PDA

View Full Version : Fiction Wanted: Firefox News (99% of Adsense Revenue.)

Leva
10-02-2008, 08:11 AM
I am opening up Firefox News to all genres of fiction -- and there is no upper limit to the number of stories meeting our standard that I can accept.

The pay is 99% of Adsense (to your own Adsense account), which is measly, I know. However, the site does have established traffic (currently the median is around 5,000 to 6,000 unique visitors a day, with spikes well above that), quite a few writers already working on the site, and a writer-friendly TOS.

In brief, you may submit reprints. You may delete your stories at any time, for any reason, no questions asked. You may also use your bio on the site to promote your books or personal blog or web site. (Note: no links to books printed by Publish America or any other publisher not in good standing with the writing community).

Criteria for acceptance will, generally speaking, be:

1) Stories must be have a minimum of spelling and grammar errors. We will fix the occasional typo; more than a few problems will cause us to reject the story.

2) Stories must have a beginning, middle, and end, and be complete. And they must not make us go, "WTF? This makes no sense!" when we read them.

3) Stories must be PG-13 or less, which means sex scenes need to fade to black and gruesome shocking violence needs to be kept to a minimum.

4) No fanfiction. (And if you just changed the names of the Star Trek/LOTR/Harry Potter characters and tried to pass a story written in that universe off as your own, we'll probably notice. *grin*)

5) Nothing that will make our advertisers run away in shock, or which makes the site editorial staff go, "Ewww!"

6) We will not accept anything of an overtly religious nature.

However, when we say 'submit any genre' we mean it. We're looking for everything from fluffy romances to hard core science fiction; anything from westerns to werewolves.

Our response time should be quick. (My goal is same-week response, but I do NOT guarantee this.) Also, once you have one story accepted you will have access to submit future stories to a pending queue that puts you ahead of the slush pile.

To submit a story, paste it into the body of an e-mail or attach it as an .rtf and send it to firefox.fiction@gmail.com. Do NOT send Microsoft Doc files.

If you have any questions, post 'em here or e-mail leva@firefox.org and I'll be happy to answer as quickly as I can.

You can see past stories we've accepted here:

http://firefox.org/news/categories/Original-Fiction/

(Note: Kara Jackson's story is an April Fool's day story and not generally representative of our usual quality.)

-- Leva

DarkDesireX
10-06-2008, 12:24 AM
I've been working with FireFox for a few weeks already and I have to tell you guys, Leva is fantastic. She gets back to you swiftly and she's helpful. I have the feeling of being very taken care of with her.

JeanneTGC
10-06-2008, 01:49 AM
Leva, are you taking humor/humorous essays as well, or does it need to be straight fiction?

Leva
10-06-2008, 08:08 AM
DarkDesire -- glad you're happy. *grin*

Jeanne -- I will be taking fannish meta very shortly. Humor essays -- sometimes, depends on the topic. Go ahead and submit it.

(Sorry for the brief delay in getting back to people who've made some submissions. I will be sending out some approvals shortly.)

Ms Hollands
10-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Also, is there any approximate length stories should be? I'm sure you've specified it somewhere, but my eyes are having one of those days of not being very observant.

Leva
10-06-2008, 09:14 PM
April -- I'm taking any length as long as there's a clear beginning, middle, and end. However, novellas & novels will likely be serialized with a new scene appearing every day. Serialized stories will also have their own RSS feed.

The goal is to build a fairly large collection of quality fiction, sorted by category and length. As long as stories meet our quality standards, they'll be accepted. :-)

Phot's Moll
10-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Sounds very interesting.

Can you explain the Adsense thing to me? I assume it means that adverts will appear by the stories and the advertisers pay for this facility?

I don't have an Adsense account (you probably gathered that from my previous question) and I'm in the UK - does this matter?

padnar
10-07-2008, 05:00 PM
I think adsense refers to the number of clicks your story or article
receives. This is my undertanding ,as I receive payment from Ground Report
for a long time in this manner.
Padma

Phot's Moll
10-07-2008, 05:20 PM
So the more people who read it, the more money the writer earns?

veinglory
10-07-2008, 05:21 PM
I would assume the reference is to 99% of what the adsense advertisements earn. These ads earn a few cents every time someone clicks on them (the actual ad, not just the page it is on). My experience is that adsense only really pays out well once the site the actual ad is on becomes high traffic.

caseyquinn
10-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Adsense as a form of payment will generate you very little unless you commit a large amount of time to it. On sites like ehow or associatedcontent to make money via adverts you need to have upwards of 100 articles of about 400 words each to earn monthly income from ads. Its worth it if you have the time as then it becomes reoccuring income and you do nothing but takes alot of upfront time and work to get loaded up with content. It also works best if you write SEO friendly content

Leva
10-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Adsense is Google's ad program. It pays largely based on the number of clicks your ads get, though traffic matters too.

(Veinglory -- Firefox News has been around for awhile and we've attracted some of the better advertisers, so per-click we're generally above a few pennies. *grin* Unfortunately, I can't release my CPM or per-click average per contractual agreements with Google.)

I have an agreement with Google so that I can share ad revenue with the writers -- Google calculates what you earn and handles the split. Google sends a payment after you earn $100 -- their rules, not mine! -- which means if you only submit one story, you're not likely to see money for a very long time. (However, if you have your Adsense on your own blog or on other sites, your income from Firefox News will just be added to that pot.)

Most nonfiction articles on Firefox News make pennies to low dollars each in the first few weeks then small residual amounts thereafter, though it really depends on the whim of Google. I am not sure what fiction will make -- though it does seem to get decent traffic, and I'm going to promote it extensively.

If you don't have an Adsense account you can sign up though Firefox News. (And yes, this applies even if you're in the UK.)

Phot's Moll
10-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the explanation - I think I understand now. If someone clicks on my story and then takes a look at an advert on the same page, I'll earn money?

I have another question (sorry - but maybe other people will want to know too)

If a story is accepted does it stay on the site (potentially earning money) forever, or just for a set period and (OK two questions) can the author remove the story if they wish?

Leva
10-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Adsense as a form of payment will generate you very little unless you commit a large amount of time to it. On sites like ehow or associatedcontent to make money via adverts you need to have upwards of 100 articles of about 400 words each to earn monthly income from ads. Its worth it if you have the time as then it becomes reoccuring income and you do nothing but takes alot of upfront time and work to get loaded up with content. It also works best if you write SEO friendly content

Casey, I would expect a writer on my site who's writing nonfiction to do better than what Associated Content or Ehow pays. I can't guarantee it because it really does vary widely from writer to writer based on topic and traffic to their specific articles, but that seems to be the general case.

(We're still talking pennies to low dollars per nonfiction article for the first few weeks, and then a certain amount of residual traffic after that.)

I don't know what fiction's going to do, honestly, as far as ad income goes. We've had some very good fiction on the site that's had lots of traffic, but I hate to make promises and then disappoint people, so I'm just going to say I'm optimistic about what will happen if I start loading the site with quality fiction.

Phot's Moll, to answer your questions, fiction will stay up on the site indefinitely. However, you will also have access to delete or edit your stories at any time.

Phot's Moll
10-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks, Leva.

Chumplet
10-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Hi Leva...

By 'reprints', do you mean previously published material, or do you also accept material either previously unpublished, or had previously appeared on the internet - say, a writing exercise on a blog, perhaps?

veinglory
10-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the explanation - I think I understand now. If someone clicks on my story and then takes a look at an advert on the same page, I'll earn money?

Generally rather than just viewing the ad they need to click on it. But some programs also pay per view. It is an important distinction.

Leva
10-08-2008, 03:22 AM
Hi Leva...

By 'reprints', do you mean previously published material, or do you also accept material either previously unpublished, or had previously appeared on the internet - say, a writing exercise on a blog, perhaps?

I will accept previously published material, including on other web sites or in print -- as long as you have the rights to it.

My logic is pretty simple.

1) It's a huge internet; odds are, most of the readers will not have read the story before.

2) I make money off sharing ad revenue. Even if your story gets less traffic -- I'm probably still getting a few pennies per story and I figure pennies add up ... eventually. And hard drive space is cheap. If the story meets our standards, I have no reason to turn the story away, even if it's been printed elsewhere.

Veinglory -- Adsense pays by both cost-per-impression (CPM) and cost-per-click formats. Depends on what the advertiser specifies.

Williebee
10-08-2008, 03:34 AM
Leva-- thanks a lot for the information, and for sharing the opportunity!

Phot's Moll
12-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Are you still accepting Submissions for this?

Leva
12-02-2008, 06:05 PM
I am, but I'm responding very slowly. I'm about three or four weeks behind, which is not typical ... Sorry about that -- both I and my assistant have been sick.

Edit to add: In the near future I'll be taking a lot more nonfiction submissions. I'll have some announcements on that in the near future.

Phot's Moll
12-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Sorry you've been poorly and hope you soon feel better.

I guess it would be better to wait until I've heard back about the piece I sent than to bombard you with more stuff?

Leva
12-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Sorry you've been poorly and hope you soon feel better.

I guess it would be better to wait until I've heard back about the piece I sent than to bombard you with more stuff?

I know my fiction queue is pretty full, and I'm going to try to work on it ASAP, so you should be hearing soon.

If you're approved, you'll be able to submit future stories directly to the site's pending queue, so please wait until you hear from me.

-- Leva

Phot's Moll
12-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Great - thanks!

padnar
12-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi Leva ,
I am Padma Narayanswamy an Indian writer and I have posted
my short story At last she forgives and I have not heard from you.
so pl write whether you received my submission?
padma

Leva
12-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Hi Padma,

I sent a response to you.

(I'm about halfway through the slush pile. I do apologize for the delay in answering everyone -- health issues were involved. I am doing a bit better now and getting caught up.)

Phot's Moll
12-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Glad you're feeling better now and look forward to hearing about my submission when you get to it.

MumblingSage
03-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Are you still accepting fiction? Your entry on Ralan.com says you aren't, but the guidelines on your site are still up.