! Sometimes it just feels so overwhelming... I wish I was more focused-- that would solve a lot more than just my writing problems. *sigh*

I know that feeling. I would have had one of these 7 books at least done with a first draft by now if I was too more focused.

My only saving grace for sanity is that the ideas don't fizzle out. Many authors write their novels and lock them away for a year or so before they edit it- I sort of do this with ideas. I research topics for a story and let the facts soak in for a while before I start to write. Like I mentioned one WIP has a Cajun MC. I've read alot about Cajuns in the past year or so. I'm getting used to what I learned about their culture and familiarize myself with it for when it becomes my prime WIP.

Until then, I write a different story that I am done with, or don't need to, researching. Right now I am working on a novel that I have gathered info from back in 2004. In this time it has only gotten me to wanting to write it more. The only problem is that I've changed the MC's vocation. Whoops.

Michael Davis
10-02-2008, 05:15 PM
I started my writing career with nine plot ideas I had accumulated over thirty years before I retired from supporting the military. I now have 3 published or contracted, am collaborating on one of those ideas with another author, and have a fifth I try to work on when I'm not busy (g). I've since come up with three new ones so about seven storylines are always hovering in my head. My problem is not the ideas, its the energy to keep my muse charged up. I find it harder and harder to get myself in front of a screen and write. I'm currently 90% complete on a novel and have not been able to force myself into the seat to finish it up. Sure I will, but it is becoming harder.

tehuti88
10-03-2008, 12:32 AM
I've got way more things than I can ever keep track of going on, BUT, the thing is, most are on the back burner for quite a long time while I focus on things that I actually know I can finish in a decent amount of time.

For example I have this occult/drama series that I keep coming up with new ideas for, so it's like thirty books long so far, and only three are written, and they need to be rewritten by now. :o Ah well. I tell myself someday--someday!

If this current storyline I keep coming up with and writing sequels for will ever die down.

Though I'm hoping it doesn't.

Someday!

Ugawa
10-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Nope just one. I have idea's for other novels, but they'll stay in my head until i'm finished with this one.

XX

Chasing the Horizon
10-03-2008, 08:02 AM
I've always got lots of books going. I never limit myself to working on one at a time. Often I'll work on one today, a different one tomorrow, etc. (Not that it's in any way planned, I sometimes work on the same book for weeks). I've always worked this way and have already finished two novels and have two more almost finished (things happened to have worked out that I'll finish two at almost the same time). Obviously, it works for me.

Even with how I work, I have more ideas than time to write. Luckily there's always a few (3-6) ideas that really stick out as excellent, so I work on those. The less excellent ones might never get written.

MrWrite
10-03-2008, 08:12 AM
So far I have one story I am working on, one ready to work on and one that I will work on one year!

HourglassMemory
10-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Something I try to do when I get an idea is "How can I introduce this scene(it's usually a scene that appears in my mind) into the stories that I already have?"
I only put an idea aside, to create a story by itself, when I see that it doesn't fit in any of the others.
I've have many tens of ideas, and I have about 10 major stories that I would like to work on in the future. I currently hop around 3 major ones, the ones that are more developed and robust.
Even so I work on them only when I'm inspired or take the time to get into the flow of the story, which hasn't been often lately.

Oh well. I won't working on them though. the ideas are just too good and original to let go or put aside.

Straka
10-03-2008, 04:46 PM
I have ideas for about 7 novels, but I'm only seriously working on 3. The others I make notes for when I have ideas, but they aren't fully realized yet.

Kryianna
10-05-2008, 05:52 AM
I have a notebook that's full of ideas. There's a few that are fully fleshed out, but most are just the bare bones of a plot or a character. When I'm in a mood to write, I'll go through there and see if any catch my interest.

Bubastes
10-05-2008, 05:54 AM
I have tons of story ideas, but I write them on index cards to get them out of my head, throw them in a box, and get back to my WIP. I never work on more than two WIPs (one long, one short) at any given time.

cooeedownunder
10-05-2008, 03:35 PM
I think most writers think that way to some degree. But something happens at some stage, and one of those ideas takes over and dominates the others. Thats my experience, and now I'm left wondering what idea will take over the others this time.

darrtwish
10-05-2008, 07:04 PM
I have the same problem. I have between 5-7 novels started to some degree...none of them are finished. I usually get to the 20 page mark and lose inspiration to work on them...but I know I must finish them, so they sit in my filing cabinet waiting for me to return to them.

chevbrock
10-06-2008, 06:53 AM
There are writers on this forum who have trouble finding ideas, so I consider the fact that I have three novels on my computer as well as an outline waiting, and a book of ideas (some good, some crap) as a blessing.

LaurieD
10-06-2008, 06:59 AM
I keep a list of ideas - lines, titles, whole scenes, and everything in between.

I currently have 1 stalled WIP, 2 novel WIPs, and 2 or 3 picture books/short story WIPs